PDA

View Full Version : Got New Project (band)....

Afronaut
04-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Started a new project yesterday, a "cover-band" that plays 60's-to-80's "hits".
We used 2 hours in kazaa to dl songs and argue what should we play. :lol:
Here's a list this far...:

1. Day tripper - Jim H.
2. Fire - Jim H.
3. Little Wing - Jim H.
4. Manic Depression - Jim H.
5. Black Dog. - Led Z.
6. Rock'n'roll Led Z.
7. Sunshine of Your Love - Cream
8. Feel your love tonight - Van Halen
9. Ice cream man - Van Halen

Do you by any chance know some other songs that should be added on the playlist?
There's only 3 guys (drums,bass,guitar) in the band, that means that songs with keyboards will most
likely not "work", too much would be "missing". Also, any big and slow numbers wont count,
example: Stairway to heaven, Hotel california, Pink floyd and most of other "slow" ones... :P
We're gonna keep it on rock n roll songs, its not suppose to be "art" :lol:
Our plan is to get around 20 - 30 songs, hit the local pubs
and have some FUN! (not gonna make a career of playing covers :P )
So, if you would see a band in small pub doing these kinda songs, what other songs
they should play? :)
Any suggestions would be good. ;)

Kippis:
-GS-

Rocktron
04-06-2003, 04:21 PM
How about:

Damage Inc. - Metallica
Parisienne Walkways - Gary Moore
In the dead of Night - U.K.

to name a few.. :lol:

Luca_Snipes
04-06-2003, 05:04 PM
AC/DC - Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
Queensryche - Resistance
Alice Cooper - I'm Flash

I'm sure I'll think of some others later

summerlinda
04-06-2003, 06:29 PM
The ace of spades :wub:

ezyryder
04-06-2003, 07:30 PM
Something like a new intresting version of Hoochie Coochie Man or Red House perhaps. Maybe another version of Layla. As for Van Halen, I quite like "hot for teacher". Chuck Berry's "Johny Be goode" is always a much appreciated song to cover by people in a crowd (mainly because of back to the future). Smoke on the water.

and just a few others I think are good to cover (the ones you lister previously are great, especially the hendrix ones!)

Black Magic Woman - Fleetwood Mac
Welcome to the Jungle or Sweet Child of Mine -- guns n roses
Stuck In The Middle With You (download the Jeff Healey Band's version!)
Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd
other possible Led Zeppelin's for your list:
Whole Lotta Love
Communication Break Down
Dazed and Confused
Kasmir

this is cheesy, but always goes down well as a cover band:
Thin Lizzy- Boys are back in town

a few other hendrix's perhaps could be (altho what selected is great)
Purple Haze
Red House
Castles Made Of Sand
Bold As Love
(now some lesser known, but really good gig-material)
Astro Man
EzyRyder (hmm, where have I heard that before?)
Voodoo Child (slight return)
All Along The Watchtower (you would have to customize this quite a bit and it does pose some difficulty)

ok thats all the classic rock covered, I could have named more but I wasn't sure.

more metal now

AC/DC - Back In Black
Metallica - Creeping Death/Enter Sandman/Hit The Lights/And Justice For All
Pantera - Cowboys From Hell/I'm Broken/This Love
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills
Black Sabbath - Paranoid/Iron Man
Slayer - Seasons In the Abyss
Judas Preist - Breaking The Law (that would be not bad actually)

I could name millions of extras, but I just thought I'd name a few what I would think be good cover songs that are easy enough to tailor to your prefferences and which would definatley keep the crowd intrested. Some may be a bit too heavy for your band, I tried to keep away from anything extreme. Naturally, you can't do all of these but I hope it was useful insight into possible ones for you.

Luca_Snipes
04-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by ezyryder@6 April 2003 - 15:30

AC/DC - Black In Black (altho technically 90's I think)

back in black was 1980 B)

edit: typo

ezyryder
04-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Yeh, true :"> :-". My mind wondered off when thinking about metallica and then the black section of it made me think of the release of the black album. Also, noted, I see my typo so shall change that above. haha, I'm full of mistakes.

Benno
04-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Iron Maiden - Afraid to shoot strangers. B)

Afronaut
04-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Im looking for these songs you ppl posted (kazaa-soulseek) as i write this. :lol:
We gonna practise today in few hours, gotta talk
with the boys what they think of these. :)
Ace of spades is a sure winner i think... :P
Pantera might sound too thin from our band im afraid, as
most other heavier stuff, Iron maiden, Metallica and those
probably would need a second guitarist wich we dont have, aint too many players around here. :(
Hot for teacher we gonna give it a try but our drummer is not "confortable" with double bassdrums so, like Parisienne walkways, it could be a bit "thin" version from us, wont do the justice for the song. I've played G.Moores songs before and ppl loves them but, with only 3 instruments, it wont work.
Y.Malmsteen has a good version of In the dead of night (if it is the U.K. song) but like some other songs that has "odd time signatures" (7/8 or 5/4) we might need to skip :( , too bad cos i loove to play wicked songs and see ppl trying to dance when they are drunk! :lol: Of course, any song is just matter of practising, but some songs would require several years to get it working! :lol: and i dont think we have that much time, we're hoping to hit the road in this summer.
Anyways, super-thanks for the input, i will be keeping my eye on this thread...
Kippis:
-GS-

Ad
04-08-2003, 04:39 AM
YOU SHOOK ME ALNIGHT LONG ac/dc
November rain Guns N Roses
Jump van halen
Iron Maiden number of the beast
God dam devil Ugly Kid Joe
I was made for loving You kiss

Rocktron
04-11-2003, 04:28 PM
You could have told us before GS that your band contains only 3 players... we would have thought about other songs! ;)

btw i have seen Dream Theater play Damage Inc. - Metallica live with 3 band members only (and the singer from greatful death!) sounded bloody amazing! But hey, i know... it's a very hard song to play because i played it myself.
Same go's for In the Dead of Night from U.K. and not really music to dance to (unless you are drunk! :D )

I will try to think of some other songs if you like...

See ya!

Jibbler
04-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@6 April 2003 - 11:14
So, if you would see a band in small pub doing these kinda songs, what other songs
they should play? :)
Any suggestions would be good. ;)
Most "cover bands" stick to only one performer. Then they get billed as a "tribute" band, and fans of that band will come to see you. They have a place where people can listen to lots of random songs, all hits, its called the radio. ;)