PDA

View Full Version : Power Up Problems

JMK
04-01-2005, 09:21 PM
I am trying to build my a computer for my first time, but of course i have a problem. I have everything hooked up but everytime i hit the power button on the front nothing happens, but my power supply has a switch on the back and when I switch it to on the motherboard's light turns green as if it has power. Although once I try front the front and hit the power button to turn on nothing seems to happen?!? Not even the fans turn on. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is some of my hardware
------------------
MOBO: LGA775 INTEL 915P D915PCYL
Processor: P4/3.2 GHz 800M LGA775 540J
Ram: DDRAM2 512MB ADATA ADJKD1908

Snee
04-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Could you give us a little more detail, like what kind of PSU you have (including wattage) and what kind of graphics card you have?

Just to see whether you've got more stuff than your psu can cope with.

And also, go through all the connections and make sure you haven't forgotten anything, like a molex on the graphics card or so.

JMK
04-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi,

PSU: 500watt
Graphics Card: BFG GeForce 6600 GT OC 128MB GDDR3 PCI-e

Im going through all the connections right now too, so far no problems...hmm

Snee
04-01-2005, 09:56 PM
'k, are you sure you've connected the graphics card?

It doesn't necessarily need a direct connection, but some do.

Also, try resetting your CMOS-chip, sometimes you need to do that even tho' you've only just put it together.

Make sure there's no power to your mobo when you do that.

JMK
04-01-2005, 10:00 PM
I took the video card off of the motherboard and still nothing works..

and how would i reset the CMOS-chip? (sorry first time doing this)

Snee
04-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Errm, I did not suggest that you take out the gfx card, it certainly won't work very good without it. :lol:

I was just saying that sometimes you can connect a cable directly from the PSU to the GFX card, and that maybe you'd missed it. I think that's the case with some 6600s and the pcx versions don't come with regular molexes either, so it may be easy to miss, I dunno', a lot of people seem to be able to do just that at any rate.

It's supposed to be able to boot without it, but it couldn't hurt connecting it if there is one.

As for resetting CMOS, there should be a jumper for it somewhere on your mobo.

Have a look in your manual.

JMK
04-01-2005, 10:17 PM
I didnt think it would make a difference or not if i had a vid card in there because i just want it to be able to boot up first.. i tried to reset the CMOS and yet nothing happened.. any other ideas?

clocker
04-01-2005, 10:19 PM
You have the connections from the front switchpanel hooked up wrong.

Snee
04-01-2005, 10:21 PM
You have the connections from the front switchpanel hooked up wrong.
Inside information? :ohmy:

Pretty good idea tho'.

tesco
04-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Inside information? :ohmy:
If a green light ocmes on just by turning on the power supply's power (and not teh computer) then atleast that is hooked up wrong, and probably other sstuff as well. :unsure:

Snee
04-01-2005, 10:29 PM
If a green light ocmes on just by turning on the power supply's power (and not teh computer) then atleast that is hooked up wrong, and probably other sstuff as well. :unsure:
D'oh :pinch:

Never happened to me. I gotta' start botching up more.

I did have a 'puter, hooked up right and all, that revved up the fans and blinked with the d-led every time you plugged it in (got an external switch) before shutting down until I pushed the power switch, some old msi mobo i think it was. :unsure:

Erm, to my knowledge it just means that the mobo is getting power btw.

JMK
04-01-2005, 10:56 PM
i have no idea what to do here.. i'm pretty sure ive set up the front panel connectors correctly

I dunno how i could of set up the power wrong...either but if i turn on the ps and the green light comes on then... that is bad? i thought it ment that there was power running to the motherboard then and that is good?

lynx
04-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Unplug just about everything from your mobo, including graphics card, keyboard.

Only things left should be the CPU, memory, power connector, the front "power on" connector and the internal speaker (or the jumper for the mobo buzzer if fitted).

Now connect the main power, switch on (which should give you that green light) then press the "on" button. After a few seconds you should get a series of beeps from the internal speaker. If that doesn't happen you've either connected things wrongly even at this basic level, otherwise you probably have a faulty motherboard.

Assuming you get the beeps, you can begin reconnecting things, starting with the graphics card (and connect the monitor), then the keyboard. At this point the beeps should stop, and you should be able to get into the bios setup.

Formula1
04-02-2005, 01:38 AM
I came across a problem similar to this , the pc would start then shut down after a second. Later, figured out that two of the pins were bent on the processor. So you may wanna check your processor (cpu) or make sure your heatsink is hooked correctly. goodluck

JMK
04-03-2005, 07:24 PM
yay!!!! i got it to work.. forgot to install the risers so it was shorting out thank you everyone for you help

TheDave
04-03-2005, 08:06 PM
:lol: you're lucky anything survived

Virtualbody1234
04-03-2005, 09:30 PM
yay!!!! i got it to work.. forgot to install the risers so it was shorting out thank you everyone for you help
Ouch! I've seen someone start a fire like that.

JMK
04-03-2005, 10:49 PM
hmm.. guess i made a big booboo

tesco
04-04-2005, 12:36 AM
:ohmy:

When i did that my first time building a comp it fried the sound and some other stuff. but the store i boguht it from was nice and they gave me a free new motherboard. :)

clocker
04-04-2005, 02:59 PM
WTF are "risers"?

Virtualbody1234
04-04-2005, 03:24 PM
WTF are "risers"?
I think he's talking about these:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cases/nzxt/guardian/standoff_small.jpg

I call them standoffs.

RPerry
04-04-2005, 03:41 PM

I lost my old 900mhz board like that ( wasn't me, I was at work )

clocker
04-04-2005, 03:47 PM
I think he's talking about these:

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/cases/nzxt/guardian/standoff_small.jpg

I call them standoffs.
Oh.
How the hell do you "forget" the standoffs?
Nevermind, I guess you just do.

Tsk,tsk. :shutup:

lynx
04-04-2005, 04:50 PM
I've seen it done before.

With things like that I'd be asking myself "what are these for" long before I got to the point of switching things on.

Mind you, I've even seen someone manage to put a memory dimm in the way round, in spite of the key slot. :blink: Now that really DOES get things hot. :ohmy:

clocker
04-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Mind you, I've even seen someone manage to put a memory dimm in the way round, in spite of the key slot. :blink: Now that really DOES get things hot. :ohmy:
Oh yeah.
If nothing else, the ole credit card will be blazing....