PDA

View Full Version : First Time Flying

BigBank_Hank
03-26-2005, 08:10 AM
Well on Sunday I’ll be flying for the first time in my life and I’m pretty nervous about it. I know that its no big deal and thousands of people do it everyday but for someone who’d never done it before it can be pretty nerve racking. Any suggestions or tips for making this easier are welcome.

I’m going to Chicago, St. Louis, and Atlantic City on a little get away for about two weeks, maybe more. This whole experience is about doing things I’ve always been afraid to do and flying is the main fear that I want to confront.

UKResident
03-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Make a will before you go, tell your friends how you'd like your funeral, what music to play, etc. Don't forget to carry an organ donor card. Have plenty of sick bags, and ask for an aisle seat so you can run to the toilet without climbing over someone. If the plane starts to crash, just remember, you chose to do this, don't start blaming people for your fiery death. Have a good trip, and remember, hundreds of people die in air crashes every year, so you won't be alone.

AussieSheila
03-26-2005, 08:45 AM
:blink:

Just enjoy it. Take off is fantastic, pretend you are a racing car driver. Once you're in the air you could be anywhere. My grandmother didn't fly until she was in her 80's and then she was very sorry she had avoided it, she loved every minute. If your ears pop, hold your nose and blow through it. Ask for a coloring book and pencils. :lookaroun

Hardly any planes crash ... relatively speaking. :rolleyes:

RPerry
03-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Make a will before you go, tell your friends how you'd like your funeral, what music to play, etc. Don't forget to carry an organ donor card. Have plenty of sick bags, and ask for an aisle seat so you can run to the toilet without climbing over someone. If the plane starts to crash, just remember, you chose to do this, don't start blaming people for your fiery death. Have a good trip, and remember, hundreds of people die in air crashes every year, so you won't be alone.

Glad to see you back to being your self again :dry:

SideSwiped
03-26-2005, 10:54 AM
:blink:

Just enjoy it. Take off is fantastic, pretend you are a racing car driver.

Yeah, your fellow passengers will love it if you make a vroom vroom sound effect while doing so. :fear:

bigboab
03-26-2005, 01:47 PM
The flights you are taking are just like a bus journey. Enjoy it. Get a window seat if you can. If you dont like it you can pull down the blind. if you do like it you will see some wonderful sights as you fly over the flight paths you are taking. I have done those flights, it is a fantastic experience. :)

Mr JP Fugley
03-26-2005, 02:07 PM
There really is nothing to worry about, in fact to be honest it's rather tedious. Get a seat over the wings if you can as that's the most stable part.

The only really interesting parts are the take-off and landing with the feeling of acceleration and the bumping (which is perfectly normal). Shortly after take-off you will hear a worrying grinding noise, it's only the wheels being raised so no worry as long as you know what it is. You may also get a slight dropping feeling as you are climbing again it is nothing to worry about, it happens all the time.

Have some hard sweets to suck, that will stop you getting pains in your ears, due to the pressure differences.

Just watch the cabin crew, who do this every day. If they are calm and relaxed then everything is cool, no matter what you may think at the time.

Enjoy yourself.

Illuminati
03-26-2005, 02:39 PM
I think most of the items I could say have already been answered :)

Before my family first went to the West Coast a few years back, we couldn't get my dad on a plane to save his life - But for some reason, we booked the trip as it was a change :lol: We had a look around the airport when we got there, looked at the planes at the gallery outside the gate. He ended up taking a window seat and watching the plane take off and land.

Now the only thing that we have more trouble getting him off are his beloved trains :lol:

Dunno about Atlantic City & St. Louis but Chigago O'Hare is a hell of an airport to go around. :) Other than that, use follow Sheila's advice on the air pressure (it's more an annoyance than anything) and JP's on the hard sweets & cabin crew. :)

And if you at any time worry about what happened in 9/11 happening to your flight, slap yourself silly for it. It can be a worry, but it was a one-off in hundreds of thousands of flights - And there's a better chance of being caught for filesharing than having a disaster on an aircraft :lol:

accat13
03-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Just a few hints:chew gum,yawn,clamp down with your teeth and release(prey you don't have a cold this can be the worst time for pressure changes).Bring some gravol in case of upset tummie...Drink lots of fluids it can become quite dry up there.But stay away from the coffee or tea,aircraft water systems are not the best :).If drinking water make sure its bottled.Get up and stretch your legs.Keep your seat belt on when seated.Durring the safety demo pay attention.If they mention lifevests make sure its there under your seat.(if not tell the flight attendant they do fall out occasionally).Enjoy the flight think how long it would take to do the drive...My favourite part if your car was maintained as well as this aircraft it would look brand new for 30 years...When you leave the aircraft, maintenance pounces on it,from cleaning to checking the fluids its all done..Safest method of travel..

Busyman
03-26-2005, 07:38 PM
I hate flying.

I have no control but I have to do it in the business I'm in.

They always say, "When it's your time to go, it's your time to go."

What about when it's the pilots time? :angry:

bigboab
03-26-2005, 07:40 PM
I hate flying.

I have no control but I have to do it in the business I'm in.

They always say, "When it's your time to go, it's your time to go."

What about when it's the pilots time? :angry:

Could that be described as Predestination? :blink:

Busyman
03-26-2005, 07:48 PM
Could that be described as Predestination? :blink:
A little unfair...I think. :angry:

hobbes
03-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, we frequent fliers don't really like to discuss such things, but here goes.

Due to imperfections in cabin pressure, as you ascend, the diminishing atmospheric pressure causes the gas in your colon to markedly expand.

Bottom line, most passengers spend the first 5 minutes of the flight farting like trumpets to decompress.

You can see how this is not openly discussed. It just happens and you have to deal with it for a bit.

Busyman
03-26-2005, 08:36 PM
Well, we frequent fliers don't really like to discuss such things, but here goes.

Due to imperfections in cabin pressure, as you ascend, the diminishing atmospheric pressure causes the gas in your colon to markedly expand.

Bottom line, most passengers spend the first 5 minutes of the flight farting like trumpets to decompress.

You can see how this is not openly discussed. It just happens and you have to deal with it for a bit.
I'm a frequent flier and don't have that problem...thank goodness....er....it's the fat lady next to me that fucks it up for everybody. :sick:

bigboab
03-26-2005, 08:45 PM

Was that the reason for this statement in the Lounge? :rolleyes:

Sometimes I'm a stinker. :naughty:

RPerry
03-26-2005, 09:06 PM

I've only been on a plane about 5 times in my whole life, but never had that happen :huh: Thanks for the warning though, next time I'll carry nose plugs in my shirt pocket :cool:

Mr JP Fugley
03-26-2005, 09:12 PM
I've flown shed loads of time.

The flatulance theory sounds like bunkum to me.

Maybe It's a personal problem you have bunny boy.

AussieSheila
03-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Yup, I've flown lots of times and never had that problem hobbes. Of course I am a lady and ladies dont you know. :naughty:

I think this may be your own personal problem. :rolleyes:

Busyman
03-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Yup, I've flown lots of times and never had that problem hobbes. Of course I am a lady and ladies dont you know. :naughty:

I think this may be your own personal problem. :rolleyes:
Yup...hobbes admitted it.

He has a wet fartey ass. :sick:

BigBank_Hank
03-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think that I’ll have a stiff drink before we take off to help settle me down. Other than that I’m good to go :01:

Busyman
03-26-2005, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think that I’ll have a stiff drink before we take off to help settle me down. Other than that I’m good to go :01:
..and go to sleep.

I hope you don't encounter TUrbUlEnCe!!!! :wacko: :frusty:

:devil:

keyser_soze
03-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I hate flying, I had a bad experiance with a bird strike in Glasgow and that sorta finished it for me :sick: I'm not too bothered about the pilot although its true he might be having a bad day u never know? I'm more bothered about the mechanics and other ground staff, U know how it is last thing in the garage friday afternoon :rolleyes: I once saw a pilot kicking the tyres on a plane before boarding :wacko: a 5 year old car you kick the tyres on not an airplane, as for the flatulence bit I thought the cabin pressure remained the same regardless although I would'nt know as I'm always too drunk and popped up on valium to notice, my theory being get 4 valium off the doc supposedly 2 for way there and 2 for way back although I just take all four on way there and worry about the way back later :D curiously though valium is cheaper to get off drug dealers than on prescription. :naughty:

hobbes
03-26-2005, 10:33 PM
http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Summer2/FishingRod.gif

Oh rolling over this one.

You guys know I don't like ruining my subtle jokes with smilies. Why do you think I posted in the lounge and used the word stinker. It was a remote smilie.

Synthesis people, synthesis.

Of course people don't fart like trumpets when planes take off, but I am literally in tears over the response.

Wasn'T my post over the top enough. Pseudoscientific jibber jabber, farting like trumpets, a big commuter secret.

I was going to tell Hank it was a joke later to be sure he didn't worry, just wanted to let my first get kick around for a while.

:01:

I guess I was bad today, I should dio it more often.

Flying is fun.

cpt_azad
03-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Just keep this in mind Hank, more people die/get injured from car accidents than planes. A hell of a lot more, thousands of times more ;) . lol, and to think I wanna be a pilot, my mom calls me crazy. Just get the window seat, trust me, when I first flew I was so scared (12 years old) but the takeoff, oh man, it's one of the most exhilarating experiences you can have, and as the plane lands it's even more thrilling because you can't really see the runway.

We were landing at Seoul Kimpo Airport (back in 2000) and I remember that the airport was close to water, so here I am looking out my window as the plane descends and all I see is water...I was so freaked out. But seriously though, there's nothing to be worried about.

And who knows, if you like this first experience (as I liked mine) you might fly more often and become so accustommed(SP!) to it, you'll be able to sleep through the whole thing (it's easier than it sounds).

hobbes
03-26-2005, 11:02 PM
error

oh well since I double posted by mistake, I see people might have gotten it once they ventured to the lounge.

Busyman
03-26-2005, 11:18 PM
http://d21c.com/AnnesPlace/Summer2/FishingRod.gif

Oh rolling over this one.

You guys know I don't like ruining my subtle jokes with smilies. Why do you think I posted in the lounge and used the word stinker. It was a remote smilie.

Synthesis people, synthesis.

Of course people don't fart like trumpets when planes take off, but I am literally in tears over the response.

Wasn'T my post over the top enough. Pseudoscientific jibber jabber, farting like trumpets, a big commuter secret.

I was going to tell Hank it was a joke later to be sure he didn't worry, just wanted to let my first get kick around for a while.

:01:

I guess I was bad today, I should dio it more often.

Flying is fun.
Seeing that no one believed it, I think you got one serious response.

Either way I thought it rather funny.

(I wondered why I heard a brass section on take-off :unsure: )

MagicNakor
03-27-2005, 03:44 AM
You could always get some sedatives from your doctor if it's a real issue. That's what I end up having to do.

:shuriken:

BigBank_Hank
03-27-2005, 04:24 AM
You could always get some sedatives from your doctor if it's a real issue. That's what I end up having to do.

:shuriken:
I have some here but I really don’t want to take them because I want to face this head on.

hobbes
03-27-2005, 04:31 AM
I have some here but I really don’t want to take them because I want to face this head on.

If you can trust that the roller coaster will not derail and enjoy the ride, you can feel the same confidence about flying. The difference is that the Captain is on the plane with you and has everything to lose. A rollercoaster is Captainless.

Flying is great fun. Small bumps are normal, just like potholes in the road.

Best of luck.

fkdup74
03-27-2005, 06:14 AM
my first time flying hank....i was nervous for....
about as long as it took to buy the tickets :P
after that i put it out of my mind
i was in a window seat, and it never bothered me
in fact, the sites were beautiful,
seen from a totaly new perspective
it actually left me more in a state of awe
Mt. Shasta was a bitchin scene from that far up
and yeah, the acceleration was pretty fkn cool too :w00t:

accat13
03-27-2005, 09:32 AM
you wanna try cool try a real 767 flight sim(worlds most expensive video game)..After about 20 min I started to feel air sick...Talk about embarrassing...I Let my buddy land but take off was a blast.Something I will never forget..:)

lynx
03-27-2005, 11:27 AM
Don't forget to tell the stewardess that it's your first time and ask her to initiate you into the mile high club. :devil:

cpt_azad
03-27-2005, 11:09 PM
Don't forget to tell the stewardess that it's your first time and ask her to initiate you into the mile high club. :devil:

of course of course, the mile high club :rolleyes: :w00t: my last attempts to join ended in embarrasment :naughty: :blushing: . I acutally asked one of the stewardess's about it and asked if I could ummm....initiate. I'm just lucky I didn't get slapped in the face :lookaroun (this was 2 months ago).

cpt_azad
03-27-2005, 11:14 PM
you wanna try cool try a real 767 flight sim(worlds most expensive video game)..After about 20 min I started to feel air sick...Talk about embarrassing...I Let my buddy land but take off was a blast.Something I will never forget..:)

I once had the oppurtunity to take control of a 747 sim (ya, those big ones w/ hydraulics and all the buttons have a function :pinch: ). the takeoff was so damn real i was actually holding onto my seat (my uncle was doing the takeoff, i was in the F/O's seat). I don't know what kind of sound system they have in there but the subwoofer had to be atleast 1000 Watts :wacko: . I tried to land it and did (kind of off center on the runway, but there were some winds coming from the west), but man was it fun. This was at the Singapore Airlines Training Center in Singapore (right next to Changi Intl'. So lets see here, Pilots do/are the following:

1) Take control of huge fucking machines
2) Rich ass bastards
3) Automatic initiation into the Mile High Club and any other subsidiary programs :naughty:
4) Did I mention numbers 2 and 3?

BigBank_Hank
03-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Live from Chicago Illinois its BigBank_Hank.

The flight was incredible and I loved every second. My sister who flies all the time was with me and she said that I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time. Take offs and landings were incredible and I’d like to do them all day long. I loved the whole experience and can’t wait to do it again.

Illuminati
03-28-2005, 02:35 AM

The flight was incredible and I loved every second. My sister who flies all the time was with me and she said that I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time. Take offs and landings were incredible and I’d like to do them all day long. I loved the whole experience and can’t wait to do it again.

We told ya Hank - Just like my father :D

Enjoy the trip - The first flights you have are great :)

Shame there's no more Concorde to try though :(

AussieSheila
03-28-2005, 03:48 AM

Awwww ... that is very cool. It is mighty fun isn't it? Although long flights are very boring. Did you get fed on the plane?

BigBank_Hank
03-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Well we got peanuts and a coke so you can’t really call that being fed :lol:

lynx
03-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Well we got peanuts and a coke so you can’t really call that being fed :lol:IKE calls that a feast. :shutup:

cpt_azad
03-29-2005, 10:30 AM
Oh man, Hank, if you could only travel back to the 90's and fly, or you know pre-2001 and have a friend who's a pilot. I got the flightdeck tour (and spent most of the flight in it) back in 1998, my uncle flies for Singapore Airlines (Airbus A340). It's so freakin sweet, I remember I wanted to see the landing from teh flightdeck but they're like no, it's too risky :( but for the most part it's the best time i've ever had....all those switches and buttons :wacko: .

Nice to hear your flight went well, personally, I'm in it for the take-offs and approach(descent)/landings.

fkdup74
03-29-2005, 05:44 PM

cool deal :)
and yeah i remember the ear to ear smiles...
(its easier than most people think to get over the edginess and just enjoy the scenery)
my flights were between LAX and SeaTac, usually 1 hr 45 mins - 2 hrs,
and smiling that freakin long left my face sore from grinning so damned much :lol:

j2k4
03-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Wish I could've posted sooner, Hank.

Glad you enjoyed it; I always do-it never gets old.

One tip:

Learn to plan your trips (as long as they are for pleasure) for north-south jaunts; they're generally quicker (less boring) and jet-lag is minimized.

tesco
03-30-2005, 01:53 AM
edit: too late.