PDA

View Full Version : Recycling Stuff - Do You Do It?

manker
03-02-2005, 11:50 AM
It's become a bit of a hassle, I was all for it for a while but my enthusiasm has waned. Now I only recycle paper from my office - and that's 'cause someone else sorts it out for me.

Do you recycle household waste, if not would you do it if there was an incentive - such as a tax credit or a percentage off your rates bill.

DarthInsinuate
03-02-2005, 12:47 PM
at home i do, because the council provide a nice recycling collection service i can shove all my cans into a bag or put my scrap paper in a pile then just take it outside with the other rubbish once a week - it's convenient, if they didn't have this service i probably wouldn't bother

Guillaume
03-02-2005, 12:55 PM
No, but I will soon.

Or I'll get fined. Heavily.

The guys at city hall really know how to explain environmental necessities to people... :dry:

Barbarossa
03-02-2005, 01:18 PM
We get green boxes for newspapers and magazines, and blue boxes for cans, plastic bottles, white cardboard and cartons and stuff.

They get collected once a fortnight by special bin-men.

We also take glass bottles to the bottle bank, and shoes and clothes to the charity shops..

Recycling rules!!! :01:

100%
03-02-2005, 01:29 PM
There is no option here between organic and other (eg.plastic etc)
but as for glass yes

TheDave
03-02-2005, 02:50 PM
we have to recycle paper otherwise the council go round mincing kittens or something.

apparently recycling is all bullshit anyway and is actually more harmful to the earth than deforestation; as it uses more power lugging stuff around and processing it, therefore contribruting to global warming/dimming (forget which is which)

Everose
03-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Yes, I do it. :)

The reason I do it is to extend the life of our landfill. Due to new Department of Health and Environment regulations, small landfills are being phased out here and once our landfill is full, our county will have to truck our refuse many miles away to a larger landfill.

For my county this will mean an increase in taxes and a major inconvenience for many.

TheDave
03-03-2005, 02:43 PM
i reckon recycling pushes tax up more than using a different landfill will :smilie4:

sArA
03-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Since our wonderful local council decided that we all must recycle our paper, tins, bottles etc, they made doubly sure that we would by providing us with a small bin, and only collect once every 2 weeks. This way, If I didn't recycle I would never fit everything into the bin....clever little buggers huh :dry:

Busyman
03-03-2005, 07:26 PM
at home i do, because the council provide a nice recycling collection service i can shove all my cans into a bag or put my scrap paper in a pile then just take it outside with the other rubbish once a week - it's convenient, if they didn't have this service i probably wouldn't bother
Same here.

My trash days are Tuesday and Friday with recycling on Friday as well.

They take newspaper, magazines, plastic bottles and aluminum cans.

bigboab
03-03-2005, 08:17 PM
Watch the Penn & Tellers 'Bullshit' series on Recycling. It might just change your outlook. Why recycle paper? We grow trees for paper etc. It is the equivelant of recycling potato peelings. :lol: :lol:

There should be an option for 'I am forced by the Council to recycle. On the threat of a £2000 fine' :)

Everose
03-04-2005, 01:19 AM
i reckon recycling pushes tax up more than using a different landfill will :smilie4:

No, TheDave, actually if they closed our small landfill and we had to truck our household waste to the nearest landfill and pay their fee per tonage, plus trucking, etc., we would pay considerably more than we are now. My guess would be that this varies by county, and size, and even availability of vendors purchasing recycleables in any given area.

But then ours is a countwide operation and the City doesn't participate in it.

I wouldn't like to be forced into recycling, especially by my City. If that were the situation here, I would have left City employment long before I did as I wouldn't enjoy dealing with the public complaints! :lol:

Luckily our recycling is all voluntary .... they don't even pick up from your household, but do have large dumspters placed around town for people to toss into as desired.

BiGBoab-Actually our paper is ground up, mixed with water and used for daily cover at our landfill. A half inch of that replaces 6 inches of dirt daily and thereby more than triples the life of it. Not only that but they are bagging it and using it for garden mulch. I guess one man's trash can be another man's treasure, no? :lol:

j2k4
03-04-2005, 03:26 AM
Actually our paper is ground up, mixed with water and used for daily cover at our landfill.

Ah-

Is the hydro-pulping done on-site?

I only ask because I expect you know this off the top-of-your-head, or maybe you know someone who, um....knows...I think. :whistling

MagicNakor
03-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Just goes out with the other rubbish. All I've got to do is put it in a special blue bag instead of a normal black/green one.

:shuriken:

Snee
03-04-2005, 04:54 PM
:yzh: :01:

bigboab
03-04-2005, 06:50 PM
No, TheDave, actually if they closed our small landfill and we had to truck our household waste to the nearest landfill and pay their fee per tonage, plus trucking, etc., we would pay considerably more than we are now. My guess would be that this varies by county, and size, and even availability of vendors purchasing recycleables in any given area.

But then ours is a countwide operation and the City doesn't participate in it.

I wouldn't like to be forced into recycling, especially by my City. If that were the situation here, I would have left City employment long before I did as I wouldn't enjoy dealing with the public complaints! :lol:

Luckily our recycling is all voluntary .... they don't even pick up from your household, but do have large dumspters placed around town for people to toss into as desired.

BiGBoab-Actually our paper is ground up, mixed with water and used for daily cover at our landfill. A half inch of that replaces 6 inches of dirt daily and thereby more than triples the life of it. Not only that but they are bagging it and using it for garden mulch. I guess one man's trash can be another man's treasure, no? :lol:

I appreciate that Rose. No I dont, I am just saying that to be polite.:rolleyes:
I think it would also be a good idea to recycle at the source. About 35% of a tree that is cut down ends up as useable wood. What happens to the rest? The majority of it is burned where the tree is cut down. Is that setting an example to recycle?

Everose
03-04-2005, 07:32 PM
I appreciate that Rose. No I dont, I am just saying that to be polite.:rolleyes:
I think it would also be a good idea to recycle at the source. About 35% of a tree that is cut down ends up as useable wood. What happens to the rest? The majority of it is burned where the tree is cut down. Is that setting an example to recycle?

BigBoab: Absolutely not. :D But if they are going to mess up that way while cutting them down, the least we can do is make the most of the rest! :lol:

J2: Yes, it is done on site... Listen to me talk refuse...... :rolleyes:
That darn man has totally brainwashed me!! :lol: :lol: But I must add...he has his financial spreadsheets that seem to back him up!!! I am drawing the line at insulating my attic by blowing the stuff in!!!! (or at least not being the first one to try it!) :D

TheDave
03-06-2005, 11:42 AM
test - bullshit on winamp tv

http://205.209.129.180:8000/;stream.nsv
http://65.75.176.90:8000/;stream.nsv
http://65.75.168.150:8000/;stream.nsv

peat moss
03-06-2005, 06:09 PM
I go as far as taking my newspaper to work for the packing crew. :) Bit of a fight with the wife on recycling tho. I rinse the tin cans and remove lables. She thinks I'm nuts . I tell her its for our children's future.

bigboab
03-08-2005, 05:24 PM
I go as far as taking my newspaper to work for the packing crew. :) Bit of a fight with the wife on recycling tho. I rinse the tin cans and remove lables. She thinks I'm nuts . I tell her its for our children's future.

And to my children I leave 50 thousand clean tin cans. :blink:

TheDave
03-08-2005, 06:03 PM
donate your newspapers to the chippy :01:

Mr JP Fugley
03-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Cans and plastic bottles, into a different bin so it's no hassle.

I probably wouldn't bother otherwise.

bigboab
03-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Cans and plastic bottles, into a different bin so it's no hassle.

I probably wouldn't bother otherwise.

Yes, but can be rather confusing. South Ayrshire cans and plastic bottles = same bin. East Ayrshire, depending on which part you stay, you take your pick. :blink: The area I stay in. Cans, glass = black box. Paper(not books or catalogues) = Blue Wheelie. Garden Refuse = Brown Wheelie. Everything else except electrical goods = Green Wheelie. They come and collect it and dump it in the same place. :lol: :lol: Troon council got caught doing it last year. :rolleyes:

manker
03-22-2005, 01:00 PM
I really can't remember why I started this thread, I had a societal issue in mind but the notion has completely deserted me :(

Mr JP Fugley
03-23-2005, 12:05 PM
I really can't remember why I started this thread, I had a societal issue in mind but the notion has completely deserted me :(
Recycle the Poll by editing the initial question / options.

That would have the added advantage of making everyone look mental as well.

Unless they recycled their posts.

manker
03-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Damn, I can only edit the body of the poll, not the options. I could pm a mod but ... meh.

To make me seem vaguely competent, here are the results so far via the medium of a doughnut.

http://img190.exs.cx/img190/9218/snag07282zs.jpg

Mr JP Fugley
03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Update.

We are getting a new / larger blue recycle bin. Wehave asked for two.

I'll keep you all posted on developments.

bigboab
03-24-2005, 07:47 PM
Unless they recycled their posts.

I think someone in Germany has already done it. :lol:

Dont know what my name is over there. Hitler probably. :lol:

Mr JP Fugley
03-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I think someone in Germany has already done it. :lol:

Dont know what my name is over there. Hitler probably. :lol:
Nah, that would be Big Les.

You're weehans

Orange_Boy
05-02-2005, 09:23 PM
Na, never really been into all this recycling stuff..

Everose
05-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Update:

I now have a ground paper mixture mulch sprayed in my garden and flower bed areas...............

My yard is being used as a sort of 'test plot' for this mulch. I was hesitant at first because I am very protective of all things growing in my yard.

So far, I really like the results. It holds moisture in the ground, greatly limits weeds, and makes the use of pre-emergent and weed-killing chemicals unnecessary.

It has the look and texture of egg cartons. From the street, it looks like my husband got fed up with helping me pull weeds and cemented my flower beds. :lol: They do have dye you can mix with this stuff, but it adds quite a bit of expense to the process. You can also add boric acid, as an insecticide, when using as a cover at the landfill, but it would change the PH of the soil in flower beds and limit the plants I could grow, so we didn't add it to our mulch.

I can see a use for this stuff (as an alternative to chemicals) around poles and fences where you didn't want weeds to grow.

Everose
05-09-2005, 12:18 AM
My missus has an immediate use for this type of thing.

I imagine it uses standard newsprint; beyond that, what to do for a home-brewed batch? :huh:

Well, you start with any type of paper. You then run it through a grinder, which is much like a tree limb shredder. On my yard, they mixed 35 lbs of paper and 100 gallons of water, and then they sprayed it on with a hydro mulcher. So...........for a bit of it, You could tear up newspaper, fill a blender about 2/3 full of water and 1/3 paper and blend it to the consistency of pancake batter and pour. :lol: If I just needed a bit, I would soften an egg carton up with water and lay it down, though it may be a bit thicker than needed. :D

S!X
05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Hmm... So there no stfu manker or Whatever manker does option?

sparsely
05-09-2005, 01:50 AM
i recycle my body waste.

I've got some really nice shampoo if your're interested.
you gotta at least shake the bottle once a day though, or it'll congeal. ;)

uNz[i]
05-17-2005, 07:16 AM
Our council gives us 2 wheely bins. A green one for normal rubbish and a bigger yellow topped one for recyclables - glass, paper, cardboard, tin, aluminium and P.E.T. plastic.

The stuff in the yellow wheely bin gets taken to be sorted and recycled by people on work for the dole schemes. So my town even recycles the dole bludgers, in a way.

The stuff in the green wheely bin goes into a landfill, which is tapped for the methane gas it produces and that helps fuel the city's power station, which also uses natural gas.

Edit: Oh yeah, food scraps go on our compost heap in the back yard and water from the washing machine is piped onto the back lawn... it's the only green grass we have.

Voetsek
05-21-2005, 10:26 PM
paper and glass cans board thats it

hunaja
06-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Everything I can, I recycle.

maebach
06-03-2005, 02:20 AM
i try not to get plastic bags at stores to reduce

Alien5
08-17-2005, 06:52 PM
i dont recyle because im lazy

manker
08-17-2005, 09:01 PM
I really can't remember why I started this thread, I had a societal issue in mind but the notion has completely deserted me :(Still clueless.

http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/dabs.gif

GepperRankins
08-17-2005, 09:19 PM
I really can't remember why I started this thread, I had a societal issue in mind but the notion has completely deserted me :(Still clueless.

http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/dabs.gif
to make pretty graphs

twisterX
10-01-2005, 03:46 AM
im very lazy. Only the cans at the store becuase i get money. The other stuff either goes in the recylce bin or trash