PDA

View Full Version : The X Files Mythology: Abduction

Mr. Mulder
03-17-2005, 07:47 PM
X-Files, The - Conspiracy Contents Revealed
Posted by Gord Lacey
3/10/2005

For nine seasons, fans of "The X Files" watched and waited for an ultimate explanation of the complex web of alien conspiracy theories, government cover-ups and shadow organizations woven by series creator Chris Carter. Now, for the first time, viewers can follow every twist and turn of the complete mythology story arc beginning with THE X FILES MYTHOLOGY: ABDUCTION. ABDUCTION consists of 16 episodes from seasons 1-3, and presents the government conspiracy episodes in order, beginning with the series pilot. The set also features commentary on selected episodes and part one of Chris Carter's all-new documentary "Threads Of Mythology," which explains the meaning of "The X Files" and how all lies lead to the truth.

Fox has announced the contents of the X-Files Conspiracy set they previously announced for May 17. This 3 disc set will contain 16 episodes from the first three seasons which involve the aliens, and the government conspiracy.

Disc 1: Pilot / Deep Throat / Fallen Angel / EBE.

Disc 2: The Erlenmeyer Flask / Little Green Men / Duane Barry / Ascension.

Disc 3: One Breath / Red Museum / Colony / End Game

Disc 4: Anasazi / The Blessing Way / Paper Clip

Extras Include:

* Deep Throat commentary with Chris Carter
* Little Green Men commentary with David Nutter
* Duane Barry commentary with Chris Carter
* End Game commentary with Frank Spotnitz
* The Blessing Way commentary with Bob Goodwin
* Thread of Mythology Part 1

The set will contain English, French and Spanish Dolby Surround tracks (with matching subtitles, and an Anamophic Widescreen (1.78:1) transfer. We expect this is an error in the listing on the Fox website, since these episodes were released in full frame (1.33:1) previously. The set will retail for $39.98 US, and $54.98 CAN. It appears Fox has plans to release at least one more "Conspiracy" set, since these episodes come from the first 3 seasons, and this set contains part 1 of a documentary.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/angel4576/X-Files_Mythology-Abduction.jpg

fecking great news! :w00t:

3RA1N1AC
03-18-2005, 01:20 AM
personally what i'm excited about is the fact that frank spotnitz (x-files producer) is developing a new KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER series to air this fall. it's based on a 1970s tv series that starred darren mcgavin (a christmas story, recurring guest star on x-files). night stalker was about a newspaper reporter who investigated monsters, aliens, and other paranormal stuff. the x-files creators have often cited it as a major influence on x-files.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/593/593731p1.html

Busyman
03-18-2005, 05:31 AM
X-Files boiled down to 2 things...

The individual adventures

The wraparound story

This new compilation is just the wraparound story which was far less interesting and contrived.

Besides that, I have all the damn discs already. Am I supposed to re-buy this one 'cause they decided to put in order? :huh:

Sounds like bullshit marketing and a waste. :dry:

Mr. Mulder
03-18-2005, 07:35 AM
I have them all on video, so owning the mythology eps on DVD would be nice, and if they were ever to bring out the same sort of deal for standalone eps, I'd probably do the same. This deal seems worth it for the documentary alone :)

Kolchak looks very promising, obviously that’s mainly what influenced the X Files, and with spotnitz working on it, it should be top notch.

Not too sure about Stuart Townsend as the leading role though :ermm:

Busyman
03-18-2005, 08:35 AM
I have them all on video, so owning the mythology eps on DVD would be nice, and if they were ever to bring out the same sort of deal for standalone eps, I'd probably do the same. This deal seems worth it for the documentary alone :)

Kolchak looks very promising, obviously that’s mainly what influenced the X Files, and with spotnitz working on it, it should be top notch.

Not too sure about Stuart Townsend as the leading role though :ermm:
Buy the seasons and you'll have these episodes and the more interesting individual spooky stories as well. I'll admit that some episodes about the black oil were quite freaky (especially the one's with Cricheck(sp?)) but this reminds me Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition then.........Teeeerminator 2 Eeexxtremmme Edition. :dry:

The problem is this "selling point" is a big ass overlap.
If I were to buy this then I'd be the dumbest person in the world.

One of boys would say, "Well er..don't you already have all these episodes on disc?"

And I would say, "But, but, but, I paid $40 for the documentary and this cewol new box art." :blink:

:dry:

:lol:

Mr. Mulder
03-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Buy the seasons and you'll have these episodes and the more interesting individual spooky stories as well. I'll admit that some episodes about the black oil were quite freaky (especially the one's with Cricheck(sp?)) but this reminds me Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition then.........Teeeerminator 2 Eeexxtremmme Edition. :dry:

The problem is this "selling point" is a big ass overlap.
If I were to buy this then I'd be the dumbest person in the world.

One of boys would say, "Well er..don't you already have all these episodes on disc?"

And I would say, "But, but, but, I paid $40 for the documentary and this cewol new box art." :blink:

:dry:

:lol:

But.....it's new, and shiny! and X File related, surely that would be enough? :blink:

The black oil was always a great back-story, especially with the huge turn it took in season 7, and all the stuff that lead up to that in the first few seasons :helpsmili

(Krycek ;))

Busyman
03-18-2005, 01:54 PM
But.....it's new, and shiny! and X File related, surely that would be enough? :blink:
Not if I already have it, Mulder...not if I already have it. :ermm:

I like stuff but am not a fanboy of anything really.

Mr. Mulder
03-18-2005, 02:21 PM
It’s for those reasons that it probably won’t do so well, either people will already have them all, or they’d want the full lot rather than getting what seems like only half the story (even if it’s in it’s entirety).

There should be enough online sales to knockout a second one, and possibly a third which presumably is where they’re going with three seasons worth a piece :ermm:

Busyman
03-18-2005, 02:40 PM
It’s for those reasons that it probably won’t do so well, either people will already have them all, or they’d want the full lot rather than getting what seems like only half the story (even if it’s in it’s entirety).

There should be enough online sales to knockout a second one, and possibly a third which presumably is where they’re going with three seasons worth a piece :ermm:
I'll leave it for the sheep to buy. Some people will pay for anything these days.

That reminds me... I can do the same shit if rip the right episodes from my season collections. Then I can have one coherent story and save my $40.

3RA1N1AC
03-18-2005, 02:44 PM
this reminds me Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition then.........Teeeerminator 2 Eeexxtremmme Edition. :dry:
yeah a lot of dvd review sites call this practice "double dipping." when companies re-issue stuff with slight upgrades that should've been included the first time around. i guess a dvd is exempt from this description when it's, like, a classic movie getting a sorely needed cleanup/restoration... but when it's just a simple matter of greed, it's a double dip.

another example: that kate beckinsale vampire flick "underworld" was issued in three distinct dvd versions in the u.s., in only two years??? if ever there was a completely uncalled-for instance of triple dipping... :P

Busyman
03-18-2005, 03:59 PM
yeah a lot of dvd review sites call this practice "double dipping." when companies re-issue stuff with slight upgrades that should've been included the first time around. i guess a dvd is exempt from this description when it's, like, a classic movie getting a sorely needed cleanup/restoration... but when it's just a simple matter of greed, it's a double dip.

another example: that kate beckinsale vampire flick "underworld" was issued in three distinct dvd versions in the u.s., in only two years??? if ever there was a completely uncalled-for instance of triple dipping... :P
....and there are those that would all three. Idiots I say.

They'll feel sorry when they look up and they have 700+ DVD sitting on the shelf. (like me :crying: ) WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!

At least I don't have 3 different versions of a movie though. I love how I bought Scarface for $10 and then they re-issue it later for over $20 with minor "upgrades" and it has all this buzz.

They are all sheep.

Mr. Mulder
06-15-2005, 09:30 PM
The Official DVD Site (http://www.foxhome.com/xfilesabduction/)'s up now if anyone's interested, looks pretty damn hawt too :01:

not ordered my copy yet, might wait a few months until the price is right :01:

edit: And also, if you've not seen it yet, the official Lone Gunmen (http://www.foxhome.com/lonegunmen/) DVD site, not ordered this one yet either :ohmy: All in good time though :01:

Frohike
06-15-2005, 09:34 PM
n00b :dry:

Busyman
06-15-2005, 10:21 PM
n00b :dry:
You tell him Fro'.

I have all the seasons on disc. What's the point in buying this shit? :blink:

Mr. Mulder
06-16-2005, 06:24 AM
there is no point for you to buy it, unless the very thought of not having it keeps you awake at night :unsure:

it looks to be for people who want only the mythology eps and not the standalones :ermm: