PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get?

Peerzy
03-06-2005, 02:25 AM
Share shooting pains in there heart just about it. Its been getting worse for me a few months now, and my dad's side of the family all have had heart issues, right now im in suh pain i cannot move my arm up and down because it is triggering the pains, its not a muscle or bone or anything though its the heart and artery/vain about it.

Anyone have any ideas, and is this normal for a 20 year old? have had nothing to drink tonight either.

EDIT: Usually i get the pain for say 5 seconds and then its got for another week but i've had this for a good 5 minutes, i went to lay down but i couldnt as the pain got so much worse. If i move my right arm away from my body the pain worsens, if i put pressure on my heart with my hand it hurts even more. Coughing for some reason doesnt seem to help either, and im very tense for some reason which seems to be reducing the pain slightly, if i loosen my arm it slowly grows and my hand is shaking like a rattle.

It seems stretching backwards (my rib cage and that area causes the most pain, which would explain why i cannot lay down.

MagicNakor
03-06-2005, 03:06 AM
I'd say that it's not normal, but I'm not a medical doctor, which is the person you ought to be asking.

:shuriken:

hobbes
03-06-2005, 04:27 AM
Share shooting pains in there heart just about it. Its been getting worse for me a few months now, and my dad's side of the family all have had heart issues, right now im in suh pain i cannot move my arm up and down because it is triggering the pains, its not a muscle or bone or anything though its the heart and artery/vain about it.

Anyone have any ideas, and is this normal for a 20 year old? have had nothing to drink tonight either.

EDIT: Usually i get the pain for say 5 seconds and then its got for another week but i've had this for a good 5 minutes, i went to lay down but i couldnt as the pain got so much worse. If i move my right arm away from my body the pain worsens, if i put pressure on my heart with my hand it hurts even more. Coughing for some reason doesnt seem to help either, and im very tense for some reason which seems to be reducing the pain slightly, if i loosen my arm it slowly grows and my hand is shaking like a rattle.

It seems stretching backwards (my rib cage and that area causes the most pain, which would explain why i cannot lay down.

You sound like you are having irritation of a nerve. If the pain is "sharp" and fells like it shoots like an electric shock, that would be likely. If the pain changes on positioning that would also support that idea.

A "heart attack" does not come with sharp pain. It is described as dull pressure, like an elephant is sitting on your chest. It is the left arm that goes numb, not the right.

If it is a heart problem, you would have symptoms with activity, but not positioning.

If taking a deep breath makes it worse, you might have inflammation of the lining of the lung or the lining which surrounds the heart.

I remember having similar pains while Christmas shopping at 19. I finally told my friend I had to go home, I was having terrible pain. Aspirin relieved the pain but I still got an imaging study of my heart which was normal.

Rule of thumb- sharp pain:good Dull pressure and shortness of breath:bad.

See a doctor if it will give you piece of mind.

bigboab
03-06-2005, 08:27 AM
First, see a doctor. Better safe that sorry. :)

It is more than likely, as Hobbes says, a trapped nerve. Possibly in your shoulder blade. Anyone who suffers from Sciatica will empathize with you. I am 95% sure it is not a heart attack. I have had at least two heart attacks and I had to get a triple bypass six years ago. With a heart attack you get similar symptoms in your shoulder, shoulder blade, left arm or all three. Plus you will get similar pains like indigestion, only a thousand times more painful. The crushing pain as described by Hobbes comes on in the final stages and is a warning to stop activity of any kind.

It is very difficult for a doctor to know the difference between a heart attack and indigestion. That is why most clinics now have a machine available. Plus they take blood tests. The first time I had one I was sent home with Gavascon indigestion tablets. The doctor did take a blood test however. Two hours later the phone rang to inform me that an ambulance was on its way to take me to hospital. What was the first thing I did? I RAN up the stairs to get my pyjamas packed. Silly old bugger. :lol:

Peerzy
03-06-2005, 12:43 PM
Okay thanks for the help guys, the pain went after 30mins-60mins and i went to sleep and i'll be fine for a few weeks now. Im kinda edgy because my dad had a heart attack about a month ago without even noticing and on a routine checkup they discovered he had heart issues, they then looked at the family tree and 3 uncles and a grand-grand father had died of heart attack or heart issues.

By the way heavy breathing caused alot of pain, as did coughing. Also if i ever said right arm i ment left, the one nearest the heart. I tried to take my mine off it but all that was on tv was Formula 1 :no: i just ended up falling asleep after a while.

bigboab
03-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Thats good news. Remember if it is heart disease as in a genetic abnormality this is generally shown in shortness of breath as the main symptom. Heart attack has mostly all the pain symptoms described above and is generally caused by narrowing or blocking of arteries or a blood clot.

Snee
03-07-2005, 03:01 PM
A "heart attack" does not come with sharp pain. It is described as dull pressure, like an elephant is sitting on your chest. It is the left arm that goes numb, not the right.

Unless he's one of those rare people with a right side heart. But it turns out he meant left anyway.

I agree with you on the rest tho'.

Anyhow, an examination won't hurt you, peerzy. And I think you need it.