PDA

View Full Version : How about a portal on the main page?

Filliz
03-15-2005, 12:39 PM
Would be much better then the static page there is now. :)

Lookie here:vbAdvanced (http://www.vbadvanced.com/products.php?do=productinfo&p=4)
It's free too :cool:

Good thing is that everyone can submit news,but it only gets published if it's approved by any of the moderators.
You could also add a download section on it (members only),with various p2p apps,tools,....,put up a shoutbox,...

Would make the frontpage a lot more interesting if you ask me.

hungrylilboy
03-15-2005, 01:21 PM

Filliz
03-15-2005, 01:29 PM
wots the point? who even looks at the front page? most people will have the forum bookmarked not the front page and most google links point to the forum.

Well,that's my point exactly.
There's nothing to see on the frontpage.
It even looks more boring then it did a couple of weeks ago.

I just think that by adding a portal it would attract more visitors and it would make the whole of Filesharingtalk more interesting for new and older members.

A newssection with articles related to filesharing would be interesting.
And I think a download section isn't a bad idea either.
Put up all different emule mods,newsclients,addon tools for all these clients,etc....

Well,just an idea (which I think totally rocks :music: )

rookiecrd1
03-15-2005, 04:19 PM
hmm, if someone wants to come up with a descent idea I can have my programmer work on it in a few weeks.

Brian

tesco
03-15-2005, 04:38 PM
hmm, if someone wants to come up with a descent idea I can have my programmer work on it in a few weeks.

Brian
That VB advanced looks decent, as long as you can get it for free. :unsure:

sparsely
03-15-2005, 05:57 PM
portal :sick:

RealitY
03-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Well I was the one that pushed for a simpler front page to what it is now since the there was virtually no upkeep on the News and Downloads that were there already which was originally setup by 7th way back. I did leave the Downloads setup alone in case we got to the point where it might be used again although I dont know if it ever really was in the first place. If you want to take a look at it since you may have never noticed it while it was up, as most didnt it seems, its at...
http://filesharingtalk.com/show_downloads.php

I thought most of us feel the forum is the main focus point here and there was little or no upkeep on the front page stuff anyway and was outdated for the most part so thats why I thought to go with a simpler layout at least until theres more interest in keeping it up to date.

I would however like to have stats at the bottom showing activity to liven it up a bit although Im not sure how to attach the info to the vb section yet as I havent looked into it much and would also like to bring back the Downloads section also as an add on as it would be fairly simple to maintain I think although I think News may be rather pointless as it would only be items most likely duplicated in the forum itself.

Ive attached a screen shot of what I think would be a nice compromise and would at least give a little more feel to the site with the possibility of adding back the Downloads section also...

Harsh!
03-15-2005, 07:51 PM
Whats the URL for the frontpage??
Dont think Ive ever seen it...lol

{I}{K}{E}
03-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Whats the URL for the frontpage??
Dont think Ive ever seen it...lol

:huh:

http://www.filesharingtalk.com

Harsh!
03-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks...

After seeing it, I see no reason for a portal, but maybe the frontpage could be "spruced" up as its not a nice look IMO

tesco
03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Ive attached a screen shot of what I think would be a nice compromise and would at least give a little more feel to the site with the possibility of adding back the Downloads section also...
you could probably just cut and paste that part from the bottom of the forum files and just use that. ;)

RealitY
03-15-2005, 08:58 PM
Thats how I took the screenshot once pasting it into DW although it isnt dynamic although maybe if I take an actual file from the vb folder itself it may work. Ill have to give it try as soon as I get a chance then...

EDIT: Seems to be some type of script or something as I have no clue how.

tesco
03-15-2005, 10:02 PM
Thats how I took the screenshot once pasting it into DW although it isnt dynamic although maybe if I take an actual file from the vb folder itself it may work. Ill have to give it try as soon as I get a chance then...

EDIT: Seems to be some type of script or something as I have no clue how.
that's what i meant was to take the script from the original vb files and just copy/paste the part u need into your home page.

ill look and see if i can find where that code is.

atiVidia
03-16-2005, 12:14 AM
whatever happened to 7thE anyways? wow...

i agree that this site needs a good portal though :D

RealitY
03-16-2005, 05:41 AM
that's what i meant was to take the script from the original vb files and just copy/paste the part u need into your home page.

ill look and see if i can find where that code is.
Well I took a look at the root vb folder and theres no html files that I can see so thats where I got lost. Saving a page off the site is what I had done originally but the code is lost just leaving a static page. If someone can tell me what to look for in the vb folder I may have a clue. I have attached the files I used for the screenshot so if someone wants to edit them with the right script since it was made with a a copy and paste from a simple save of the site which as youll see is why they are static and dont work...

SeK612
03-16-2005, 12:06 PM
If the front page isn't needed then the alternate option is to simply remove it and redirect anyone hitting the base domain to the forum.

As for adding in code to the main page. It's generally possible to add content from forums to other pages (such as login boxes), often made easier by using pre coded mods.

I would doubt it would be possible to simply lift the code out from vBulletin pages and add them to others though, the code would need editing.

{I}{K}{E}
03-16-2005, 12:17 PM
Well I took a look at the root vb folder and theres no html files that I can see so thats where I got lost. Saving a page off the site is what I had done originally but the code is lost just leaving a static page. If someone can tell me what to look for in the vb folder I may have a clue. I have attached the files I used for the screenshot so if someone wants to edit them with the right script since it was made with a a copy and paste from a simple save of the site which as youll see is why they are static and dont work...

your test.htm doesnt look nice imo. or we add a code so its updated realtime or we dont add it @ all :P

tesco
03-16-2005, 03:18 PM
it's in the index.php file.

RealitY
03-16-2005, 07:55 PM
we add a code so its updated realtime or we dont add it @ all :P
Thats exactly what were trying to figure out as to how to get it to update in real time as I mentioned above already...

RealitY
03-16-2005, 08:22 PM
it's in the index.php file.
Ive taken a look at the index.php file and it has the code that looks like whats needed. So if you had the index.php from the vb folder and the current main page index.html which is in another folder alltogether are you saying you could insert the code from the php file into the html file and make it into one html file that would update in real time then. If so I think that would be exactly the idea of it...

tesco
03-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Ive taken a look at the index.php file and it has the code that looks like whats needed. So if you had the index.php from the vb folder and the current main page index.html which is in another folder alltogether are you saying you could insert the code from the php file into the html file and make it into one html file that would update in real time then...
yep that's exactly it.

But i think it might be too hard to get teh code out as it seems to have refrences from other files so i might try and make my own code. :shifty:

{I}{K}{E}
04-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Rossco will first try to install this portal on his pirvate forum. if everything works ok. maybe we will add it for FST ;)

{I}{K}{E}
04-16-2005, 07:18 PM
testing went ok ;)

now Rossco is trying 2 install an arcade on the testboard :01:

Peerzy
04-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Not to be a cawk or anything but hasnt Rookie been trying to do the Portal and Arcade for like 3 months now, it took Rossco ten minutes. Unless Rookie had just been thinking about doing stuff, you know if you think stuff hard enough it still doesn't happen :unsure:

{I}{K}{E}
04-16-2005, 09:00 PM
Not to be a cawk or anything but hasnt Rookie been trying to do the Portal and Arcade for like 3 months now, it took Rossco ten minutes. Unless Rookie had just been thinking about doing stuff, you know if you think stuff hard enough it still doesn't happen :unsure:

not 10 minutes.

still working on it.

portal and arcade now work on the test forum. as soon as we see Brian we will ask for FTP access ;)

tesco
04-16-2005, 09:20 PM
took about half an hour to install each (on my forum, will take longer for this one because i gotta be careful with what i do).
and me and {I}{K}{E} have been tinkering around with the settings in the portal and arcade all afternoon, to see what everything does.

SeK612
04-16-2005, 09:30 PM
They're not too hard to do, the arcade anyway (with the portal is being custom coded so some knowledge of PHP is needed to do it) which is a fairly established VB mod.

However this is a pretty big forum. If something goes wrong and downtime ensues it's problematic for the admin. It's even worse if it causes damage to the database.

There are plenty of other things to consider as well, such as the fact that upgrading the forum after modification becomes harder and VB support doesn't cover mods :)

Peerzy
04-16-2005, 10:19 PM
not 10 minutes.

still working on it.

portal and arcade now work on the test forum. as soon as we see Brian we will ask for FTP access ;)

Meh, 10mins, or 30mins as Rossco says, its a damn sight faster than the 2 months (and counting) :P

tesco
04-17-2005, 02:10 AM
btw the arcade looks and works great! :D
tommorrow, or whenever rookie gives me or {I}{K}{E} ftp access, we will put it on. :)

RPerry
04-17-2005, 02:28 AM
btw the arcade looks and works great! :D
tommorrow, or whenever rookie gives me or {I}{K}{E} ftp access, we will put it on. :)

Good news, can't wait to try it out :)