PDA

View Full Version : No more death penalty for juveniles

ruthie
03-01-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm happy to say the Supreme Court has ruled there can be no more executions of juveniles. It's about time. Any thoughts?
link (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=542470)

vidcc
03-02-2005, 03:02 AM
I support the death penalty for certain crimes and have stated before that the system needs to be tightened up to eliminate any chance of errors. Beyond reasonable doubt is not good enough. It must be without any doubt whatsoever.

I do however fully agree that juveniles should not be executed or adults convicted for crimes committed when they were juveniles.

Along with this I believe the age at which one can do everything...drinking for example...should be set at the age that one can be considered old enough to be executed. Set an age that is universal for everything and at that age you are on your own.

bigboab
03-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Yes! come on. Let the wee bastards away with the ultimate crime. :ph34r:
I know you have heard it all before. But when I was young if a youngster commited a crime. He went to the court. his name went in the paper. the family were put to shame and kept them under control. (Well most of them). Forget all this the police gave me a kick in the arse. That is all bollocks. I went to court for stealing apples out of an orchard at 8. My name went in the paper. Never broke another law,

Along come the do gooders. No crimes for juveniles, no naming and shaming. Go into any Mall at the weekend and see what the do gooders have done. The kids are running riot. They are having to employ security guards in schools. I could go on and on.

Has anyone ever thought that murder may be in the genes? So lets keep them alive to breed more murders? Let's fill the prisons costing millions every year. No let's them back out again to murder again It is happening. Nobody can deny that. Happened on Monday there(UK), man put in the loony bin for stabbing someone to death. Gets out, within hours stabs someone else to death.

Think of the victims before you think of the criminals. :angry:

P.S. I hate it when the cat wants out in the bloody middle of the night. :rolleyes:

Cheese
03-02-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm happy to say the Supreme Court has ruled there can be no more executions of juveniles. It's about time. Any thoughts?

They're getting there...

bigboab
03-02-2005, 10:26 AM
This wont even let me edit.

# The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

manker
03-02-2005, 10:56 AM
This wont even let me edit.You must have pressed the quote button, it wont let you quote without writing something underneath the quote. It's foxed me when I've clicked the wrong button a few times hoping to edit.

bigboab
03-02-2005, 11:25 AM
You must have pressed the quote button, it wont let you quote without writing something underneath the quote. It's foxed me when I've clicked the wrong button a few times hoping to edit.

Thanks. I thinkl that is what i did. highlighted the text, then hit the quote button. Lots of problems with firefox. Not being able to put smilies in the centre of text. They just jump to the end. Back to IE methinks.

vidcc
03-02-2005, 03:03 PM
boab

NOBODY suggest letting them "get away with it".....they can still get life without parole, just not the death penalty

DanB
03-02-2005, 04:58 PM
So Boab you are up for the execution of kids for making the mall look untidy? :blink:

ziggyjuarez
03-02-2005, 05:07 PM
I know most of you think this is a good thing but it not.The real LA gangs see this as a reason for kids to do some of the more dangerous things.Before kids under 18 did not get tried as an adult for anything,so a lot of LA gangs used kids to delver drugs and stuff like that.If you think juveniles are uncapple of committing violent crimes then you're very wrong.

vidcc
03-02-2005, 05:15 PM
I know most of you think this is a good thing but it not.The real LA gangs see this as a reason for kids to do some of the more dangerous things.Before kids under 18 did not get tried as an adult for anything,so a lot of LA gangs used kids to delver drugs and stuff like that.If you think juveniles are uncapple of committing violent crimes then you're very wrong.

Who said they are not able to commit crime? in the examples you gave the adult that incited the juvenile to "do the deed" should be sought out and punished as well as the juvenile and that adult should get a harsher sentence.

What you also highlighted is the fact that juveniles are impressionable and therefore are easy to exploit. This is why they have protections built in.

ziggyjuarez
03-02-2005, 05:22 PM
Who said they are not able to commit crime? in the examples you gave the adult that incited the juvenile to "do the deed" should be sought out and punished as well as the juvenile and that adult should get a harsher sentence.

What you also highlighted is the fact that juveniles are impressionable and therefore are easy to exploit. This is why they have protections built in.
I'm not talking about the Washington snipper case,Now that kid was brain washed.I'm talking about the 17-16 year old kids who wants to show his gang hes cool or someing,so he does a drive by on enemies.Or the guy who robbs people but ends up stabbing and killing someone in the case.

vidcc
03-02-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm not talking about the Washington snipper case,Now that kid was brain washed.I'm talking about the 17-16 year old kids who wants to show his gang hes cool or someing,so he does a drive by on enemies.
and isn't that about being impressionable? wanting to be thought of as "cool" to impress their heroes

ziggyjuarez
03-02-2005, 06:42 PM
and isn't that about being impressionable? wanting to be thought of as "cool" to impress their heroes
:Laugh: no

vidcc
03-02-2005, 06:47 PM
:Laugh: no
why?

ziggyjuarez
03-02-2005, 07:24 PM
why?
They are not inpressing people just to be friends.Some kids just view it as a way to make money or to servive.No reason to be not punished by death.

vidcc
03-02-2005, 07:50 PM
They are not inpressing people just to be friends.Some kids just view it as a way to make money or to servive.No reason to be not punished by death.
That's not what you said

I'm talking about the 17-16 year old kids who wants to show his gang hes cool or someing

ziggyjuarez
03-02-2005, 08:10 PM
That's not what you said
you're miss understanding me here.To make someone know you are capable of doing the job they some time do crazystuff.Guess you dont know how it works.
make them know you are capable-cool-gain access-benifits
aleast thats how they view it.

bigboab
03-02-2005, 08:17 PM
So Boab you are up for the execution of kids for making the mall look untidy? :blink:

Never considered that. But seeing you have mentioned it.
:rolleyes:

vidcc
03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
you're miss understanding me here.To make someone know you are capable of doing the job they some time do crazystuff.Guess you dont know how it works.
make them know you are capable-cool-gain access-benifits
aleast thats how they view it.
And how is that not about trying to impress?

Arm
03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Even though I find life in prison to be more of a destroyer of life then capital punishment, I support the supreme courts decision. Of course I would also support banning trying someone as an adult unless they are an adult. It just makes sense to me. :)

ziggyjuarez
03-02-2005, 08:27 PM
And how is that not about trying to impress?
Its not about impressing to make buddies.

Biggles
03-02-2005, 11:44 PM

I think that it is the right move. There is nothing a society can gain from executing children and there is everything to lose. Interestingly, the Hapsburg Empire stopped executing juveniles at the turn of the 20th century. Despite, kicking off WW1 the youth who shot the Archduke, despite the enormity of the crime, was not executed but sent to prison - ironically the safest place to be during WW1.

j2k4
03-03-2005, 12:55 AM
I think the Supreme's decision begs another question:

Should a juvenile be eligible for life in prison, or any other "adult" sentence?