PDA

View Full Version : Holy shit, Sin City got 3 1/2 Stars from major critic :o

Formula1
04-01-2005, 08:12 PM
http://critics.com/s/sincity.htm

The person that gave it one star is an asshole.

{I}{K}{E}
04-01-2005, 08:24 PM
I don't look @ those stats. IMDb has a much better rating sytem if you wanna know if its a good movie or not, or just check the trailer ;)

Formula1
04-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah, i definetely go with imdb when thinking of seeing a movie. But aprt from that Roger Ebert's critique is the best out of the other major critics.

3RA1N1AC
04-01-2005, 10:20 PM
i prefer www.rottentomatoes.com 'cause it uses a larger sample to figure its average, and includes blurbs from most of 'um. includes not only a larger number of mainstream reviews, but also some critics from indie & genre websites so there's a bit more variety to the opinions.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sin_city/

key: red tomato = positive, green splat = negative. :P

BoB!1!
04-02-2005, 12:13 AM
is sin city that thing on bravo or men and mottors. or summit. where that guy walks around the city walking into strip clubs and fetish houses. and talks about it?

Adster
04-02-2005, 12:30 AM
looks awesome actually Quentin Tarininto apparently directed a scene which we will all argue about what scene he directed for years!

Busyman
04-02-2005, 12:36 AM
I go by previews only.

Fuck critics. :dry:

Adster
04-02-2005, 01:12 AM
I go by previews only.

shouldn't you go by the movie?? you know actually watch it

when you buy a car do you go by the commercial?? or do you guy by what the car dealer says

Busyman
04-02-2005, 01:20 AM
shouldn't you go by the movie?? you know actually watch it

when you buy a car do you go by the commercial?? or do you guy by what the car dealer says
I can't watch the movie before I watch it. :blink:

A good preview = me seeing the motherfucker at the theater when it's released :wacko:

Adster
04-02-2005, 01:28 AM
ok fair enough

Just that sometimes some previews can be miss leading look at Alexander the trailer they showed looked kick ass in the trailer they only showed bits of the 2 battle scenes/

the movie was just Alexander the shit 3 hrs and about 20 mins of it was battle scenes

3RA1N1AC
04-02-2005, 01:51 AM
I go by previews only.

dude, trailers? you ever go see a comedy 'cause the trailer was so great, and then realize that the movie only has 3 good jokes and they were all in the trailer?

ALSO: this guy. (http://www.abc.net.au/thingo/txt/s1123910.htm) the voice. "thunder throat." the one in all of the trailers. video is a few minutes long, totally worth watching.

Busyman
04-02-2005, 02:15 AM
dude, trailers? trailers are so friggin' deceptive. it's the art of making bad movies look good. like when you go see a comedy 'cause the trailer was so great, and then realize that the movie only has 3 good jokes and they were all in the trailer.

ALSO: this guy. (http://www.abc.net.au/thingo/txt/s1123910.htm) the voice. the one in all of the trailers. video is a few minutes long, totally worth watching.
I gotcha but what you may get from a trailer and what I get from one is probably different.

I don't go to the theater often anymore and now that it's Spring time I see 3 movies at the drive-in for 9 bucks and I can sleep through the shit ones (sometimes there's one I won't care for)

For me to go see a movie at a regular theater it usually has to seem REEEALLY good by the preview or is something I already wanted to see.

Example: Star Wars Episode III, Sin City, Batman,..etc

EVERYONE knows trailers can fool you...

....but so can stuffy bitch ass critics. Most of them suck. :dry:

3RA1N1AC
04-02-2005, 07:03 AM
yeah point taken. some people just don't like reading reviews, or think analyzing entertainment takes all the joy out of it. personally i think most reviewers aren't too good, but i do enjoy it when a reviewer knows how to write well and actually has good insightful comments to make.

i guess my problem with trailers (and why i don't find them very reliable) is not only that they can make bad movies look good or good movies look bad, but oftentimes they misrepresent what the movie is about. a trailer can make a movie look as if it's about one thing, when it's really about something completely different.

edit: having said that... of course professional reviewers aren't the be-all & end-all. i'm sure everyone has at least one favorite movie that's been widely trashed by both reviewers and fans.

Busyman
04-02-2005, 02:55 PM
yeah point taken. some people just don't like reading reviews, or think analyzing entertainment takes all the joy out of it. personally i think most reviewers aren't too good, but i do enjoy it when a reviewer knows how to write well and actually has good insightful comments to make.

i guess my problem with trailers (and why i don't find them very reliable) is not only that they can make bad movies look good or good movies look bad, but oftentimes they misrepresent what the movie is about. a trailer can make a movie look as if it's about one thing, when it's really about something completely different.

edit: having said that... of course professional reviewers aren't the be-all & end-all. i'm sure everyone has at least one favorite movie that's been widely trashed by both reviewers and fans.
One thing I hate about some trailers is that they give away too much of the movie.
I figure out alot from many trailers.

SingaBoiy
04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
is sin city that thing on bravo or men and mottors. or summit. where that guy walks around the city walking into strip clubs and fetish houses. and talks about it?
I think you are thinking of the one on Comedy Central. Insomniac.

100%
04-04-2005, 10:57 AM
New York Times

By MANOHLA DARGIS
Published: April 1, 2005
"Sin City" has been made with such scrupulous care and obvious love for its genre influences that it's a shame the movie is kind of a bore.