PDA

View Full Version : New Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

vidcc
02-27-2005, 05:59 PM
As a fan of the book, the radio and the TV version will the new film be worth watching or will it be a let down because it's just "another remake"

see trailer here (http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/main.html)

:cool2:

Snee
02-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Maybe it'll be better than the first attempt, but I don't like what they've done with Zaphod's head, and nor do I appreciate Marvin's new look. :dry:

Cheese
02-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Option 2.

That bloke from The Office is in it though so that's good.

{I}{K}{E}
02-27-2005, 07:44 PM
trailer looks nice. :cool:

vidcc
02-27-2005, 08:49 PM
Option 2.

That bloke from The Office is in it though so that's good.

that's another thing...the office is starting here soon....remade with American actors
:angry:

Snee
02-27-2005, 09:42 PM
They probably thought that if they could destroy everything that was funny about coupling so well, then the office could do with a bash as well.

I never got why they had to do remakes of them anyway, do they not understand english english? :blink:

vidcc
02-27-2005, 10:47 PM
I never got why they had to do remakes of them anyway, do they not understand english english? :blink:
I think it had something to do with the English humor. It is hard for an English comic to make it here and those that have all say that it's not easy to adjust.

That said i strongly believe that the powers that be in the entertainment industry don't give Americans credit for "getting it"

Biggles
02-27-2005, 11:04 PM
I think it had something to do with the English humor. It is hard for an English comic to make it here and those that have all say that it's not easy to adjust.

That said i strongly believe that the powers that be in the entertainment industry don't give Americans credit for "getting it"

If they got Monty Python and Fawlty Towers I think they would get most things - well maybe League of Gentlemen might be pushing the envelope but even then ...

Remakes rarely work, but Douglas Adams was heavily involved in the movie so I will give it a whirl.

S!X
02-28-2005, 05:26 AM
stfu "manker option" all the fecking way, thank god you ppl put that option in these polls. :D

Lilmiss
03-03-2005, 12:46 AM
I can wait to see it, although I know it wont be as good as the book.

Busyman
03-03-2005, 08:18 PM

We just don't find it that funny here.

There is very little diversity in British humor. It is pretty much white British actors.

The most diversity you might have is a Scottish accent and British accent, etc which all sound simply British to us. The British accent sometimes comes off as snobby. Add to that, we rarely have people of European accent around to give us influence.

Here we have orientals, Jamaicans, white, black, etc. and it may be rolled into one skit. We relate to them better because we have had experience around them.

vidcc
03-03-2005, 08:23 PM
busy

How do you explain remakes that are identical word for word, action for action. The only difference being the actors?

Busyman
03-03-2005, 08:38 PM
busy

How do you explain remakes that are identical word for word, action for action. The only difference being the actors?
Being they aren't British?

Seems easy to explain without a British accent. :unsure:

vidcc
03-03-2005, 08:46 PM
so it's not the humor then... just the accent

i would put it down to the entertainment industry feeling they need a "name" star.

also when you say there is very little diversity in british humor on what are you basing this theory.

1. british comedy you have seen here

2. time spent in the uk experiencing british humor.

Busyman
03-03-2005, 08:53 PM
so it's not the humor then... just the accent
It plays a huge part in getting to the humor.

Sometimes I just can't understand wtf is being said.

There is a new show that I'm going to check out called Hollow Men (http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/hollowmen/index.jhtml) on Comedy Central. It looks pretty good from the previews.

manker
03-04-2005, 01:33 PM
We just don't find it that funny here.

There is very little diversity in British humor. It is pretty much white British actors.

The most diversity you might have is a Scottish accent and British accent, etc which all sound simply British to us. The British accent sometimes comes off as snobby. Add to that, we rarely have people of European accent around to give us influence.

Here we have orientals, Jamaicans, white, black, etc. and it may be rolled into one skit. We relate to them better because we have had experience around them.Somehow, I knew you'd say that.

"I don't find it funny, therefore there must be something wrong with it"

It's just too subtle for you, I've made posts on here that have just flown right over your head, so have other members. You have many strong points that I can think of, subtlety - both displaying and understanding of - is most definitely not one of them.

I would say that you'd love Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy but would hate The Office, simply because both US comics are in your face whereas the humour in The Office is much less tangible.

You just don't get it.

Busyman
03-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Somehow, I knew you'd say that.

"I don't find it funny, therefore there must be something wrong with it"

It's just too subtle for you, I've made posts on here that have just flown right over your head, so have other members. You have many strong points that I can think of, subtlety - both displaying and understanding of - is most definitely not one of them.

I would say that you'd love Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy but would hate The Office, simply because both US comics are in your face whereas the humour in The Office is much less tangible.

You just don't get it.
....and I have heard this en masse from the likes of you and others of European persuasion that just because some British comedy fails miserably over here that "we just don't get it."

Sure if it's involving some mundane or obscure (to us) saying that we haven't been exposed to...of course. That goes without saying.

Maybe saying that we don't get it correlates to "it's not fucking funny." The only thing I remember not getting was fizzy lemonade. Other than that I haven't made remarks to that effect. :dry:

If an American comedian gets up on stage and the audience doesn't get his jokes....then he's not funny. Dennis Miller sometimes springs to mind. He might reference some actor or something I personally haven't heard of and then there's only :dry: from me.

Btw you made up the "there must be something wrong with it part" so if you knew I'd say that then look again because it wasn't said (not by me). I like some British comedy and some I find fucking stupid just like some American ones. Sometimes I simply can't get past the accent and sometimes the accent helps the comedy.

I doubt the movie Snatch would have worked "Americanized". That movie was funny because it was British and to me was a classic.

Subtlety? I like Steven Wright and you can't get much more subtle than that. I haven't seen The Office yet but is it somewhat like the movie Office Space? I got humor in that movie due to my personal experience working in an office cubicle. Even the driving to work part made me laugh.

Now if The Office has no humor relating to that then...well I have to wait and see.

So maybe you're right. If I don't think it's funny then there's something wrong with it...IT'S NOT FUCKING FUNNY.

Meh, feck, w00t, and all that. :dry:

manker
03-04-2005, 02:21 PM
....and I have heard this en masse from the likes of you and others of European persuasion that just because some British comedy fails miserably over here that "we just don't get it."

Sure if it's involving some mundane or obscure (to us) saying that we haven't been exposed to...of course. That goes without saying.

Maybe saying that we don't get it correlates to "it's not fucking funny." The only thing I remember not getting was fizzy lemonade. Other than that I haven't made remarks to that effect. :dry:

If an American comedian gets up on stage and the audience doesn't get his jokes....then he's not funny. Dennis Miller sometimes springs to mind. He might reference some actor or something I personally haven't heard of and then there's only :dry: from me.

Btw you made up the "there must be something wrong with it part" so if you knew I'd say that then look again because it wasn't said (not by me). I like some British comedy and some I find fucking stupid just like some American ones. Sometimes I simply can't get past the accent and sometimes the accent helps the comedy.

I doubt the movie Snatch would have worked "Americanized". That movie was funny because it was British and to me was a classic.

Subtlety? I like Steven Wright and you can't get much more subtle than that.

So meh, feck, w00t, and all that. :dry:Okay, you said that British comedy isn't diverse, implying that there is something wrong with it. you didn't get it, at all, when I made a pretty subtle post regarding the reasoning behind me posting that I'd be good at baseball because I was good at rounders.

I'm making the comments from what I perceive about you - whether you're black, white, French, a midget - whatever, that doesn't come into it. This is why I'm hilighting you.

I'm not talking about why Americans don't like UK comedy, I'm commenting on why I think YOU would write that we (the US) don't like UK comedy. I think that you wouldn't like subtle comedy, whatever the country of origin, and I base that on what I know of you from your posts here.

I am unsurprised that you didn't extrapolate that from my post :dry:

Busyman
03-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Okay, you said that British comedy isn't diverse, implying that there is something wrong with it. you didn't get it, at all, when I made a pretty subtle post regarding the reasoning behind me posting that I'd be good at baseball because I was good at rounders.

I'm making the comments from what I perceive about you - whether you're black, white, French, a midget - whatever, that doesn't come into it. This is why I'm hilighting you.

I'm not talking about why Americans don't like UK comedy, I'm commenting on why I think YOU would write that we (the US) don't like UK comedy. I think that you wouldn't like subtle comedy, whatever the country of origin, and I base that on what I know of you from your posts here.

I am unsurprised that you didn't extrapolate that from my post :dry:
You haven't come up with anything about me not liking subtlety except that the fact that you are saying it. You are making shit up.

Rounders and baseball are related and I don't remember you saying you'd be good at it. Who knows? :blink:
Wtf that has to do with me liking subtlety is beyond me...."I don't get it."

I make my comments based on the fact that in many instances, British comedy doesn't headline here and I'm thoroughly entrenched in the comic world (not as much as I used to be).

Oh yeah Eddie Izzard is the shit over here because he's subtle....since he dresses like a beeeotch.

manker
03-04-2005, 05:23 PM
You haven't come up with anything about me not liking subtlety except that the fact that you are saying it. You are making shit up. Well spotted, it's my opinion based on the posts you've made. What else could it be.

I think that you don't like UK comedy in general, not because you're American but because you don't do subtlety very well.

Busyman
03-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Well spotted, it's my opinion based on the posts you've made. What else could it be.

I think that you don't like UK comedy in general, not because you're American but because you don't do subtlety very well.
You don't have to actually be subtle to like subtlely.

"I don't get" where you have UK comedy as being subtle anyway.

It's mostly the accent. ;)

I remember some fellas at a fight party were saying that Lennox Lewis was gay. I asked why do you say that and one of them said, "Listen to him." :dry: Idiots.

I guess a subtle difference would be soemthing like....
American audiences of Fatal Attraction liked the original ending while European audiences liked the one where she killed herself.

We liked the thriller type ending but it didn't work overseas. This is at the time the movie was in theaters or should I say.....theatres.

manker
03-04-2005, 06:22 PM
I think that one of your failings is that you don't always get it straight away if someone is being particularly subtle, it's just an opinion and everyone has certain failings - no big deal. I also think that UK comedy, on the whole, is far more subtle than US comedy.

Therefore I reckon you wouldn't like The Office but would laugh your arse off at Eddie Murphy (for example). Nothing to do with being American, it's just something I picked up on.

You may dispute the point, of course, by saying that in fact you do get it when people are being subtle but from where I sit - ya don't.

Busyman
03-04-2005, 06:27 PM
I think that one of your failings is that you don't always get it straight away if someone is being particularly subtle, it's just an opinion and everyone has certain failings - no big deal. I also think that UK comedy, on the whole, is far more subtle than US comedy.

Therefore I reckon you wouldn't like The Office but would laugh your arse off at Eddie Murphy (for example). Nothing to do with being American, it's just something I picked up on.

You may dispute the point, of course, by saying that in fact you do get it when people are being subtle but from where I sit - ya don't.
mmk. I wasn't looking for the I-Like-Subtlety-Award nor is it a failing.

On a whole, subtlely is :sleep:

I will check out the Office though...one day. Have you seen Office Space btw?

manker
03-04-2005, 06:35 PM
mmk. I wasn't looking for the I-Like-Subtlety-Award nor is it a failing.

On a whole, subtlely is :sleep:

I will check out the Office though...one day. Have you seen Office Space btw?
Yup, it's one of my favourite films - I actually bought it :ohmy:

It's one of those films you can watch again and again and still laugh.

Busyman
03-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Yup, it's one of my favourite films - I actually bought it :ohmy:

It's one of those films you can watch again and again and still laugh.
Is the The Office's humor similar?

vidcc
03-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Is the The Office's humor similar?

There are some similarities in humor with work/character interactions but "the office" is a spoof fly on the wall / real life documentary setting....where the staff know the camera in on them and it caricatures how real people "play up to the camera" during their "15 minutes of fame" in this case the boss is the "over actor"

of the clips I have seen of the US remake the boss from the uk original has been replaced by Ace Venturer (the character, not jim carey)

Lilmiss
03-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Oh yeah Eddie Izzard is the shit over here because he's subtle.

And he says Americans are humourless.
Go figure. :ermm:

Busyman
03-07-2005, 02:26 AM
And he says Americans are humourless.
....because we think he's such a hit over here......

Go figure. :ermm: (he dresses like a bitch ffs) :lol: :lol:

As a comedian, if I get up on stage, tell some jokes and no one laughs....it must be the audience' fault....

sparsely
03-07-2005, 03:56 AM
I'll probably watch it, but I honestly hope it doesn't do so well, cause if it does, we'll lose all the inside jokes & obscure references we make to it.
and I grew up with it...I saw the old TV episodes when I was small, they came on PBS, I played the text-adventure on the commodore :w00t:, and read all the books, repeatedly, from about age 13-18, and I can recite the opening paragraph from HHG2TG by heart :D

And I'm American ;)

So I'll probably watch it just because, but I probably won't like it because of how familiar I am with the story, and the mutilation it will obviously take when converted to appeal to moviegoers.

Snee
03-07-2005, 03:11 PM

Yeah, but "coupling" was using the same scripts a lot of the time, the only thing different was the actors.

I don't get why they had to make the American version, the american actors weren't even better looking than the britons.

So it has to be a problem with the accents or the lighting or something that made them make a new version. :blink:

Busyman
03-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Yeah, but "coupling" was using the same scripts a lot of the time, the only thing different was the actors.

I don't get why they had to make the American version, the american actors weren't even better looking than the britons.

So it has to be a problem with the accents or the lighting or something that made them make a new version. :blink:
The accents.

As I said, many Americans view the British accent as snobby, prim, and proper. I think I liked Snatch because it wasn't any of those things...just "down and dirty British".

Unless it's Star Wars or Lock, Stock, Mean Machine, or Snatch type British...we don't want it....and even then it's hard to be a hit. ;)

vidcc
03-08-2005, 01:27 AM
The accents.

As I said, many Americans view the British accent as snobby, prim, and proper. I think I liked Snatch because it wasn't any of those things...just "down and dirty British".

Unless it's Star Wars or Lock, Stock, Mean Machine, or Snatch type British...we don't want it....and even then it's hard to be a hit. ;)

those are films not tv shows, although some were made into tv shows.

one thing occured to me..... it may have something to do with union membership. I know that it's hard to keep the same cast of a succesful west end play if it starts running on broadway

Busyman
03-08-2005, 01:55 AM
those are films not tv shows, although some were made into tv shows.
Thayat mane's a janeyus!!! :lol: :lol: