PDA

View Full Version : New Car?

sArA
03-14-2005, 12:16 PM
I am thinking of buying one just like this........

Mazda 323

1998 model, 1.8cc 74000 miles, cost about 2 thousand pounds including my old Daewoo Nexia.

What do you all think?

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/sara5564-media1.jpg

bloody wont let me put the piccie in for some reason.....:(

edited for Guillarme....

Guillaume
03-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Er... 2 grand what?

Dollars, Pounds, zloty? :unsure:

sArA
03-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Pounds/quid dear.....me being a Brit and all.....

MagicNakor
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't feel like doing the conversion.

74,000 miles is x km?

:shuriken:

Guillaume
03-14-2005, 12:29 PM
me being a Brit and all.....

Sorry, alcohol slowly killing remaining brain cells, info must have been deleted. :1eye:

2000 £ for a second hand mazda? Ain't it a bit much? Gotta ask robert0000 to negociate a bit on your behalf... :shifty:

@MN: about 118400 km.

sArA
03-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Sorry, alcohol slowly killing remaining brain cells, info must have been deleted. :1eye:

2000 £ for a seond hand mazda? Ain't it a bit much? Gotta ask robert0000 to negociate a bit on your behalf... :shifty:

@MN: about 118400 km.

Remember, I am in the UK and everything is more expensive here.....:(

I looked it up on autotrader and the price is in the ball park for a trade sale. The garage has it up for 2500, but with my car....(bit of a banger) they are offering 3 months parts and labour warranty, full service, full MOT.

I do rather like it though.....pretty car with enough room for the kids.

Yogi
03-14-2005, 12:49 PM
If it's still in good condition, it's a fair price.

YoFeelingLikeAKinginHisColt'02

sArA
03-14-2005, 12:54 PM
If it's still in good condition, it's a fair price.

YoFeelingLikeAKinginHisColt'02

Only saw it through the fence yesterday as the place was shut. Looks in very good condition....its got all the toys on it apparently, abs, electric everything, power steering, air conditioning, blah blah....

Going to have a proper look this afternoon...........

Guillaume
03-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Remember, I am in the UK

Damn, I really should write it down someplace. :P

Not knowing the UKian prices it did seem a tad over priced, and it was my only objection (oooh, I should stop watching law & order!).

Go buy it and don't forget to buy those spoilers and neon lights which will make it run faster. :D

MagicNakor
03-14-2005, 01:11 PM
118,400 km seems to be a bit for a 1998, but I can only go off mine, which is a '97 and had 86,00 km when I got it.

sArA
03-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Damn, I really should write it down someplace. :P

Not knowing the UKian prices it did seem a tad over priced, and it was my only objection (oooh, I should stop watching law & order!).

Go buy it and don't forget to buy those spoilers and neon lights which will make it run faster. :D

According to a consumer guide I read, we pay between 20% and 40% more for the same cars in the UK compared to France when buying new!!!!! What a rip off! I guess that translates into the used car market too.....

Do you think that If I put a cool and trendy stripe down the side, that it will go quicker?

sArA
03-14-2005, 01:15 PM
118,400 km seems to be a bit for a 1998, but I can only go off mine, which is a '97 and had 86,00 km when I got it.

hmmmmmm.....although that only works out at about 10k (miles) per year which is about average.......

I guess I will have to see how it drives and stuff. I could probably get one cheaper privately, but then there is no warranty should the head gasket blow a week later......

DarthInsinuate
03-14-2005, 01:17 PM
i don't think i could ever buy a Mazda, not after that Men Behaving Badly episode :dry:

Guillaume
03-14-2005, 01:19 PM
Do you think that If I put a cool and trendy stripe down the side, that it will go quicker?
Sure thing, boss. :musleman:
or should I say gov'na? :unsure:

About the prices thing, do you know there are specialized car salesmen who buy cars cheaper in other countries of the EU and sell them much cheaper? You could look into it and maybe get a new car for about 20% less.

MagicNakor
03-14-2005, 02:29 PM
It has to go down the hood. Get it right. ;)

http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/9/9e/Mazda_Miata_1991_front_view_with_added_racing_stripe.jpg

Busyman
03-14-2005, 02:31 PM
It has to go down the hood. Get it right. ;)

http://img.thefreedictionary.com/wiki/9/9e/Mazda_Miata_1991_front_view_with_added_racing_stripe.jpg

Damn, what the hell happened?

Someone been kickin' flour and decided ta walk all over da hood? :dry:

It has a symmetry to it and shit.

Guillaume
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Damn, what the hell happened?

Someone been kickin' flour and decided ta walk all over da hood? :dry:
It's called reflections on the varnish.

Unless you're
http://img161.exs.cx/img161/184/fishingrod7cn.gif :unsure:

Snee
03-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Maybe you shouldn't. (http://www.riceboypage.com/)

sArA
03-14-2005, 03:18 PM
hmmm I don't think 'rice girl' is quite the image I want to portray.....perhaps not then......

Snee
03-14-2005, 03:38 PM
There are some fairly nice ideas in there tho', should you change your mind, some of it is pretty ingenious IMO.

I'd never think of writing "toyota" on a honda, for instance.

sArA
03-14-2005, 06:56 PM
Went and had a look, chipped paintwork and ran like a pig.....fuckety fuck fuck....back to the autotrader.... :(

manker
03-14-2005, 07:01 PM
Sara.

Why are you buying a car. It makes more sense to lease hire a brand new one for 2 or three years and then trade it in for a newer model once you've ruined the suspension and gearbox.

Cars depreciate too quickly, make that someone else's problem. Expect to pay somewhere between £150 - £250 per month for a car on an 05 plate.

lynx
03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
@Manker, I don't think she is looking to buy a new car.

Sara, have a look at Parker's Guide (http://www.parkers.co.uk/) for prices. According to Parker's you could have expected to pay £1660 for an R plate or 1775 for an S plate, and that's with only 60,000 miles.

About the prices thing, do you know there are specialized car salesmen who buy cars cheaper in other countries of the EU and sell them much cheaper? You could look into it and maybe get a new car for about 20% less.That's exactly what I did about 3 years ago, but I don't think the savings are anything like as good now because of exchange rate differences. It's fine if you can afford to buy new. The drawback is if you try to sell it (or part exchange it) to a dealer. If the dealer here finds out it was imported they will drop their offer by about the same amount, even though they are acting illegally by doing it.

Guillaume
03-14-2005, 09:05 PM
If the dealer here finds out it was imported
The fact the steering wheel is on the left side can be a dead giveaway, I know.

they will drop their offer by about the same amount, even though they are acting illegally by doing it.
And that simple fact doesn't convince you Brits to finally do things the way the rest of Europe does? You guys are hopeless. :frusty:

:P :lol:

manker
03-14-2005, 09:12 PM
@Manker, I don't think she is looking to buy a new car.Well, no.

Obviously tho', having a new car to drive around in is preferable. I was just pointing out that you don't have to take out a bank loan in order to do so.

lynx
03-14-2005, 09:14 PM
The fact the steering wheel is on the left side can be a dead giveaway, I know.Actually, it is simple to get a vehicle to UK specification, it is illegal not to supply them.

And that simple fact doesn't convince you Brits to finally do things the way the rest of Europe does? You guys are hopeless. :frusty: Oh yes, let's all do it the way the rest of Europe does. Except that it is European car manufacturers who cause this situation in the first place. VW were the worst and got fined 100M Euros for their trouble. There is an ongoing investigation too, there could well be some more big fines flying around before long.

manker
03-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Is this the xenophobia thread :unsure:

Guillaume
03-14-2005, 09:17 PM
Oh yes, let's all do it the way the rest of Europe does.
Welcome to the world of corruption, then. ;)

Except that it is European car manufacturers who cause this situation in the first place.
Big companies always have an excuse ready for this kind of situations. What were theirs?

edit:

Is this the xenophobia thread :unsure:
No, because no one mentionned sheep yet. :devil:

Don't be alarmed, you won't see any sentence beginning with "I'm not a racist but..." here. It's just my own personnal brand of bad humour and the lack of understanding of why prices can vary so much when crossing the Channel. :)

sArA
03-15-2005, 10:43 AM
@manker...I am interested in what you said about lease hire. However, I am looking at a cash deal, and don't want a micra or equivalent type thing. I am guessing that lease hire would be pretty expensive once I look at cars that are nicer than poxy little boxes on wheels. I could be wrong however, so if you can enlighten me.......

I will try the parkers guide, although like anything, the value of a car is mainly to do with the price people are willing to pay rather than its actually monetary value based on depreciation and mileage.

manker
03-15-2005, 12:06 PM
@manker...I am interested in what you said about lease hire. However, I am looking at a cash deal, and don't want a micra or equivalent type thing. I am guessing that lease hire would be pretty expensive once I look at cars that are nicer than poxy little boxes on wheels. I could be wrong however, so if you can enlighten me.......There are some great deals around. For example you can get a brand new Shogun for £230 per month, Mondeos are between £190 and £210. I have some links in the house because I recently sorted one out for a mate, he ended up with a Toyota Celica for around £240.

I'll send them along when I go there later - or if you don't want to wait, you can google, like I did :unsure:

sArA
03-15-2005, 01:11 PM
I'll send them along when I go there later - or if you don't want to wait, you can google, like I did :unsure:

Cheers manker, I would appreciate it.....

erm....why should I google when I have manker? :blink:

Rat Faced
03-15-2005, 08:56 PM
You can lease a brand new Mazda MX5 1.8i convertable for £169 pcm Sara

example (http://www.autocostoptions.com/)

Shop around though, you can save loads on leasing..

I think the prices start at £99 + vat at the moment for a Yaris/Micra and you can get a BMW for just over £200... ;)