And Life steps almost straight.
someone explain to me what stanza 3 means? :unsure:
I gotta paraphrase this thing for a project but dont understand stanze 3. :no:

DarthInsinuate
02-27-2005, 08:18 PM
hehehe, erection

Snee
02-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Darkness of the mind, where there's no light in sight?

hobbes
02-27-2005, 08:24 PM
someone explain to me what stanza 3 means? :unsure:
I gotta paraphrase this thing for a project but dont understand stanze 3. :no:

It means you are clueless about something.

Something is given to you which you don't understand. Not a single light(bulb) goes off in your head as to how to understand it.

It goes on to explain that eventually, with thought, trial and error, we can understand this thing and move forward.

tesco
02-27-2005, 08:24 PM
hehehe, erection
:P

thanks snny.

Snee
02-27-2005, 08:26 PM

Something is given to you which you don't understand. Not a single light(bulb) goes off in your head as to how to understand it.

It goes on to explain that eventually, with thought, trial and error, we can understand this thing and move forward.
It could be that.

Or it might be that the darkness is a metaphor for something else, making the darkness of the brain old age and befuddlement.

Or it might have something to do with darkness of spirit, like a depression.

hobbes
02-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Overall it is about dealing with something completely new, something we know nothing about and how we adapt to fit this thing into our lives.

Perhaps the acute and unexpected death of someone we love. We are lost in darkness, but eventually we adapt and move on.

Snny, I think darkness=ignorance

tesco
02-27-2005, 08:28 PM
darkness = sadness/depression/whatever.
i just didnt understand the third stanza.

i think i've got it now.. just gotta think of how to explain it lol.

Snee
02-27-2005, 08:29 PM
I think the problem with dickinson is that she allows for several interpretations, quite possibly by intention, I've seen it before. I'm not saying you are wrong tho', but I think that your interpretation is only one of several possible. (@hobbes)

DarthInsinuate
02-27-2005, 08:33 PM

hey, i feel like that all the time erection, hehehe

hobbes
02-27-2005, 08:38 PM
I think the problem with dickinson is that she allows for several interpretations, quite possibly by intention, I've seen it before. I'm not saying you are wrong tho', but I think that your interpretation is only one of several possible. (@hobbes)

Maybe

That is why I don't like poetry. Vague insinuations whose true meaning is only fully known to the author.

I prefer expressing myself clearly like a swift kick in the balls, rather than fuzzy metaphors.

Snee
02-27-2005, 08:44 PM
Well, I feel the same about a lot of poetry, but some of it just speaks volumes more than plain text could.

What spoils poetry for a lot of people are those assigments, like this one rossco has been given, where you have to read it.

It won't work if you are forced into it :dry: and even worse are the times when the lecturer or teacher has already decided that there's only one way to look at it, and that if you find something new they can't see then you must be wrong.

hobbes
02-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Well, I feel the same about a lot of poetry, but some of it just speaks volumes more than plain text could.

What spoils poetry for a lot of people are those assigments, like this one rossco has been given, where you have to read it.

It won't work if you are forced into it :dry: and even worse are the times when the lecturer or teacher has already decided that there's only one way to look at it, and that if you find something new they can't see then you must be wrong.

Well said.

Skiz
02-27-2005, 08:49 PM
An evening of the brain. This has something to do with being alone and/or thinking to oneself, and and no stars come out within means something like the author or person in question had no thoughts or ideas.

tesco
02-27-2005, 08:51 PM

ya, i sort of agree, but if I wasn't given an assignment i doubt i'd have read it at all. :ermm: \

btw, your sig (snny) is 232px*13px (apprx.).
Well within the size limits. :)

Snee
02-27-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks rossco, I added that bit about measuring it especially for IKE tho'. :D

:blushing: @hobbes

DanB
02-27-2005, 09:06 PM
http://www.sighost.us/members/danb/omgwtfbbqbannersm4uz.gif

Cheese
02-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Vague insinuations whose true meaning is only fully known to the author.

Not according to Barthes.

Well, at least their intentions are of little relevance to a reading of the piece.

DanB
02-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Not according to Barthes.

Fabian? :huh:

Cheese
02-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Not fair, I missed out on a poetry question.:(

My course could have finally had some use...

hobbes
02-27-2005, 09:20 PM

Well Barthes, maybe you could could translate it from the abstract to the concrete.

Cheese
02-27-2005, 09:45 PM
This should be in Bookworld.

Then my posts would count.:glare:

Snee
02-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Reported you for making a good point :happy:

tesco
02-27-2005, 11:46 PM

I'll give u another later maybe.
Depends if i'm actually going to do the work. ;)