PDA

View Full Version : 2 os on one pc

NeoTheOne
03-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Hey all

I have a 160 gb hard drive and i want to insatll 2 os on it i am runnig win xp home and i want to insatll on the other one win xp pro how will i go about doing this

harrycary
03-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Just partition the hardrive and install the different O/S's on them.

It truly is not rocket science

But, being there is basically small differences between XP & XP Pro, it seems like a complete waste of time. I mean, for 98% of users out there, there is absolutely no need for WinXP Pro in a home environment.

Virtualbody1234
03-28-2005, 01:42 AM
there is absolutely no need for WinXP Pro in a home environment.
That's why we all need the pro (corp). :whistling

RPerry
03-28-2005, 08:26 AM
That's why we all need the pro (corp). :whistling

My thinking exactly.

on topic, you were given the correct answer, all you have to do is partition the drive :cool:

Snee
03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
I wouldn't bother at all if you still want home, as has previously been stated the difference between home and pro isn't big, and you probably won't even notice it when gaming.

Still, if it was me, I'd do away with xp home altogether and install pro instead.

peat moss
03-28-2005, 03:19 PM
Why not try Winxp/Linux ,for fun ? Learn a new o/s at the same time . Or xp /win98se. just for the hell of it. When you partion you may have to set up in FAT not NTFS . :)

Snee
03-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Assuming he has home installed on c: he'll need to format and reinstall to use win98, unless he can find a disc where that's been sorted, 'cos win98 needs to be on c:, at the beginning of the disc.

But linux is cool.

One way of setting it up would be an initial NTFS partition at about ten gigs, where he can install xp, one FAT32 partition taking up the rest of the space, save the last ten gigs, and then lastly, to install mandrake or SuSe (noob-friendly distros) on the last ten gigs, letting suse/mandy set up their own partitions on the available space.

That way grub/lilo installs on top of the windows boot, and he's got a large partition he can install both linux and windows software on. And he doesn't have to go looking for an additional boot-manager either.

tesco
03-28-2005, 04:52 PM
I'd try linux. :)

The setup of it is very simple, it does all the partitioning for you (but you can do it manually if u wish).

NeoTheOne
03-28-2005, 05:51 PM
yea i want to try linux but i had a bad expiernece with it i messed up my OS before lol. BTw can i run 3 OS lol i want Xp pro for Asp.net and stuff and if anyone has a REAL GOOD guide on installing LinuX SAfely then yea id probloly will but is it possible to have 3 OS

uNz[i]
03-28-2005, 06:17 PM
Yes. I've heard of a PC running 7 OS's.

It wasn't stable, but stability wasn't the aim.
The aim was to see how many OS's could work on a single box before it lost the plot. :lol:

NeoTheOne
03-28-2005, 06:29 PM
LOL, o well school's staring tomorro and i dont want a headache so i was thinking of a more safer way, is it possible to run 2 OS from 2Hard drives i have an old 6 gb one and i was thinking of insatlling Linux on it so if install linux using my old computer and take the hard drive and hook it up to this computer will it give me a chocie to boot either one?