PDA

View Full Version : Football/Soccer

bigboab
02-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Reading in the papers this morning(UK) about alleged criminal attempts or 'talk' of a certain Premeirship club trying to offload high cost players. Talk of plying them with drugs then getting them tested. 'breaking legs' outwith games etc.

I know the above sounds ridiculous. But it has reached a stage where wages and conditions are too costly. Is it time to get rid of agents, high wage packets etc. IMO they should go back to a one year contract. If you dont fulfil your promise then out on your ear. Lets get football back to where a family can afford to go and watch it every week without taking out a mortgage. :(

Chewie
02-27-2005, 12:35 PM
Hmm.

Let's put a cap on players' wages and watch all the half decent ones play in Italy & Span. Again.

bigboab
02-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Hmm.

Let's put a cap on players' wages and watch all the half decent ones play in Italy & Span. Again.

Spain and Italy are in the same situation. Only a very few clubs have multi-millionnaires backing them. The rest are going bankrupt tryin to keep up. How can anyone justify £50,000 a week for kicking a ball when the majority of people are struggling to survive. Let the sponsors pay individual players wages and see how long before they lose their sponsorship. A couple of bad games and that would be it. :) Get the admission fee down to affordable levels and watch the supporters come back. If they have not already lost them.

Cheese
02-27-2005, 01:12 PM
The hugh admission fees keep the working classes away from football. Tidies the place up imo, less violence.

^^j/k

bigboab
02-27-2005, 01:15 PM
The hugh admission fees keep the working classes away from football. Tidies the place up imo, less violence.

^^j/k

A Capitalist student. Now there is a new concept. :rolleyes:

enoughfakefiles
02-27-2005, 01:16 PM
I thought they were going to introduce that you can only pay out in wages a percentage of what the annual income was or did i dream that. :unsure:

This is the man to blame.

http://www.footballwriters.co.uk/graphics/media/JIMMY_HILL.gif

The agents are`nt much better though. :ph34r:

bigboab
02-27-2005, 01:17 PM
I thought they were going to introduce that you can only pay out in wages a percentage of what the annual income was or did i dream that. :unsure:

This is the man to blame.

http://www.footballwriters.co.uk/graphics/media/JIMMY_HILL.gif

The agents are`nt much better though. :ph34r:

Chin him then. :ph34r: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I have changed my mind. I have just noticed he is wearing my 'ole boys' tie. :whistling

Cheese
02-27-2005, 01:18 PM
A Capitalist student. Now there is a new concept. :rolleyes:

Bloody hell, I'm a capitalist militant-vegan student. :lol:

bigboab
02-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Bloody hell, I'm a capitalist militant-vegan student. :lol:

You must be doing physical and mental somersaults going in to your subsidised refectory. :cool:

manker
02-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Spain and Italy are in the same situation. Only a very few clubs have multi-millionnaires backing them. The rest are going bankrupt tryin to keep up. How can anyone justify £50,000 a week for kicking a ball when the majority of people are struggling to survive. Let the sponsors pay individual players wages and see how long before they lose their sponsorship. A couple of bad games and that would be it. :) Get the admission fee down to affordable levels and watch the supporters come back. If they have not already lost them.Attendances for the English leagues are at an all time high.

It's a competitive market - if attendances drop then prices would be lowered, it's that simple.

Some people can't afford the admission fee for their favourite club, some people can't afford to travel to their favourite holiday destination. I don't see a distinction.

Soccer players who get paid high wages are at the top of their profession and they get rewarded for it. If the employer is willing to pay a high fee to secure the services of an individual then it's nobody's business but their own.

If their business goes bankrupt because their wage bill was too high, then they need their arses kicked because they didn't plan correctly. The same is true of football clubs.

bigboab
02-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Attendances for the English leagues are at an all time high.

Sorry but I find that hard to believe. Clubs have been forced, for safety reasons, to reduce the capacity of their grounds. Some of the larger clubs, like that one with the bad goallie maybe. There are far less people paying to go to football matches in England than 50 years ago. :(

manker
02-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Sorry but I find that hard to believe. Clubs have been forced, for safety reasons, to reduce the capacity of their grounds. Some of the larger clubs, like that one with the bad goallie maybe. There are far less people paying to go to football matches in England than 50 years ago. :(My memory doesn't stretch back quite as far as yours ;)

Granted, when no-one cared about putting people inside soccer stadia akin to sardines in a can, then more people saw a live match - no-one wants to go back to that.

In my lifetime, football popularity is at it's peak and is still rising. More people go to football matches now than at any point I remember. Here are the stats (http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/aveengall.htm).

This is despite the advent of huge wages and increased ticket prices.

In any case, I actually made far more pertinent points than that.

Paying huge wages doesn't make clubs go bankrupt - bad businessmen do.

bigboab
02-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Attendances for the English leagues are at an all time high.

It's a competitive market - if attendances drop then prices would be lowered, it's that simple.

Some people can't afford the admission fee for their favourite club, some people can't afford to travel to their favourite holiday destination. I don't see a distinction.

Soccer players who get paid high wages are at the top of their profession and they get rewarded for it. If the employer is willing to pay a high fee to secure the services of an individual then it's nobody's business but their own.

If their business goes bankrupt because their wage bill was too high, then they need their arses kicked because they didn't plan correctly. The same is true of football clubs.

First point discussed.

Second point. Thirty years ago you worked one hour(Working mans wages) to earn admission fee to a football match. Now the working man has to work half a day to earn admission.

Third point. Most working people only go on holiday once a year. Football home games are at least 21 times a year. Costing one person about £400 plus extras.

Fourth point. Do the customers not count any more. It started out as a sport not a means to make money for individuals or shareholders. The cup and the title were the things that mattered not the sponsorship gained by winning them.

Fifth point. Got to go. Answer it later. :)

I have more points than my local team. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DanB
02-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Their points are prolly worth something though

bigboab
03-01-2005, 12:59 AM
Their points are prolly worth something though

Yes. Liquidation. :rolleyes:

Chewie
03-01-2005, 09:06 AM
Being a Leeds fan, I can understand resentment toward overpaid/underperforming players and the agents/boards that conspire to drive ticket prices into the stratosphere.

I think, however, that this spiral will continue until people stop going to matches, paying for TV coverage and purchasing merchandise. This is not going to happen for a while yet.

The problem is that if UK clubs want to be competitive - whether in Europe or domestically - they will have to pay for top players. When Juve, Milan, Real, Barca and many others pay such huge wages to get the players they want, the cost for UK clubs cannot fall, because they will just lose out on the players.

Skiz
03-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Soccer...meh... :dry:

Cheese
03-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Soccer...meh... :dry:

Then don't post. It really is trolling otherwise. :dry:

manker
03-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Second point. Thirty years ago you worked one hour(Working mans wages) to earn admission fee to a football match. Now the working man has to work half a day to earn admission.That's not quite true. Recently I needed to fill in a questionaire for a mate who didn't want to pay his Student loan back - the criteria is that unless you're earning 80% of the national average, you don't have to pay it - the threshold is £18000, this means the average hourly rate is £10.81.

So your average working man must work approximately 2 hours to get in to watch a match in the top league. I'd say the increase is due to the better facilities and security - who wants to be crammed into a ground without a proper view of the game and 3 local bobbies, one on a white horse, looking after everyone. Certainly not a man with his family - which I believe is your main point.

Personally if I was going to take my missus and son (he's too young atm) I'd want a seat for them both, decent police presence lest hooliganism broke out, hundreds of stewards and proper toilets - the price is unimportant c.f. their comfort and safety - I get all that in 2005 but I would have had none of it in 1950.

Watching football is more suitable for families today than it was in 1950. There can be no argument.

Third point. Most working people only go on holiday once a year. Football home games are at least 21 times a year. Costing one person about £400 plus extras.They are both luxuries that some people can't afford. The frequency of use is irrelevant.

Fourth point. Do the customers not count any more. It started out as a sport not a means to make money for individuals or shareholders. The cup and the title were the things that mattered not the sponsorship gained by winning them.The fact that hooliganism has been all but stamped out, CCTV has made the crowd safer, they get decent amenities, freedom of expression - which the highly paid superstars dont get, proper vantage points and security provided means that the customer does matter. Sure, they have to pay twice as much now but the product is totally different and well worth it.

Also I'm sure you're not insinuating that fans were more passionate back in the day, you old romantic :lol:

I have more points than my local team. :lol: :lol: :lol:If you're talking about Kilmarnock, then probably :D

The problem is that you're not looking at the big picture, moaning that soccer tickets are twice as expensive now as they were isn't logical - imagine if a bloke moaned that a Vauxhall Vectra is half the price of a Mercedes, you'd give him a look like this smiley :blink:

bigboab
03-01-2005, 02:12 PM
If you're talking about Kilmarnock, then probably :D

your area average may be about £10.00 an hour. That is not the case up here. No I am not moving south. Been there, seen there, wore the 'T' shirt.
:cool:

Owing to the above comment this will be our last 'debate' on the subject. You are now on ignore. :whistling If you want to know why ask Zero. :rolleyes:

manker
03-01-2005, 02:25 PM
your area average may be about £10.00 an hour. That is not the case up here. No I am not moving south. Been there, seen there, wore the 'T' shirt.
:cool:

Owing to the above comment this will be our last 'debate' on the subject. You are now on ignore. :whistling If you want to know why ask Zero. :rolleyes:Actually, it would be more like £8 per hour average around here - that £10.81 is the national average. Yup, including Scotland.

I think I said that.

bigboab
03-01-2005, 02:33 PM
What did he say? :rolleyes:

football
03-01-2005, 02:36 PM
What did he say? :rolleyes:not telling but it should have been..

'pwned'

http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/icons/icon10.gif http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/icons/icon10.gif http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/icons/icon10.gif

Cheese
03-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Kids shouldn't be allowed at football matches, they never stay still and don't even watch the damn match.

So, thus far I want children and the working class banned....

Cheese
03-01-2005, 02:39 PM
And obviously women after Delia Smith's woeful performance last night...

Cheese
03-01-2005, 02:40 PM
Apart from those hawt Brazilian female fans of course.

manker
03-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Apart from those hawt Brazilian female fans of course.Vicky Beckham should also be allowed - seeing her reaction when 50,000 people sing 'Posh Spice likes it up the arse' is quality.

Cheese
03-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Vicky Beckham should also be allowed too - seeing her reaction when 50,000 people sing 'Posh Spice likes it up the arse' is quality.

I eagerly await to hear the chants next time Delia Smith is at a match... :shifty:

bigboab
03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
What happens when a 'team' goes into liquidation? Do they sell them as drinks? Wonder what they will taste like. :lol:

Anyone who says they will taste like 'Becks' will be put on ignore. :lol: :lol: