PDA

View Full Version : Spyware. Catch me if you can!!

kurse
03-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Over the last month, I've had my fair share with Spyware/Ad-aware. I am one of those paranoid people that has to have thier computer protected. My computer is equipped with Sygate Firewall Updated (Free Edition), Norton Anti-Virus 2005 Updated (purchased), Peerguardian 2 (Free Edition) Updated, Ad-aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spy Sweeper, Spyware Blaster, Sureclean Professional, Windows Updated, Service Pack 2, and I occasionally download a different Spyware tool beacuase it's really true when they tell you - not one Spyware tool gets catches all the Malware on your computer. I've tried a lot of programs already but sometimes I download a new program and it finds some other type of spyware in my computer (mostly new registry entries discovered). I run my existing spware tools daily and when I go and download a new program it finds some stuff. It sucks that not one out there can detect all of known spyware and registry entries.

Do me a favor...download Counterspy from http://www.download.com/CounterSpy/3000-8022_4-10365932.html?tag=lst-6-3
try it out and tell me what your results were. You might be surprised. I thought I was clean too.

peat moss
03-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Your learning what we all discovered a while back. It is a good program in the sence that it also runs on win98 & winme . But Microsoft antispyware and Giant are for winxp . Their almost all the same program. Same developer, same icons, same tools etc: Search this forum you'll get a better idea. I'm smiling with you ,not giving you a hard time ! :)

Kurse check your PM . ;)

kurse
03-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the PM, I really appreciate it. Since you said that the program was for Win98 and WinME. I think I should start using Microsoft Anti-Spyware. But counterspy still found spyware.

peat moss
03-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Thanks for the PM, I really appreciate it. Since you said that the program was for Win98 and WinME. I think I should start using Microsoft Anti-Spyware. But counterspy still found spyware.

Your welcome , I have a working copy of Giant ,aswell if interested . But the thing I like about counterspy, It works with older systems. Got to love it. :)

Oh counteryspy works with xp too! sorry for the confusion . It has a few tools you would like aswell . :)

Izagaia
03-18-2005, 07:36 PM

All three versions utilize the same engine, .dll and malware databases to scan, protect and remove those wares from your system. You should find very few, if any discrepencies between them. If you do however, it is more likely due to be from the software's user settings than product failure.

However, in my own opinion, I really think the wisest choice would be to choose only one of them and then stick with it. Having multiple applications on your system that all combat the same problems (i.e. having Ad-Aware, PeerGuardian, Spybot S&D, Spy Sweeper and Windows Anti-spyware installed in any combination together at the same time) is likely serve you no better than say having two or more firewalls installed and running in tandem.

fkdup74
03-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Having multiple applications on your system that all combat the same problems (i.e. having Ad-Aware, PeerGuardian, Spybot S&D, Spy Sweeper and Windows Anti-spyware installed in any combination together at the same time) is likely serve you no better than say having two or more firewalls installed and running in tandem.

that problem is more likely to occur when runnning mulitple real time scan engines
i.e. dual firewalls, dual resident AV scanners, etc.
the only drawback to multiple on demand scanners...
is the possibility of them finding each others' quarantines and bitching

peat moss
03-19-2005, 02:02 AM
I kept hearing that one should uses multiple spyware programs to assist in keeping safe . But with just Giant I don't seem to have a problem.I uninstalled Adaware and Spybot weeks ago . :)

fkdup74
03-19-2005, 02:54 AM
I uninstalled Adaware and Spybot weeks ago . :)

yeah those two are classic examples of what i meant
i remember it was one or the other that bitched on installation
about the other being installed
or the possibility of the other bitching
or some crazy shit like that :lol:

peat moss
03-19-2005, 03:05 AM
yeah those two are classic examples of what i meant
i remember it was one or the other that bitched on installation
about the other being installed
or the possibility of the other bitching
or some crazy shit like that :lol:

You know my ex-wife ? Ya but I know what you mean . We've out grown those programs mabye ?

Hey while looking for a related topic ,found this. Scroll down and theres a comparison chart . Just remember to include Microsoft and Counterspy products in this , under Giants rating.

http://windowssecrets.com/050127/#story1

peat moss
03-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Thats a pretty intensive study ! Someone with too much time on his hands ? But I like the way he combined products together , like we all would . :lol: Older study ,mabye but still relevant ? ;) Funny how he mentions two programs together too.