PDA

View Full Version : send 600MB file via GMail. - how to?

worldpease
03-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Hi, a girl I meet needs a program, so you might understand who bad I want to help her, so, I've heard there is another way of filesharing via gmail acounts.
Does this means that I can send this big file to her gmail acount?
if so, can it be done in a single atached file?
please, any info on this would be helpful.
Thank you guys.

100%
03-04-2005, 01:53 AM
gmail is only 10mb per file
try skype (never tried it but it seems to be popular)
or
else yousendit.com but 600mb will take 2 days - don't even bother

tesco
03-04-2005, 02:01 AM
wouldn't it be easier to just bunr it onto a cd?
unles you don't know her in RL. :unsure:

you could always use a torrent program to share the file with her. i did that with a friend who lives in the UK and it worked out great. :)

david622
03-04-2005, 03:34 AM
what you could do (though it'd be really annoying) is use winrar to zip the file into 60 10-meg files that have to be extracted into one large package.

However, you'll need to rename those files to .txt or something because gmail doesn't accept rars. also, she'll need to re-rename them back to rars when she recieves them.

orcutt989
03-04-2005, 03:43 AM
gmail is only 10mb per file
try skype (never tried it but it seems to be popular)
or
else yousendit.com but 600mb will take 2 days - don't even bother

12 hours at the most..

worldpease
03-04-2005, 04:48 AM
good points you all have there.

RealitY
03-04-2005, 06:35 AM
You could also use Peer2PeerMail, take a read up on it...
http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40

sparsely
03-04-2005, 07:17 AM
if your bandwidth is good enough, the best way would probably just be to set up an FTP server on your machine, and let her get it that way.

freak
03-04-2005, 09:57 AM
There is a gmail drive thing that allows u to up to gmail with no limit as long as it under a gig...

This is simple to do, and what it does is make gMAIL a drive on your comp, just like the "C,D,E.... ect." Just fallow the fallowing instructions and you will do just fine....

1) Download the file at the bottom named "gmailfs.zip
2) Extract it into a folder on your comp... MAKE SURE ALL THE FILES ARE IN 1 FOLDER!!!
3) Run the installation; Setup.exe
4) Finish the setup
5) Open "My Computer"
6) Double Click on gMAIL drive and log in...

If you want to sign in as a different account (like i do to put more files in there) just right click on the gMAIL drive and click "Login as...."
Thats it

http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/storage2/gmailfs.zip
This is the file that you extract it with... (.zip format)
http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/storage2/Pic.JPG
This is just to show it works

Angelfire doesn't give direct linking so; Right Click, save as... Or copy and paste in browser... the Pic is still fine..

Please Post Feedback, Comments Or Bugs.

This a great way to transfer files from one computer to another, for example, you and your friends both wanna play a game, but the installer on the website is down and only one of you have it, Your comp doesn't have a burner (Rare.. But just an example) and the files is too big to send over msn, or any other instant messangers... All you do is, place file in the drive. Go to friends instill the program, log in as you, there you go, the files can easily transfered onto his computer.

good for storing movie's ENJOY

nanotek
03-04-2005, 12:36 PM
why not just meet in some irc channel u create and then dcc it to her ? thats if your ul is quick enough , heck u could even meet up on soulseek as well and do it that way

graveyard88
03-05-2005, 01:05 AM
why not just meet in some irc channel u create and then dcc it to her ? thats if your ul is quick enough , heck u could even meet up on soulseek as well and do it that way

I second that motion, Sounds like the easiest thing to do and it's what I would do if I wasnt able to just burn it and hand it to her.

dudevenezuela
03-05-2005, 01:50 AM
There is a gmail drive thing that allows u to up to gmail with no limit as long as it under a gig...

This is simple to do, and what it does is make gMAIL a drive on your comp, just like the "C,D,E.... ect." Just fallow the fallowing instructions and you will do just fine....

1) Download the file at the bottom named "gmailfs.zip
2) Extract it into a folder on your comp... MAKE SURE ALL THE FILES ARE IN 1 FOLDER!!!
3) Run the installation; Setup.exe
4) Finish the setup
5) Open "My Computer"
6) Double Click on gMAIL drive and log in...

If you want to sign in as a different account (like i do to put more files in there) just right click on the gMAIL drive and click "Login as...."
Thats it

http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/storage2/gmailfs.zip
This is the file that you extract it with... (.zip format)
http://www.angelfire.com/ab8/storage2/Pic.JPG
This is just to show it works

Angelfire doesn't give direct linking so; Right Click, save as... Or copy and paste in browser... the Pic is still fine..

Please Post Feedback, Comments Or Bugs.

This a great way to transfer files from one computer to another, for example, you and your friends both wanna play a game, but the installer on the website is down and only one of you have it, Your comp doesn't have a burner (Rare.. But just an example) and the files is too big to send over msn, or any other instant messangers... All you do is, place file in the drive. Go to friends instill the program, log in as you, there you go, the files can easily transfered onto his computer.

good for storing movie's ENJOY

I use Gmail drive but still has 10mb attach limit

freak
03-05-2005, 09:04 AM
I use Gmail drive but still has 10mb attach limit

Really? I've only used it once but it let me store a full movie??? It really has no point though as there are better methods...