PDA

View Full Version : Log On screen for WINXP not so secure?

kurse
03-31-2005, 04:30 PM
I have just changed my log on password for the only account on my computer. My account. I caught my brother surfing the net, not even on Safe mode, like he knew my password. But he couldn't have. So he was like, "I know how to get on your computer now". It made me really angry that this log on password stuff wasnt really working. Does anyone know if there are ways to get in without knowing the password? I want to prevent my brother of anyone else from coming onto my computer and by mistake, they put spyware on my computer and get some virus.

TheDave
03-31-2005, 04:39 PM
set a bios password

kurse
03-31-2005, 04:41 PM
How do I set up a BIOS password

TheDave
03-31-2005, 04:42 PM
enter your bios when the pc starts and set user password

kurse
03-31-2005, 04:55 PM
ok, ive done it. I set up a password. Now, are you sure that this is safe. Theres no way anyone can find out unless I tell them my password. Or is there still anyway to get into my computer without it? Im pretty sure there is like taking out my hardrive and other stuff like that but Im talking from the mouse and keyboard.

4play
03-31-2005, 04:58 PM
how will this stop people loging in as you?

I would check threw all the users accounts on your pc and make sure he has not included his own. its pretty much impossible to lock down a windows machine locally. too many ways to get in. for example getting a knoppix cd copying the sam file then cracking it with lophtcrack will give you all the passwords.

TheDave
03-31-2005, 05:06 PM
unless they open your pc up and flash the bios you're safe

kurse
03-31-2005, 05:09 PM
What is a knoppix cd and all that? Can you explain into detail? How do you suppose I check all the user accounts? I am the only one who has an account, but in safe mode it shows administrator and my account. I cant log into the administrator one.

TheDave
03-31-2005, 05:12 PM
you've lost me. with a bios password though the computer wont even try to boot anything until someone enters that password correctly.

kurse
03-31-2005, 05:15 PM
TheDAVE is right, I couldn't even start safe mode without the BIOS password, Thanks for the information THEDAVE! It workks great!

4play
03-31-2005, 05:21 PM
take the battery out of the motherbaord make yourself a cup of tea and put it back in after. the bios password will have magically vanished. still most people dont know that so the bios password should be fine.

harrycary
04-01-2005, 12:12 AM
Knoppix is a form of Linux, an open-source(free) operating system. If you burn it to a CD, you can run this operating system right from you CD drive. This is done by changing your Bios to "boot from CD first", thus allowing someone to use your PC. But, they won't be able to access Windows XP, XP Pro, NT, or 2000 if they are password protected. Other Windows versions probably are accessible since they aren't truly secure like other versions.

tesco
04-01-2005, 01:06 AM
set password for all accounts on the computer. (because even at the welcome screen he can rpess alt-ctrl-del twice to get to a login prompt where u can type in a username).

right click my comp>manage>users and groups (on the left)>disable any accounts you dont use that amy be there, or delete them if he has created one, and right click on the administrator account and click set password.

accat13
04-02-2005, 12:38 AM
If he goes here and creates a boot disk,your in big trouble.He will change your passwords.The only way its safe is to lock the room :). http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

kurse
04-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Hey guys thanks for all of your help, I searched google and it turns out there are ways to bypass a bios password, just see for yourself. But the main reason I want to protect my computer from people is because they do not know about spyware, adware, viruses, and all of that stuff like I do. So what I'm basically protecting here is my internet connection, and I found a way. Ive been using Sygate Firewall a little bit under 2 years and it provides you with a password protection. What I do is, I turn the password protection on by setting a password ofcourse and before I turn of my computer, I set Sygate to Block All Traffic and the next person that tries to get on cannot get into the internet without a password on Sygate. And you cant uninstall it without a password either.

Storm
04-02-2005, 08:38 PM
password protect the bios (like said before), and put a padlock on your computer's side panels (make sure you dont let the keys lie about :P )

now he cant even take the battery out of your mobo to reset the bios......

kurse
04-03-2005, 03:33 AM
What if I disable my DVD/Cd rom, can they still use the knoppix cd?

tesco
04-03-2005, 03:51 AM
What if I disable my DVD/Cd rom, can they still use the knoppix cd?
no.
how do you disable an optical drive though? you mean uninstall it(undetect it :huh: ) in the bios then lock it so they cant put it back in? :unsure:

kurse
04-03-2005, 04:10 AM
I mean, right click on My Computer>Properties>click on Hardware Tab>Click Device Manager>Disable your DVD/CD-ROM Drive by right clicking on the drives and Click Disable. Now the next time they try to get into my computer, they can't put in a cd (Knoppix).

tesco
04-03-2005, 04:46 AM
I mean, right click on My Computer>Properties>click on Hardware Tab>Click Device Manager>Disable your DVD/CD-ROM Drive by right clicking on the drives and Click Disable. Now the next time they try to get into my computer, they can't put in a cd (Knoppix).
oh, no, that disables it from in windows, but the knoppix cd doesn't use windows. it's a whole different operating system. ;)

kurse
04-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Oh I see, thank you for the information. Plz answer this new thread I have just posted as it's related to this thread in a sence. http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t93587-.html

well i guess i should just enable my drives again then.

UPDATE: I found that the person that was going into my computer did infact have some sort of cd, but he didnt say what kind. So for sure this is something I need to prevent. Plz help!

tesco
04-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Go into your bios and disable booting from cds (remove it form teh bootorder) then put a password on teh bios + bios setup.
Padlock the back of the computer after thatso they cant reset the bios/cmos. :P