View Full Version : [F1] new rules = stupid

TheDave
03-06-2005, 04:33 PM
1 set of tires per race?
2 races per engine?

why don't they just ban overtaking :dry:

DarthInsinuate
03-06-2005, 04:34 PM
i don't see how it stops overtaking :unsure: , i wasn't even aware there was overtaking in forumula one

TheDave
03-06-2005, 04:38 PM
it means no-ones gonna push their luck

SeK612
03-06-2005, 05:23 PM
i don't see how it stops overtaking :unsure: , i wasn't even aware there was overtaking in forumula one

Possibly as overtaking tends to damage the tires as you move out of the racing line and onto dirty track. Overtaking does occur fairly frequently and is how people gain positions other to that which they started (combined with good/bad pit stops and factors such as crashes and retirements).

On the face of it those rules do seem a bit weird. The engine is fair enough I suppose but limiting both these and the tires will affect the weaker teams who don't have the finances to pour into engine and tire testing.

Expire
03-06-2005, 05:32 PM
it means no-ones gonna push their luck

Yup...it means its gonna get EVEN more boooring.

Peerzy
03-06-2005, 06:05 PM
If your doing really shit though you can crash your car/choose not to end the race, and then you can change your engine for the next race. It adds an element of tatics. Not that i've ever watched F1 apart from last night when they were talking about it.

Adster
03-06-2005, 11:19 PM
well it did get boring teaching Ferrari win every week ........ go mark Webber!! finished 5th australian has won a race since alan jones i think a long time ago

enoughfakefiles
03-06-2005, 11:38 PM
Have they introduced that rule where the driver gets out of his car in the pits and the mechanics spin them round a few times and them put them back in thier cars........ :01:

I do beleive the changes were made because ferrari were dominatig a bit with the never ending cash flow. :rolleyes:

sArA
03-07-2005, 12:48 AM
Part of the enjoyment of F1 was the tyre changes....:( 7 second pit-stops and all that jazz.

Seems like they are clutching at straws trying to find any way to equalise the field and make for more exciting racing. I would imagine that Ferrari would be more than happy to agree, as I belive the viewing ratings and therefore merchandising opportunities were dropping.

Anything to get the money in.....

{I}{K}{E}
03-07-2005, 09:02 AM
FIA Rules & Regulations Sporting Regulations
2005 season changes

A number of changes to both the Sporting and Technical Regulations have been made by the FIA for the 2005 Formula One season.

Qualifying
The 2005 race weekend will feature one qualifying session on Saturday afternoon and another on Sunday morning.

The first session will run from 1300 to 1400 on Saturday and will, as in 2004, be single lap qualifying, with the cars going out in the reverse order of their finishing positions at the previous race.

The second session, from 1000 to 1100 on Sunday, will also use the single lap format, with the cars going out in the reverse order of the qualifying on Saturday (i.e. the fastest car on Saturday runs last on Sunday).

The cars will run on Saturday with unrestricted fuel. They will then go into parc ferme after this qualifying session and for the Sunday qualifying session they will run with race fuel, having been allowed to refuel before the second qualifying session. They will not be allowed to refuel again before the race starts.

The times of the two sessions will be aggregated to determine the grid, with the shortest aggregate time in pole position.

Tyres
Drivers will have access to far fewer tyres in 2005 and will have to make a single set last through both qualifying sessions and the entire race. A tyre can only be changed during this time if it is punctured or damaged.

On Fridays, drivers will be able to test two different dry tyre compounds. Ahead of Saturday practice they must choose one of these for the remainder of the weekend. They will then be allocated three sets of this compound – one will be used in practice, one in qualifying and the race, and one kept in reserve in case of punctures or accident damage.

These changes will require harder compounds than in 2004 and will force drivers to drive with tyre preservation in mind. The knock-on effects will be slower lap times and much-revised race strategies.

Drivers will also have access to wet and extreme-weather tyres. These can only be used when the track is declared wet by the race director.

Engines
In 2004 engines had to last one race weekend. From 2005 they must last two – equivalent to a distance of around 1,500 kilometres (close to 1000 miles). If a driver requires an engine change ahead of qualifying, he will drop ten places on the grid for that race. If an engine is changed between the start of qualifying and the race the driver will be put to the back of the grid.

In both instances the driver concerned must use his new engine for the remainder of that meeting and the entire following grand prix weekend. If a driver fails to finish a race, he may start the next meeting with a new engine without penalty.

With even greater reliability required from the engines, these changes are likely to cut rev limits and power outputs, hence reducing car performance.

Aerodynamics
Aerodynamic regulations have been dramatically revised in a bid to reduce downforce and hence cut performance. The key changes are a higher nose and front wing section, a changed rear diffuser profile, and the bringing forward of the rear wing structure.

Initial estimates suggest that the changes could cut downforce by as much as 25 percent over 2004. Designers are likely to claw much of this back as their 2005 machines evolve, but slower laps times and trickier-handling cars would seem inevitable.

baccyman
03-07-2005, 07:15 PM
F1 has been going down the pan for years now. ever since they have been trying to slow the cars down . F1 is supposed to be about racing cars not putting grooves in tyres and chicaines on the track to slow the cars . the last decent racing we had was when people like Senna. and Mansell. were racing. that is my opinion

Turd Ferguson
03-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Dumbest...rules...ever

I know they want cost-cutting, but this is just silly.

Chewie
03-28-2005, 11:11 PM
I can't see what you're all complaining about.

I've heard hundreds of people complaining in the last ten years that F1 races were just a procession and now changes have been made in part to redress that, everyone complains again!
By the way, I don't recall anyone complaining about Mansell parading to victory in a car that my mum could've won races in. Honestly, that car was so good that his then team-mate won his first race in nearly 200 starts!

Let's get this straight - these new rules have not been desperately introduced and not primarily to directly make races more competitive, that's almost a side-effect; they were announced several years ago and have been introduced to reduce the cost to teams competing, thus reducing the number of teams having financial problems and therefore the risk of them going bust.

Think about this properly.
How many teams make their own engines? Only Ferrari & Renault IIRC.
How many teams make their own tyres? <ahem>

Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Ferrari & Renault supply engines to teams who then tune them and fit them in their own chassis. It's these companies, not the teams (excepting Renault & Ferrari, of course) that spend on R&D. Limiting the number of engines available to wealthy teams will level the playing field by not allowing them to throw money in that direction and force them to consider consequences of pushing the performance 'envelope'.

Similarly, limiting the number of tyres will reduce the cost for less wealthy teams.

Smith
03-29-2005, 12:00 AM
I dont understand how people can sit and watch cars drive in circles for hours. I guess F1 must be one of those sports that you have to be there to have fun.

jetje
03-29-2005, 11:51 AM
I dont understand how people can sit and watch cars drive in circles for hours. I guess F1 must be one of those sports that you have to be there to have fun.

Well i guess most people watch it, so they don't miss the big crashes and ofcourse the overtakings. Problem is there are hardly any good spectactular crashes, an overtaking is something only happened in the pit (while changing tyres!) ... But i guess people watch F! just in case....

There is only 2 things that can make the F1 more interesting. Give every driver that finishes points. That will give people in the back something to work for! And dish the rule that if you get lapped you have to let the faster driver go, without a fight!. If the guy is faster let him work for it, there will be a lot of fights on the track that way! It's racing for god sake not a parade as it was the past few years....

manker
03-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Problem is there are hardly any good spectactular crashesIsn't that a bit like saying that there aren't enough broken legs in football anymore since the tackle from behind was outlawed.

DanB
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Isn't that a bit like saying that there aren't enough broken legs in football anymore since the tackle from behind was outlawed.

You telling me as a kid you wouldn't watch it just for the crashes? :unsure:

manker
03-29-2005, 12:30 PM
You telling me as a kid you wouldn't watch it just for the crashes? :unsure:I used to think crashes were cool when I was eleven.

It's not an uncommon thing, I suppose, to look out for the carnage at motor racing events. Maybe it's like slowing down when you pass an accident on the motorway.

However, I don't care much for seeing people getting injured.

DanB
03-29-2005, 12:43 PM
And I don't care much for watching cars go round in circles in 3 hours but hey ho

manker
03-29-2005, 12:48 PM
And I don't care much for watching cars go round in circles in 3 hours but hey hoThen gtfooh :dry:

You're right tho' - it's pish.

DanB
03-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Ooh you copied Billy's Rikk'sUKResident's cunning little twist of the Bustyman classic, congrats :01:

manker
03-29-2005, 12:56 PM
I base that on my mentor, Ziggy. The dry smiley is all bufty, tho'.

F1 might just be for folk who really need to kill three hours of a Sunday but people dying is bad, 'k.

DanB
03-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Fair enough :)

I think you are probably right, it is very boring and I could probably see better racing on a Friday night in Tesco's car park :lol:

although it did get me laid once

manker
03-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I think you are probably right, it is very boring and I could probably see better racing on a Friday night in Tesco's car park :lol::lol: :D

That's the advantages of living in chav city central. I reckon if you take Arcadia out of Tesco car park, out of his cinquecento and give him a few lessons in a Ferrari, he'd give the F1 robots a run for their money.

DanB
03-29-2005, 01:12 PM
:lol: :D

That's the advantages of living in chav city central. I reckon if you take Arcadia out of Tesco car park, out of his cinquecento and give him a few lessons in a Ferrari, he'd give the F1 robots a run for their money.

Too damn right, I meean they give the police a run for the money so they should really get a chance to put the skills to a legitimate use :01: :naughty:

manker
03-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Too damn right, I meean they give the police a run for the money so they should really get a chance to put the skills to a legitimate use :01: :naughty:That's what I think too. Your average common or garden chav has to live on his reflexes in life or death situations while driving Ford Capris.

I think they'd be perfect fodder for the F1 talent scouts (if any exist).

Much like teenage tearaway Mike Tyson pwned the Heavyweight division in the 80s.

DanB
03-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Yup yup. Who says crime doesn't pay? :lol:

Perhaps thats how they found Jensen Button?

manker
03-29-2005, 01:29 PM
Maybe, he looks more chav than Beckham :dry:

DanB
03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Have you seen his burberry steering wheel?

manker
03-29-2005, 01:43 PM
Have you seen his burberry steering wheel?That is what led me to the conclusion :naughty:

Looking at the results of former Indycar champions and F1 n00bs, it does seem to be dependent on the car, rather than the driver.

Chavs for F1!!1 :01:

DanB
03-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Hmmm

jetje
03-29-2005, 06:01 PM
i like spectacular crashes, didn't say i like injuries... The most crashes the past years were all without big injuries... some broken legs maybe but luckily nohing too big.
It's part of the game. As i said i love good overtaking manouvres too but there is too little action in the f1 at the moment.

If you see highlights of for example the Indy car series, what do you see. The start the crashes and the finish and maybe one or two nice overtakings. Believe it's bread and games what people want and i'm sure > 85% of the people that watch racing loves to see a good crash every now and then :)

fkdup74
03-31-2005, 01:40 PM
i just find it funny that someone.....TheDave, what an assbag....
will go into a NASCAR thread and bitch about it not being a sport....
then start an F1 thread
kind of ironic dontcha think?

Busyman
03-31-2005, 04:14 PM
i just find it funny that someone.....TheDave, what an assbag....
will go into a NASCAR thread and bitch about it not being a sport....
then start an F1 thread
kind of ironic dontcha think?
Well NASCAR and F1 are sports..they just aren't athletic sports and rather boring to some.

I think it more of a social sport for spectators kinda like baseball. You don't really stayed glued to the TV like football or basketball and it allows for talking while the event goes on.

TheDave
03-31-2005, 04:32 PM
theres no corners involved in nascar so not really any skill involved. its all down to the pit crew and engineers.

with f1 every course is different and the game used to be about over taking and pushing the car as far as it will go around the corners meaning it requires a hell of a lot of driver skill. now its about nursing the car round the races are gonna be kinda boring :yawn:

nanotek
03-31-2005, 05:02 PM
i remember the early 80s where they still used to have turbos in the engines , now that was fun to watch

Busyman
03-31-2005, 08:31 PM
theres no corners involved in nascar so not really any skill involved. its all down to the pit crew and engineers.

with f1 every course is different and the game used to be about over taking and pushing the car as far as it will go around the corners meaning it requires a hell of a lot of driver skill. now its about nursing the car round the races are gonna be kinda boring :yawn:
F1 > NASCAR

Easily :dry: