PDA

View Full Version : The Technologically Challenged

SLY Bhai
04-05-2003, 12:42 AM
The Technologically Challenged -- True Stories from Tech Support (excerpted from the Wall Street Journal)

Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to "Press Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the "Any" key is.

AST technical support had a caller complaining that her mouse was hard to control with the dust cover on. The cover turned out to be the plastic bag the mouse was packaged in.

Another Compaq technician received a call from a man complaining that the system wouldn't read word processing files from his old diskettes. After trouble-shooting for magnets and heat failed to diagnose the problem, it was found that the customer had labeled the diskettes, then rolled them into the typewriter to type the labels.

A Dell technician advised his customer to put his troubled floppy back in the drive and close the door. The customer asked the technician to hold on, and was heard putting the phone down, getting up and crossing the room to close the door to his room.

Yet another Dell customer called to complain that his keyboard no longer worked. He had cleaned it by filling up his tub with soap and water and soaking the keyboard for a day, then removing all the keys and washing them individually.

A confused caller to IBM was having troubles printing documents. He told the technician that the computer had said it couldn't find printer. The user had also tried turning the computer screen to face the printer - but that his computer still couldn't see the printer.

An exasperated caller to Dell Computer Tech Support couldn't get her new Dell Computer to turn on. After ensuring the computer was plugged in, the technician asked her what happened when she pushed the power button. Her response, "I pushed and pushed on this foot pedal and nothing happens." The foot pedal turned out to be the computer's mouse.

vivitron 15
04-05-2003, 12:52 AM
:D :D :D :D :D

Some good ones......my dad was actually asked to come and fix the coffee cup holder, cos it'd snapped off............apparently she wasn't aware it was a CDrom

slammy_dunken
04-05-2003, 04:31 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: They all sound like natural blondes (don't take that personally). Mind if I post this in another forum? Its just so damn funny!

I thought I saw a pic where it shows the FAQ page on Compaq's website and it shows the "Where's the 'any' key?" question. can't find that anymore, though.

Wolfmight
04-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Compaq is considering changing the command "Press Any Key" to "Press Return Key" because of the flood of calls asking where the "Any" key is.

Homer Simpson: To start the computer, press any key. There does'nt seem to be any "any" key! Wew this is hard...I just order a Tab.*hits the tab ket and holds cup up to floppy disk drive opening thinking a drink will pour out* Oh wait, the Computer is Starting!

Spindulik
04-05-2003, 09:46 AM
Does anyone have the story about a customer getting technical help about a computer that wasn't plugged in, the service tech told the customer to pack everything back into the box because they were too f**ing stupid to own a compuetr?

Please post it if you got it.