PDA

View Full Version : Computer Building Guru's Please Read!

imasoldier
03-02-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey all, I want to start my own business and I was wandering where I can find place that can explain every single part and where to get them? I'm pretty sure I can build it but I just need to know what are all the parts.

Virtualbody1234
03-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Right here in this hardware section. :blink:

Peerzy
03-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Hey all, I want to start my own business and I was wandering where I can find place that can explain every single part and where to get them? I'm pretty sure I can build it but I just need to know what are all the parts.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm you want to start a PC building business but seem to have no experience with building them :unsure: bad idea in my opinion. Chances are you'll get stuck somewhere along the line and break something or waste to much time doing 1 computer it wouldn't be profitable. Try upgrading/repairing an old P2 computer before you even consider a business.

Also how legit would the business be? No pirated copies of XP i hope? Will you be getting registered as a proper company? Website? Taking on extra staff? Or is this thing 'just for friends for some extra money' because more than often you end up making hardly any money because its for friends and that your not very skilled.

bigdawgfoxx
03-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah..I can build a computer in like 30 mins...but I dont make ne money hardly if its for a friend. If you dont know what to buy to build a computer...dont try to start a business....wow

imasoldier
03-03-2005, 12:21 AM
Well thats why I want to learn :) I don;t plan on starting the business in a few days lol I just want to know what parts it takes to make one. I know how to build one for sure. Ive had my dad take apart my computer without me watching and build it back up. I just dont know what parts you need. I know all the impotand stuff like mobo, gfx card, hardrives, cd rom, dvd rom, sound card. But other things I don't know what they are. But I can build it.

HCT
03-03-2005, 01:16 AM
why dont you ask your dad

harrycary
03-03-2005, 02:01 AM
Frankly, if you have to ask, you are definitely not qualifed to go into business.

Besides what's been mentioned above, what about the liability issue? With your lack of skills, how are you going to stand behind your work? You'll go broke with customer returns. Afterall, time is money.

Believe me, I was a service manager for 7 years, it's not as simple as you are making it out to be.

imasoldier
03-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Well can one atleast learn what parts? Im 17 going on 18 and I would like to learn sorry about saying that I am going to start a business as this is for the future. Could someone point me to a place to just know what parts!!! I know how to build a computer and once I know what parts to buy Etc. I am going to build my own computer and maybe sell it on ebay and if all turns well I may build another and make a small profit out of it. That is all I want to do guys. My dad doesn't know anything about computers. I know it takes alot of work etc in it. I have a whole bunch of friends going to help me in this, so it isn't just me by myself.

Virtualbody1234
03-03-2005, 02:20 AM
Well can one atleast learn what parts? Im 17 going on 18 and I would like to learn sorry about saying that I am going to start a business as this is for the future. Could someone point me to a place to just know what parts!!! I know how to build a computer and once I know what parts to buy Etc. I am going to build my own computer and maybe sell it on ebay and if all turns well I may build another and make a small profit out of it. That is all I want to do guys. My dad doesn't know anything about computers. I know it takes alot of work etc in it. I have a whole bunch of friends going to help me in this, so it isn't just me by myself.
What do you want to know? Specifically.

sArA
03-03-2005, 02:24 AM
I have never built a computer, but I would think that the first thing to do would be to research, use google, check out reviews, forums etc...like here. :)

Ask specific questions and build up a file of information. Practice upgrading stuff like Peerzy suggested.

Go on some computer hardware courses, gain qualifications.

No one can tell you what you need specifically, because each component has pros and cons for different functions.

You build a computer for a specific purpose and need to work out the costs. A high spec gaming comp is obviously going to have more expensive components than a basic internet machine.

clocker
03-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Most of the hard work in building a PC comes before you have any parts in hand.
Determining what kind of PC the customer needs and what components will best serve those requirements while keeping to their budget is the whole trick.
Actually assembling the hard parts into the case and installing Windows is cake.
I probably spend twenty hours a week scouring forums and tech sites to see what is available and how other folks are doing so I can speak with relative authority to the customers at my shop.
Even then it's a crap shoot and you need to allow for the extra time you will spend working around the inevitable hangups and glitches.

To begin learning about parts go here....
http://www.ocforums.com/
or
http://forums.anandtech.com/

Just be aware that building a new PC and selling it to a customer is much more involved than you probably suspect.

zapjb
03-03-2005, 02:35 AM
newegg.com strongest customer service

_John_Lennon_
03-03-2005, 03:26 AM
Sink or swim.

That was my method for learning, and when I had questions, and problems I went to a motherboard site that wasnt even for my brand of Processors!

http://amdmb.com

Thats what it was when I joined, and the scope of the help areas has broadened so its now called http://pcperspective.com

Another great site up there with anandtech, or hard forums, etc.

www.newegg.com is a great place to get parts, they are one of the big sites. www.chiefvalue.com is owned by the same company, so look on both and u might save a buck.

www.directron.com
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.monarchcomputers.com
www.sidewindercomputers.com

the list goes on.

Peerzy
03-03-2005, 03:23 PM
2 Years ago i wouldn't have been able to build a computer either, i didn't set out to learn either, just by watching threads in Hardware world, replying and stuff i slowly got the basics untill a finally build one. Its not someone you can rush.

Virtualbody1234
03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
... Its not someone you can rush.
Who?

Just like you can't rush when typing.

Peerzy
03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Who?

Just like you can't rush when typing.

My computer is a real person no matter what anyone tells me :sadwalk:

Virtualbody1234
03-03-2005, 03:56 PM
My computer is a real person no matter what anyone tells me :sadwalk:
Not your computer... Isn't it your learning that you cannot rush?

bigdawgfoxx
03-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Yeah same here...I really dont know how I started to learn it all..but then I got on here and learned littttle by little...till finally i know how to do it

Snee
03-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Ive had my dad take apart my computer without me watching and build it back up. I just dont know what parts you need. I know all the impotand stuff like mobo, gfx card, hardrives, cd rom, dvd rom, sound card. But other things I don't know what they are. But I can build it.
Why did you have to go through that little exercise? :blink:

Besides, it's pretty weird if you think that's a challenge. Most parts only fit in one place or socket anyway.

I built my first (ibm compatible) PC from parts, and it was all pretty logical how things fit together even back then.

DDRFREAK1030
03-04-2005, 11:35 PM
trying to steal my idea :angry:

nah jk

um, i did this for a while. it turned out well but it ended up taking too much time too do. make sure you have people who are will ing to put their time into this. ( i am 17 and i could not handle doing too many thiings at once). It ended up stopping for me bvecause i had lack of time to study and also my friend who "delivered" the computers for me, moved. it is possible to have something lkike i had (not sure if it is legal though) but it is hard to manage time. Where to get parts? i dont really know seeing as how my friend took care of that. go to some cheap computer stores or something.

good luck man but at least try to learn most of the basics first :cool:

ive only been into computers since may 2004, learned from books and hands on. it worked :gunsmilie

sniper74
08-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I suggest taking a college course and reading up on the A+ Certification. The next step would be by a cheap computer and practice. The next stpe would be going to google and look up each computer part by its name and read up on it. Go to the library....they have FREEEEEEEE books to borrow but I have found that the library is about 10 years behind on most computer books. Like I can find maybe 1 or 2 books on Windows XP but I can find 30 books on Windows 3.1. However, the parts to a computer really hasn't changed much....other then firewire, USB, Wireless cards and things like that.

Next step I would look up info on how to start your own business and what it takes in your community.....IE the Tax laws, business laws, contractor laws, things like that. Things have changed since Bill Gates started Microsucks from his Garage.

Next is to get some capital.....IE, Money, Denero, Mula, Benjamens. In order for you to purchase the computer components you will need it. Do you have a plan on how to get that? Because if you just mow lawns for a living you might have to mow thousands of them in order to build one computer, in which case you might as well just stick to mowing lawns for a living because its crazy to do that all of your life. Research on how to make a business plan and do a little research of the computer market in your community. These days its cheaper for someone to purchase something from Dell (No I don't recommend it....but people do buy from them) or Gateway then from a local person. First off because of warrenties, and the fact it wont take 3 weeks to get their computer because you are waiting on the parts to show up.

The next thing you need to figure out is the overhead that is going to be required. I am not talking about how tall the ceiling is....overhead is how much it will cost YOU to get the business up and running. I already explained a little about capital. This is how much it will take to actually buy the tools, books, sotware, test equipment and so on and so on.

It sounds like you need to take some marketing classes as well as business classes and computer classes at your local college or high school. Start playing around with the equipment and software. Dont just focus on one peice of software but all software.

Good luck!!! :)

clocker
08-14-2005, 05:08 PM
Sniper74....

What was so compelling about this thread that you resurrected it?

imasoldier has already moved on to bigger and better things...he runs a lemonade stand just down the block from the Lounge.

Crap product, but the prices are terrific.