PDA

View Full Version : I just found out that I need surgery.

Rip The Jacker
03-06-2005, 12:17 AM
:Sigh:

Last night I couldn't sleep, whenever I would lie down, the left side of my groin would hurt really badly. I had to stand up and walk around at night. I finally was able to fall asleep, and when I woke up, it hurt even more. Now it hurt when I was lying down, or sitting, or standing up.

My dad ended up calling an Ambulance. I told the two guys I was in a great deal of pain. I couldn't do anything, it was that bad. They said they couldn't do anything, took my blood pressure, and told me to go to a hospital. Since it wasn't an emergency, they wouldn't take me, otherwise they'd bill me "up to a thousand dollars."

So I went to the hospital's emergency room, filled out some forms, and the doctor called me in. He said I might have what is called a "Hernia." They took me to another doctor who examined me, and said I definitely have a Hernia, and I definitely need surgery. A Hernia is when "a piece of intestine slips through a weakness in the abdominal wall, creating a bulge you can see and feel." It hurst when I cough, lift something heavy, or stand for a long time.

http://www.herniainfo.com/figure3.gif

The lower left side of my groin is swollen, and it really hurts, even when I'm just standing there. I have to wait until Monday, and I have to have my personal doctor recommend the surgery first, otherwise they won't do it. So now I can't go to work, I can't go to school, and I need surgery. I'm terrified.

One day your sitting there at home, doing just fine, the next day your lying down in a hospital bed having a doctor tell you that you need surgery. :(

Biggles
03-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Bad Luck!

Although incredibly painful these things are pretty routine and you will soon be back on your feet. Small comfort I know.

callum
03-06-2005, 12:28 AM
I think jonno has just recovered from the same thing and ratfaced may have had it in the past as well,

bigboab
03-06-2005, 12:29 AM
Dont worry about it, it is quite common. This time next week you will be laughing about it. Just think about all those lovely nurses. :rolleyes:

keyser_soze
03-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Make sure you get a bed bath m8 ;) all jokes aside my brother had a hernia and got it sorted np, some ppl just live with it depending on the seriousness, have you ever thought of applying for a U.K citizenship? you might have to wait awhile till u get the op but it'll be free :D
take care m8 and don't worry.

Lilmiss
03-06-2005, 12:44 AM
I know people that have had hernia's, and were in extreme pain so I sympathise there.
Not that you will need it, but good luck with the surgery. Hope it all goes well.

Rip The Jacker
03-06-2005, 01:06 AM
So this kind of thing really is common?

Wow thanks you guys, I'll try not to worry too much about it.

enoughfakefiles
03-06-2005, 01:20 AM
Joey Tribbiani had one. :D

Footballers get them a lot. :ohmy:

{I}{K}{E}
03-06-2005, 01:35 AM
:(

I always thought Hernia had something todo with your back.. hmm maybe the Dutch word 'hernia' means something else. :unsure:

Smith
03-06-2005, 01:38 AM
Tuff luck :( me hopes you gets better :D

j2k4
03-06-2005, 02:06 AM
Dont worry about it, it is quite common. This time next week you will be laughing about it.

I agree that it is not worth alot of worry, Boab, but laughing?

Next week?

Don't bet on that. :huh:

Take 'er easy, Rip-don't push it.

You'll be fine, but don't go bowling for, oh....six weeks or so... ;)

hobbes
03-06-2005, 02:25 AM
:(

I always thought Hernia had something todo with your back.. hmm maybe the Dutch word 'hernia' means something else. :unsure:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/9540.jpg

herniated disc?

"To herniate" simply means to bulge beyong ones' normal confines. Whether it be a disc or bowel, both can herniate.

Don't worry Rip.

The surgery itself holds almost no risk. It is just the putting you to sleep which is the scary part, for you. But that is just in your head, this is about as routine a surgery as you can get.

Rip The Jacker
03-06-2005, 03:24 AM
@j2k4
Damn six weeks is a long time. I'm going to ask if its safe for me to go back to work after a few days, as long as I don't do any lifting from now on.

@hobbes
I'm just worried about not being put to sleep. One doctor said they might just make my groin area numb, and do the surgery with me lying down awake and looking up. I don't want that, I'd perfer being put to sleep, surgeries make me queezy. :(

Expire
03-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Yup...Hernias suck big ass...ive had 2!!!

When I was about 7 I has my 1st one on the left side, by the time I was 13 it had burst out of the right, I have symetrical scars.

Im still live and kicking though and im sure u will be soon. Good luck with the op:)

hobbes
03-06-2005, 03:43 AM
@j2k4
Damn six weeks is a long time. I'm going to ask if its safe for me to go back to work after a few days, as long as I don't do any lifting from now on.

@hobbes
I'm just worried about not being put to sleep. One doctor said they might just make my groin area numb, and do the surgery with me lying down awake and looking up. I don't want that, I'd perfer being put to sleep, surgeries make me queezy. :(

Drugs are good hmmkay.

Instead of risking your life with intubation, they can numb your skin and give a drug called a sedative-hypnotic. This drug will cause your mind to view what is happening to your body as an indifferent event. You will "feel" like you are someone who is watching a surgery, not someone who is having it. When they are done, you will generally forget the whole event.

Rip The Jacker
03-06-2005, 03:52 AM
@Expire
Thanks alot. :D
You've had 2 Hernia's? Just one is killing me, I hope it never comes back.

@hobbes
Sounds fun. As long as I'm drugged and don't know whats going on, I guess its ok. This will be my first scar. :(

tesco
03-06-2005, 04:21 AM
Get better soon.
My aunt has a hernia, it's scary stuff. :fear:

colt45joe
03-06-2005, 06:58 AM
my dad just had surgery done because he had a hernia last week. but even now its still hurting him, and yesterday the doctor said he got infected or something like that, so my dad is all pissed cause he thinks the doctors messed up or something..which im not sure if they did or not..but yeh, it sucks, hes in a lot of pain.

S!X
03-06-2005, 07:26 AM
lol pwned. My science teacher said a hernia is pretty much when ur inside is like ripped and ur guts are trying to get out :sick:

bigboab
03-06-2005, 08:38 AM
So this kind of thing really is common?

Wow thanks you guys, I'll try not to worry too much about it.

Two of my nephews have had the operation in the last year. Both football players. As someone said if it is not too painful they just let you live with it.

Best of luck with the op. :)

DRACOJOE2
03-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Don't worry too much. It's a simple Op they just make a incision about three inches long right above where ya leg meets ya belly and sew the rip in your muscle wall and sew ya skin back. I had this when I was 16. will be sore for awhile because of where it is. walking pulls on it. two or three weeks after you will be doing near normal. Good Luck man.

TheDave
03-06-2005, 01:15 PM
ive never had one so all i can do is laugh at your pain, sorry

Rip The Jacker
03-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the comforting replies you guys... exept you Dave. :P

@JP Fugley
Since you asked nicely, I would have given it. :P
But I havn't bought one yet, I was planning on buying my iPod sometime this week, but all of this got in the way.

This Hernia is screwing everything up. After the surgery I won't be able to do much for 2-3 weeks.
- I can't go to school, so my grades will drop.
- I can't go to work, so my paychecks will stop coming in.
- Worst of all, I'm in the Work Experience program at school. I'm 5 credits short, and with Work Experience, I get 10 credits for having a job, as long as I work on 3 school days every week, and I have to work at least 20 hours a week.

I can't work 3 school days, I can't work 20 hours, this is going to screw up the Work Experience. And then I'm going to be 5 credits short of graduating again. I also have to attend their meetings every Tue. morning at school, I can't do that either.

As for right now, I'm not sure if I should go to work today. The pain is somewhat gone, but I have to be standing up for 5 hours.

Guillaume
03-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Inguinal hernias often produce a dark bulge on the affected region. So before anyone gives you any sh*t, gather your strengths and go wave it at them.
that will certainly convince anyone you're not skiving...

Or convince them you're a perv that likes going around exposing his crotch. ;)

TheDave
03-06-2005, 10:29 PM
no school or work for 3 weeks, must feel like torture

DanB
03-06-2005, 10:35 PM
RTJ, I am sure your school will understand, after all its not your fault or anything

namzuf9
03-06-2005, 10:55 PM
When my son was born he came out with two hernias, one strangulated which required emergency surgery. The other was not so bad and was operated on a few months later.
Poor little sod, he had more operations than me in just the first year of his life.

Its a painful recovery because of the internal stiches, but I hope you dont suffer too much.

I'd recommend asking to be sedated, I need to be when undergoing any dental surgery (bad phobia). the sensation it gives you has to be experienced :w00t:

sparsely
03-07-2005, 07:01 AM
HashLink for file:
Weird Al Yankovich - Living With A Hernia.mp3
Size: 2,811,629 bytes

HashLink
arlnk://F5eflEAb35gLgEOtrd0lJkuNtBbbekZza93ebLXzd6+6IthdNgrz/Uhqmun1N0fsT1H3Na3EBOp6nA5NJHld4xUXcvwv4E3ch9fl+80EYzrmRzks8cW4

Magnet URI
magnet:?xt=urn:sha1:CQFOPJJPUJONSKJMIRF6SU37CYPXVFPF&dn=Weird Al Yankovich - Living With A Hernia.mp3

sArA
03-07-2005, 11:39 PM
My daughter had a hernia operation when she was 9. She recovered really quickly, although it was only a small one.

I am sure you will be fine really soon RTJ, and your school will almost certainly let you off on the credits thing for a week or two.

hobbes
03-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Well, did you live?

DanB
03-12-2005, 01:00 AM
the silence is a bit ominous

tesco
03-12-2005, 02:05 AM
oh nos. :crying:
hope he's ok. :unsure:

Adster
03-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Il probably get it too its in my family my father had 2 operations came back again my brother how old are you ??? I thought your only young!! dam young people get it at that age your nuts apperently hurt like fuck

Rip The Jacker
03-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Well, did you live?
Yeah, I lived, and boy do I have a story to tell.

You guys were right, the surgery itself was quick and easy. They put me to sleep, so it was really quick. I remember them taking me into the big cold surgery room with the bright lights above me. The doctor came in and said Hi, and asked a few questions, and said they were going to put me to sleep. Moments later I woke up in the recovery room, and it was all over with.

Now, after the surgery, the recovery process, is horrible. I woke up to pain and was really dizzy. I had to have 2 people help me out of bed, they asked me to walk around a little, and sent me home an hour later. I was really nauseous on the way home, and was throwing up like crazy. It was terrible, I was about to cry. I went home, got in bed, and tried to sleep. I got up many times in the middle of the night, and threw up over and over.

I've been home for about 4 days now, and the pain is slowly going away. It still hurts, and I'm unable to walk easy. It hurts when I'm not doing anything, it hurts when I cough, sneeze, laugh, etc. I couldn't even use the bathroom up until today. Its terrible, I can't even take a shower until they remove the stitches. I'm going to get them removed on Monday, and from what I hear its a really painful process.

So now I'm waiting, constently in pain, and barely sitting down in front of my computer. I'm still taking medicine for the pain, and I'm getting the stitches removed on Monday.

But yeah, you guys were right. Surgery is really quick and easy, the recovery process though, is a horrible experience. I might be gone for a while, I don't know how much longer I can sit here before the pain starts to kill me.

@Adster
Yeah I guess you can say I'm young. It turns out these kind of things happen often, I found out that its happened to my dad and uncle, as well as other relatives.

hobbes
03-12-2005, 06:05 AM
Good to hear you are on the path to recovery. You will return to 100% soon.

Rip The Jacker
03-12-2005, 06:08 AM
Yup.

It's kind of unfortunate though, I can't lift heavy things any more, ever. Oh well, I'm just glad this whole thing will be over soon. :)

bigboab
03-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Yup.

It's kind of unfortunate though, I can't lift heavy things any more, ever. Oh well, I'm just glad this whole thing will be over soon. :)

You might eventually be able to lift heavy weights with doctors permission. It is how you lift them that maybe have to change. Good to hear you are recovering.
:)

100%
03-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Ouch
I had the same operation done on me 3 times (some doctors errors....)
good to hear your ok.
I hate it when you wake the next morning in the hospital in pain, the nurses come to clean your room and tell you to get up...no sympathy
i almost passed out.
Did they make a nice cut?

Harsh!
03-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I persoanlly wouldnt worry about it...
Its quite a common procedure these days,