PDA

View Full Version : TomTom

reminder
03-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know how TomTom actually works. I know that its PDA navigation software for GPS systems.

But does it get live transmission from somewhere??
Apart from getting the software, do I have to pay for using it, such as communication costs....

I simply dont have clue how GPS systems works

thanks

{I}{K}{E}
03-14-2005, 01:08 PM
http://www.nasm.si.edu/exhibitions/gps/work.html

The accuracy of a position determined with GPS depends on the type of receiver. Most hand-held GPS units have about 10-20 meter accuracy.

manker
03-14-2005, 01:10 PM
I have a GPS thing in my car. I hardly use it tho' as I almost never go somewhere without knowing the way.

It gets the information direct from a satellite link and you don't have to pay anything extra once you've paid the initial cost.

namzuf9
03-14-2005, 01:16 PM
I believe with TomTom there is a bi-yearly subscription charge.

sArA
03-14-2005, 01:16 PM
I thought that Tom Tom was the piper's son.....

I will get me coat....

reminder
03-14-2005, 01:43 PM
I am hoping to use TomTom with my Pocket PC (just to show off).

"It gets the information direct from a satellite link" > doesn't anyone have to pay fpr this satellite link???

I was thinking of buying a CD from Ebay which promises hundreds of software for Pocket PC, including TomTom. Seems like a deal????

Yogi
03-14-2005, 01:45 PM
I just intalled it on my uncle's pda. :01:

Jeez, you need at least like 2 gig if you want to put whole Europe on it............ :ohmy:

Been driving through/in at least 25 countries and i never use a map. :rolleyes:

Fre and me have discovered the most amazing spots by loosing track..... :D

YomYom

manker
03-14-2005, 02:00 PM
I am hoping to use TomTom with my Pocket PC (just to show off).

"It gets the information direct from a satellite link" > doesn't anyone have to pay fpr this satellite link???

I was thinking of buying a CD from Ebay which promises hundreds of software for Pocket PC, including TomTom. Seems like a deal????Yeah, I use my GPS thing with my pocket PC, is there any other way :unsure:

The company which sells the software has to pay for use of the satellite - I imagine - but that's included in the purchase price. At least it is the case with my thingie. I've never paid a subscription or anything like that.