PDA

View Full Version : RAM Help Needed.

summond_skull
03-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Sup Doods 'n' Doodettes.

Anywayz I'll get to the point. I have 256RAM at the moment, and I'm wanting an upgrade so I'm able to run more programs at once so my computer don't crash anymore, I was thinking of getting another 256RAM so I'd have 512 thus me being able to run more programs and a better CPU performance. I was wonderin' how much does 256RAM Normally cost? I live in the United Kingdom, so it'll be £'s ^_^;

Thanks for readin'.

Snee
03-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Have a look here. (http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kc.asp?bn=10232)

Compare prices here. (http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/computing/components/memory/)

fkdup74
03-28-2005, 04:32 PM
i would grab a stick of 512 MB
probably only about 10-15£ extra
if you can dish out the extra money,
would be well worth it IMO

Peerzy
03-28-2005, 04:48 PM
If you only have 256mb of ram i dare to think what the rest of your specs are. So what are they? If they are only like 900Mhz with 4mb graphics card you have bigger problems than your ram :lol:

summond_skull
03-28-2005, 04:49 PM
How'd I check what type of RAM my computer is? Theres soo many: DDR, EDO, PC and SC :{

EDIT: I have like 1100MHZ, and A Nivdia GeForce 4 Graphics card. That okay? :(

tesco
03-28-2005, 05:02 PM
How'd I check what type of RAM my computer is? Theres soo many: DDR, EDO, PC and SC :{

Do you know what motherboard it has? If so you could look up on google what ram it uses.

If not then you can download Everest (http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3) and look at the ram specs it should tell you everything.

Peerzy
03-28-2005, 05:26 PM

Well that graphics card costs like £25 now-a-days. The CPU is worth little to nothing, you have 1100MHz the latest are pushing onto 3800Mhz. Most games need 1500Mhz min to run, or at least the new ones do (Along with 512mb of ram and DX9 compatable graphics card). Your card isnt DX9 compatable either.

Will you be gaming with this pc?

Snee
03-28-2005, 05:42 PM
It's probably regular sd133-ram, or if you are lucky, early DDR-ram (200-266mhz maybe).

Peerzy
03-28-2005, 05:54 PM
It's probably regular sd133-ram, or if you are lucky, early DDR-ram (200-266mhz maybe).

Yeah, the stuff dreams were made of, in 1980 :rolleyes:

summond_skull
03-28-2005, 06:45 PM
Nahh, I don't game much, I just run a lot of Adobe programs like Photoshop, ImageReady, MSN Messenger and Firefox at the same time, and I have like on average around 12 MSN Convo's open and it really slows me computer :(, I'm just lookin' for somethin' that can make it run more programs without "lagging"

peat moss
03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Probaly the cheapest way to upgrade your computer. Always laffed at how the older memory is more costly .

Samurai
03-29-2005, 08:46 AM
time to buy a new pc, my 4 year old pc that i gave to my sister has better specs than that :dry:

clocker
03-29-2005, 04:15 PM
I just run a lot of Adobe programs like Photoshop, ImageReady, MSN Messenger and Firefox at the same time, and I have like on average around 12 MSN Convo's open and it really slows me computer :(, I'm just lookin' for somethin' that can make it run more programs without "lagging"
I believe that the "something" you are looking for is a new PC. :(
It's time to look at your current machine as an investment...how much return will you get for the cash you'll put into it?

Sadly, not only is older (SD) RAM too pricey (unless you go for used), but it can't be carried forward to a new build.
Essentially, this makes it a total loss when you move forward.

Furthermore, the list of open programs that you trivialize with "just", is actually a significant enough load to require a more modern CPU.

I assume that budget is an issue (it certainly is for most folks), but seriously, how much sense does it make to keep sinking money into a machine that will never fulfill your current needs, much less prove capable of handling new demands?

I'd start looking to find some used RAM (you should be able to score a 256MB stick of PC 100/133 for <$20) and then set your sights on "movin on up".

Apparently I am channeling Suze Ormand this morning....