PDA

View Full Version : Oh noes! The power supply broked!!!!111

Keikan
03-20-2005, 07:45 PM
ok last night i was playing need for speed u2 right ok so anyways the computers just shuts down for no reason i try to start it up again and there's this white spark/light coming from the power supply, however the power led on the mb is still on if you plug the pc.

1. i need a new power supply right

2. how do i figure out how many watts a power supply

3. did i fry anything?

peat moss
03-20-2005, 07:54 PM
I would try a cheap one first , a used one . But I would n't buy anything under 350 watts .

I like this site ,while not rocket science it does give one an example .

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

Snee
03-20-2005, 07:55 PM
'k, sounds like you fried the PSU.

Depending on how good quality it was it may have done some damage to your system.

If so, the only way to determine what may have happened is get hold of another PSU, perhaps an old one for now, and try it with a minimum of hardware connected to the mobo.

Just the GFX card and the Mobo at first, and then try adding drives and stuff if it posts, and so on. If you connect something and it stops posting you may have fried that part.

As I recall my brothers computer wouldn't even post after he fried his PSU, until we removed the floppy.

As for what new PSU you should get, go for a good brand, like Fortron or Antec true (I know the former is excellent, and the latter is a favourite with the crowd here).

I wouldn't buy anything below 400 watts today.

Keikan
03-20-2005, 07:55 PM
i'm gonna try to stick my old ps from 1999 and remove from fans and stuff but i need to figure out how many watts

Snee
03-20-2005, 08:00 PM
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

This may help, tho' it's not entirely accurate, I think.

And it only shows you how much you need if everything is working at full power at once, and that never happens irl. So that gives you the biggest PSU you might possibly need, but you can buy something rated a bit below the wattage you get from the site.

peat moss
03-20-2005, 08:01 PM
i'm gonna try to stick my old ps from 1999 and remove from fans and stuff but i need to figure out how many watts

We all posted at the same time ! :lol: But try my link om power supply consumntion.

@ SnnY, great minds think alike ? :D

Snee
03-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Didn't even notice you had that link too. :blink:

It's good tho'.

peat moss
03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
Didn't even notice you had that link too. :blink:

It's good tho'.

No problem , Note to peat moss : take typing course ! :P

tesco
03-20-2005, 08:45 PM
:ohmy: that's almost exactly how it happened to me ebfore i got my enermax.
I was playing need for speed 5. :lol:

but anyway ya it sounds fried. trying a differnt psu would be good, make sure to unplug anything you dont need form in the computer if it's a low wattage.

Keikan
03-20-2005, 09:49 PM
ok so i tried another ps and now the pc won't turn on, the led on the asus motherboard is on and the network leds is on

clocker
03-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Snny and Peat,

While that calculator may be (semi) useful, the problem is that there is no standard for determining the output of PSUs.
Basically, a manufacturer can claim anything they want.
A good test is simply to pick up the PSU...the heavier the better.

I don't think it's possible (awaiting the flames) to buy a decent unit for under $75 anymore.

peat moss
03-22-2005, 01:29 AM
Snny and Peat,

While that calculator may be (semi) useful, the problem is that there is no standard for determining the output of PSUs.

I don't think it's possible (awaiting the flames) to buy a decent unit for under $75 anymore.

Good advice clocker . My mentor or fellow computer buddy says that all the time . Its like 16 or 22 gauge steel . "Peat just feel the weight ,and pick the heaver the better." I' pay a little more attention to PSU 's now when freinds ask about a system. That Slaco site I metioned , I'v sent 20 people from freinds to work mates to him. At first three had power supply problems . After that I questioned him on his choice of case's and psu 's . Now when he sees me I ask for a better brand of psu and another case fan. Even tho they bought new and it's under warranty they called me and bitched ! :lol:

Keikan
03-22-2005, 11:48 PM
bump it up

Spicker
03-23-2005, 02:16 AM
so no beeps?

maybe the memory got fried rice?

Snee
03-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Snny and Peat,

That's why I also recommended specific brands.

Fortron's like the best manufacturer on the market, so when they say 400 watts, they bloody well mean it.

Well, at least they come close. :unsure:

And I still wouldn't get something without having looked at a couple of reviews as well. I think I posted this (http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=2279) one a while ago regarding relatively cheap PSUs.

Jeantech looks good. :unsure: