PDA

View Full Version : half life 2 troubles.

Esal
03-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Well, I have a cd key that is 100% legit. even though i have the cd key, i dont have the game, i have a downloaded version of the game. (Half.Life.2.Collectors.Edition.DVD.READ.NFO-PROViSiON) When I isntall the game, steam also installs. However, I try to play the game through steam, but I cant, when I click on Half Life 2 under most recent, it asks me to buy it. So I click on register a game I already own, put in my cd key, and it tells me I have to have the game installed already, which it is. So then I go straight to HL2, and when I click to play it a steam dialogue appears, and is called 'My cracked games'. Well I click on HL2 and can play, but when I try to play CS:S, it tells me my version is out of date. I really just wanna play CS:S online. Ive downlaoded steam from there site, and still not sure where to go from there. How can I make steam detect the games I have? Am I doing something wrong?

ready1
03-29-2005, 03:48 AM
1. Download Steam, install it, let it update.
2. Make an account or if you already have the cd key connected to an account use that.
3. Go to play games
4. From there you can download hl2, cs:s, any of the games the cd key entitles you to have.

You don't need to have any hard copy of the game, just download it through steam.

Alternatively you can play with the cracked version of the game by reading the instructions on how to use steamengine and downloading all the updates BUT this probably isn't what you want because
1. you risk getting your cd key banned if they detect your not using steam.
2. You have to get all the cracked updates, which means waitting for emp to release them then manually downloading them.

Best thing is to just get steam and download the games, even if you have to leave it overnight. It's worth it in the end because you won't have extra waits when new upates come out, and steam lets you back up your games so you don't have to redownload them if oyu reformat.

Esal
03-29-2005, 05:19 AM
Well Im in steam, my account isnt tied to any cd key yet, I havnt been able to successfully put one in. But, once I go to play games, should I select HL2 under 'just released'? Once I do, It goes to where I can purchase them, and thats where I see the 'register product I already own'. WHen I click that and put in the key, it tells me thats where I have to have it installed already. Where do I go to download the games in steam?

ready1
03-29-2005, 07:30 AM
oh..

Well i'm not sure, when I used a legit key it let me download the games, I thought it would be the same for others as well.
Once your in steam go to browse games, then click on register a product i already own, then they should appear under "my games" (not "just released") and when you doublle click on them steam goes to download the game.

cpt_azad
03-29-2005, 10:26 AM
control panel>add remove programs>remove HL2

once you've uninstalled it (and all components) go back to steam, and register the product (legit cd key) then download HL2 and CSS and any other games the cdkey entitles you to.

Esal
03-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Can you tell me about registering the product? What I mean is, explain to me how to do that through steam. Within steam, I go to Play Games, click on HL2, and it brings up urchase options. In the bottom left theres a 'register a prodcut I already own' button, which I press, put in my legit cd key, and it tells me I have to have the product installed from disc, which it is! Is it required to have a cdkey to download HL2 with stam?

TheDave
03-29-2005, 11:03 PM
my cracked games? facetious cunts :lol:

Peerzy
03-29-2005, 11:28 PM
Do the following:

1)Uninstall Half Life 2, Steam and anything else you have installed thats to do with HL.
2) Install Steam
3) Download: Half.Life.2.Retail-VENGANCE
4) Install Half.Life.2.Retail-VENGANCE
5) Open Steam and click register products i already own
6) Enter HL2 cd key

I had the same problem as you, i stole a cd key but not the discs. You need the Half.Life.2.Retail-VENGANCE version.

Esal
03-30-2005, 12:45 AM
so peerzy, with the vengance version itll see that I have it installed? I hope so, just have to download that version. If I just want to play counter strike, do I have to have HL2, or can i just find a CS:S torrent? any special version I should get? I went to walmart opened the package and took a pic of the cd key with my digital camera, then tore off a piece of the paper so the cd key is forever mine!!

McNutter
03-30-2005, 02:21 AM
Hi guys.

I'm asking for a big favour. I need to use a steam account to get to get HL2 installed/activated/updated. I have the CD version but it's useless without an account. I would need the account for an hour or so after that you could change the password etc so I don't have access anymore. It's a long shot but any volunteers?

cpt_azad
03-30-2005, 02:23 AM
so wait, u took a picture of it yet you eventually tore it off? kinda pointless to take a picture when you're going to have the actual "paper" in ur hand dont ya think? and yes, do what peerz told u to do. he knows his stuff.

Peerzy
03-30-2005, 03:22 AM
Hi guys.

I'm asking for a big favour. I need to use a steam account to get to get HL2 installed/activated/updated. I have the CD version but it's useless without an account. I would need the account for an hour or so after that you could change the password etc so I don't have access anymore. It's a long shot but any volunteers?

Buy it or steal it from a shop like everyone else did here.

The PROViSiON release has been altered and doesn't use Steam, it uses a crappy emulator that they stole from VENGANCE and altered to make it worse. The VENGANCE release uses a Steam emulator to install the game, but once installed you can run it through Steam providing you have a retail cd key, which is what you and I have. I was in the same boat as you were just get the VENGANCE release. I think there are still active torrents HERE (http://www.torrentspy.com) or you can do what i did and get it from IRC, on IRC it took me less than 4 hours as most of the times the bots maxxed me out. Newsgroups might also be worth a try. If worse comes to worse im sure its on emule.

and yes, do what peerzY told u to do. he knows his stuff.

I do know what im doing :lookaroun by the way, hows your 10Mb connection doing? :01: (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=92732&page=2)

Esal
03-30-2005, 04:43 AM
Thanks for the help peerzy, im already 1/4 way done downloading the vengance release from torrentspy. As for why i tore it off....well I didnt tear the whole thing off. I wanted to get in and out of the store as fast as I could. I took some pics, and tore off a small piece, its hard to peel it off all in one piece, but without one digit of the cd key, let alone 5-9, they wont be able to use the cd key. So if they put the game back on shelves and someone buys it, opens it and discovers there cd key sticker has been defaced, they wont be able to use it, and i am forever the only holder of the cd key. I am a mastermind. And also, what about updates? Will i have to apply the latest patches, or will steam do it, or what?

Peerzy
03-30-2005, 04:47 AM
Steam will update.

cpt_azad
03-30-2005, 05:02 AM
my 10mbps is doing just fine :) (thanks for teh 1337 own4g3 :lookaroun )