PDA

View Full Version : Are you prone to agression?

Everose
03-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Article (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=594&e=2&u=/nm/20050304/hl_nm/aggression_finger_dc)

This article is about a study that suggests a male's tendacy to aggression can be measured by the fingers on his hand.

It clearly states the study findings are just one small piece of the puzzle and there are many other variables. It also states that the study only indicates whether a male is prone to aggression...........not whether he will act on it.

I am wondering if this information is useful. Anyone have any thoughts on its possible use?

After examing your own fingers, please share your findings and how you feel if this relates to your level of aggression. :D

bigboab
03-05-2005, 12:42 AM
Yes I think I would tend to agree with this 'study'. I have found that people with 'short fingers' tend to be more aggressive. I am excluding short people in this, as I find them on the whole to be aggressive irrespective of their finger size.

TheDave
03-05-2005, 12:53 AM
mine are pretty much the same :sowhat:

vidcc
03-05-2005, 01:27 AM
I remember a couple of years ago a study that showed men with longer second fingers where more prone to be "gay".... now this report suggests they are more prone to aggression because of over exposure to testosterone :blink:

That would explain a lot of bitchiness I suppose

Everose
03-05-2005, 03:34 AM
I remember a couple of years ago a study that showed men with longer second fingers where more prone to be "gay".... now this report suggests they are more prone to aggression because of over exposure to testosterone :blink:

I think it is the ring finger length, and whether the index finger is shorter than it, that this study speaks of, Vidcc.

And there are many types and definitions of aggression. Even cultural differences in the displaying of it. In some cultures, aggression would involve physical attack. In others, it may simply be the raising of an eyebrow. Vigorously defending your viewpoints or belief system is a form of aggression, too. Being 'driven' is also a form of aggression.

As far as the bitchiness. I imagine this could also be looked at as a defense mechanism or an aggression, could it not? :D If someone gets this way with me, I am definitely up to the task to give it right back to them. But it would be rare for me to instigate this type of aggression without being provoked. I think that is the same with most people.

Actually, I originally thought of how many studies have been put out about men's index fingers and thought it a little ridiculous, too. :lol:

vidcc
03-05-2005, 04:07 AM
I think it is the ring finger length, and whether the index finger is shorter than it, that this study speaks of, Vidcc.

the same as the "gay study"

Arm
03-05-2005, 04:44 AM
My fingers are quite long. I think. :unsure:

cpt_azad
03-05-2005, 08:12 AM
I've been known to stab people for sneezing :ph34r: oh wait, nvm, that was just a dream :(

bigboab
03-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Does this mean they are not 'gay' when they are standing up? (I was going to put erect there, but I thought it would be inappropriate).

P.S. I have long fingers. Does this mean I have been 'missing' out on some kind of sexual activity. :rolleyes:

vidcc
03-05-2005, 04:20 PM
My fingers are quite long. I think. :unsure: if you read the article it's not how long all your fingers are, it's if your ring finger is longer than your index finger

j2k4
03-05-2005, 10:44 PM
I am possessed of whatever degree of aggressiveness would accrue to someone whose ring finger is approximately 6 millimeters shorter than his 4th finger.

I find that when I curl my fingers into a fist, it is next to impossible to tell how long any of them are. ;)

Arm
03-05-2005, 10:53 PM
if you read the article it's not how long all your fingers are, it's if your ring finger is longer than your index finger
:huh: I did read the article. I guess I missed the term "second finger." ;)

clocker
03-06-2005, 02:59 PM
I am possessed of whatever degree of aggressiveness would accrue to someone whose ring finger is approximately 6 millimeters shorter than his 4th finger.

I find that when I curl my fingers into a fist, it is next to impossible to tell how long any of them are. ;)
I noticed this when I visited.
I can confirm that it is true.

He has failed to note that he is only 18" tall however, so absolute finger length (or fist diameter for that matter) is basically irrelevant.

My kneecaps took quite a beating that week I must admit.

Everose
03-06-2005, 03:41 PM
I noticed this when I visited.
I can confirm that it is true.

He has failed to note that he is only 18" tall however, so absolute finger length (or fist diameter for that matter) is basically irrelevant.

My kneecaps took quite a beating that week I must admit.

This image is disturbing. Thoughts of 'fallout' and all.....what with the last visual image you presented of yourself on this board, Clocker. (Have you made it out of the chair, then Clocker?) :lol: :lol: :lol:

j2k4
03-06-2005, 03:46 PM

Just so; now you know that I am a republican because it is the party of an oppressed minority (really, really-no, really!)-short people.

The Dems just weren't offering anything I could use. :whistling

Biggles
03-06-2005, 03:46 PM
After realising that they are counting the thumb as a finger I appear to have got my head around this. My ring finger just has the edge on my "second" finger. Although it does appear to vary slightly depending on how I hold my hand up.

Does this mean I'm balanced? :blink:

j2k4
03-06-2005, 03:50 PM
After realising that they are counting the thumb as a finger I appear to have got my head around this. My ring finger just has the edge on my "second" finger. Although it does appear to vary slightly depending on how I hold my hand up.

Does this mean I'm balanced? :blink:

Certainly not.

It just means you are not available on Saturdays.

Biggles
03-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Certainly not.

:( I was worried that might be case.

Everose
03-06-2005, 04:08 PM
'On the other hand', though, Biggles.....it may show that you are available on Saturdays. :lol:

Biggles
03-06-2005, 05:10 PM
'On the other hand', though, Biggles.....it may show that you are available on Saturdays. :lol:

I'm available most days - but that is a different story. :ermm:

bigboab
03-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Certainly not.

I have heard this in the corridors of power. :cool: The passageway in the local Electricity Board. :)

vidcc
03-06-2005, 06:16 PM
I think the best indicator of one being prone to agression is found in the ability to extend the finger in the middle past the two on either side

Biggles
03-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I have heard this in the corridors of power. :cool: The passageway in the local Electricity Board. :)

Big Aggie has been talking again - the shame :ph34r:

bigboab
03-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Big Aggie has been talking again - the shame :ph34r:

:lol: How do you know what they call me? :ph34r:

Snee
03-07-2005, 02:41 PM
It's weird, 'cos I should be really aggressive according to that, but that's only in part true.

I mean, I don't go out seeking a fight (unless I'm drunk), preferring instead to seek alternative ways to resolve a conflict, but that's physically.

I've got no problem arguing with someone if I think they are wrong, or if I really don't like them, and I don't much like authority that much either, so I'm not too easy to order around (unless I feel like going along with your wishes 'cos you are a friend or something and/or it makes sense), although I don't like to dominate others either.

Edit: Given the discrepancy between my fingers I should be out ripping heads off people right now.

Yet people tend to percieve me as a nice guy, and it's rare for anyone to be afraid of me or find me threatening.

Article naming the fingers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4314209.stm)

vidcc
03-07-2005, 03:02 PM

Article naming the fingers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4314209.stm)
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40885000/jpg/_40885197_hand203.jpg

did they study Aliens ????? :unsure:

Barbarossa
03-07-2005, 03:07 PM
My 4th finger is a good centimetre longer than my 2nd finger, which is also pretty long anyway... :huh:

I find my supreme ability at piano-playing more than makes up for any aggressive tendencies I may have, also helped by my self-control and sense of free will. :dry:

Research like this is complete nonsense, everyone knows the most aggressive men are short in stature with tiny dicks and low IQ's. :wacko:

clocker
03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Research like this is complete nonsense, everyone knows the most aggressive men are short in stature with tiny dicks and low IQ's.:wacko:
The prudent amongst us are now donning our shinguards.
J2 should arrive momentarily to discuss this with you.
I'm sure that he will disagree with at least one of your qualifications.

bigboab
03-07-2005, 05:13 PM
My 4th finger is a good centimetre longer than my 2nd finger, which is also pretty long anyway... :huh:

I find my supreme ability at piano-playing more than makes up for any aggressive tendencies I may have, also helped by my self-control and sense of free will. :dry:

Research like this is complete nonsense, everyone knows the most aggressive men are short in stature with tiny dicks and low IQ's. :wacko:

Statistics have proved that you cant trust statitics. :blink:

Snee
03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not tall.