PDA

View Full Version : I've had enough of newsgroups

99shassan
03-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Everything I download ends up a 0 byte text files. The download bar always uses green, not blue and green. If they do download, half of the rar files download and the other half downloads text files.

Peerzy
03-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Everything I download ends up a 0 byte text files. The download bar always uses green, not blue and green. If they do download, half of the rar files download and the other half downloads text files.

Your using your ISP's shit server or just don't know how to use the program you are using.

{I}{K}{E}
03-29-2005, 08:39 PM
maybe the NZB's are not working?

Damnatory
03-29-2005, 09:24 PM
If they do download, half of the rar files download and the other half downloads text files.

I had that happen alot when I was using NewsLeecher, it's buggy, there is a program you can use to manually decode them, it's like yyenc or something of the sort...

RedSkywalker
04-07-2008, 11:07 PM
I've just started to have that happen too. I used Grabit to dl a load of jpg files of all different sizes but they all turned out to be 0 byte text files.

zot
04-08-2008, 05:50 AM
I've just started to have that happen too. I used Grabit to dl a load of jpg files of all different sizes but they all turned out to be 0 byte text files.

Hi RedSkywalker. I hope you noticed that this discussion thread is several years old.

Grabit was definitely NOT made to download jpeg files. For downloading pictures, you would be better off using almost any other newsreader instead of Grabit. There are also many websites (both free and pay) that have online viewers where you can view Usenet pictures as thumbnails, then download what you want to keep.

Skiz
04-08-2008, 05:07 PM

Hi RedSkywalker. I hope you noticed that this discussion thread is several years old.

Grabit was definitely NOT made to download jpeg files. For downloading pictures, you would be better off using almost any other newsreader instead of Grabit. There are also many websites (both free and pay) that have online viewers where you can view Usenet pictures as thumbnails, then download what you want to keep.

Why would Grabit not download image files properly? That doesn't make any sense. :blink:

Windy72
04-11-2008, 06:37 PM
Why would Grabit not download image files properly? That doesn't make any sense. :blink:

Grabit only decodes yEnc encoded files. If the poster used an older encoding method then grabit will download as a text file. There are third part decoders if anyone searching try goggling. I use Forte Agent for picture groups supports all of the different encode methods no need for third party software to decode. Some posters/lurkers in the older smaller pictures groups hate yEnc post so much so that bitch and whine at the posters. I just laugh at the fools sat behind their Commodore 64 machines.

Getting started on usenet can be a bit more of a pain than using p2p. Stick with it. Like others have said ensure you get a decent NSP. I would say pay for giganews get to understand usenet then look for cheaper alternatives. End of day if you cannot understand it then use whatever works for you. Good luck.

claudandus
04-12-2008, 03:13 AM
I just laugh at the fools sat behind their Commodore 64 machines.

whats so wrong with the good old C=64 :), i still have a working one here:D:lol: with floppies and a set of Cool Kick-Ass Demo's :naughty:

i adore my Commodore 64 :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Windy72
04-12-2008, 12:24 PM
I just laugh at the fools sat behind their Commodore 64 machines.

whats so wrong with the good old C=64 :), i still have a working one here:D:lol: with floppies and a set of Cool Kick-Ass Demo's :naughty:

I dunno as I had the far superior ZX Spectrum 48 k:P

claudandus
04-12-2008, 06:46 PM

SPECCY!!!!1111einz <3 <3 <3 <3
with a dead flesh keyboard i hope? :)

*wants one*

BigH
04-14-2008, 12:06 PM

SPECCY!!!!1111einz <3 <3 <3 <3
with a dead flesh keyboard i hope? :)

*wants one*

I've finally run out of paper for my Spectrum 48 printer - anyone know the cheapest place to buy some? :)