PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Optc Converter

neevakee
02-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Hi all, it seems to be forever since I last posted on te board, but I have been busy over the last year, oh well im going to try to be more active, but that is not the point. what i need is something that will take in a duplex gigabit fiber optic connection and spit it out as gigabit ethernet. I want to do this for as cheap as possible. Im considering making a server to do the conversion, but if there is something real cheap out there that can do the same job I would consider that first.

lynx
02-26-2005, 10:48 AM
I doubt if you are going to do that "on the cheap" with either a dedicated device or a server, but I suppose that depends on what you consider cheap.

Here (http://www.go4fiber.com/products_showcase.aspx?category_id=216&category_lv=1&main_id=15) are some sample prices for media converters. Prices seem to be from about $250 upwards, depending on the type of fiber optic network.

bigdawgfoxx
02-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Will we all have to get one of those once fiber optic internet becomes mainstream (if it does)

neevakee
02-26-2005, 05:44 PM
thanks for that. Yeah the dedicated server may seem more expensive, but i think it would be nice to have a lot more space to store all my files. I dont know i have heard that if i run linux with no gui it is really fast. I will be using a laptop to connect to the network, so to have a 350-500 GB storage server would be nice, and i think the community would appreciate that. I know minus the hard drives i can put one together for about $150, but i am worried that it will not be fast enough at 600mhz.