PDA

View Full Version : My computer wont start up, bios and windows wont start up.

Formula1
03-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Well this is how it started. I burned a cd with my nec dvd burner, and right after it completed burning, my computer automically restarted and windows nor bios would load up. After disconnecting my dvd drive from my mother board and power supply, and clearing cmos like 10 times; the pc was then able to start up and get to the main logon screen. But then windows froze there, and tried to restart the pc but window nor bios would load up again. After clearing the cmos like 10 times again and disconnecting every hard ware (except processor) , i was able to get into bios , but then, the pc froze right there in bios....

Note: I came across this problem last week, and i found out by disconnecting the dvd drive from the psu and mobo , the pc was able to function with windows properly. And also i have every setting for hard ware at default, nothing is overclocked.

I'm wondering if this could be a power supply issue.. ?

Edit: and also the lights, case fans, video card fan, and heatsinks are able to function properly...

My specs for my psu:
http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-144-025-04.JPG

Formula1
03-21-2005, 10:08 PM
please someone help.

lynx
03-21-2005, 10:17 PM
If everything else works with that removed, I would suggest the problem is with the DVD drive. I have seen exactly the same fault with a CD drive, but with no visible indication of the cause.

The only reasonable thing to try is to put the DVD drive into another PC if possible. Even if the PC seems to work, try loading a bootable CD to test the drive itself. If it fails you've confirmed the fault.

Formula1
03-21-2005, 10:30 PM
alright i think i'll have to try that, i was kinda thinking its because of the powersupply :x

Formula1
03-22-2005, 12:43 AM
Looks like i found out the problem. First i tried switching my power supply with my old ibm aptiva psu, but that didnt work. Next i switched the video card with my radeon 9000 pro in my hp pavillion, but that didnt work. Then i observed the components of my pc system, and i loosened the heatsink on the cpu, by unclipping the black thing that holds the cpu tight on the mobo. And this solved my problem. So in conclusion , my cpu was in tight contact with the motherboard, and this was what caused my problems. I wont bother with my dvd drive for now.

tesco
03-22-2005, 12:48 AM
what is the temp now? there might not be good contact between cpu and heatsink now...

lynx
03-22-2005, 01:52 AM
smokin

:frusty:

Formula1
03-22-2005, 01:53 AM
what is the temp now? there might not be good contact between cpu and heatsink now...

The pc has been on for over an hour now, and the pc temp is only 37C , cpu still seems hard in place, without have to tighten it with the clip :D