PDA

View Full Version : I have Windows XP home and want to install Pro

showstopper496
04-03-2005, 01:08 AM
I have the Pro CD. Can someone please explain how to install it. I dont want home, just Pro. But i want to keep some files that are still in Xp Home. How to do it?

Peerzy
04-03-2005, 01:12 AM
There is no real advantages to pro over home, esp not if your gonna have to format/reinstall.

showstopper496
04-03-2005, 01:13 AM
Thats because my dad has some programs that only work on pro

Chewie
04-03-2005, 01:16 AM
boot the xp cd
hit enter
hit f8
hit r

Peerzy
04-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Any program that works on Pro will work on Home, its the same OS.

tesco
04-03-2005, 01:17 AM
Like what? :blink: I've never heard of that before, since both OS are the same except for networking, security and multilanguage options. ;)

Anyway i think you'll need to format to install pro. Home to Pro isn't an upgrade option. :(
edit: actually chewie's advice will probably work, repair install. :)

showstopper496
04-03-2005, 01:20 AM
it has something to do with work. He works at this software company

Peerzy
04-03-2005, 01:23 AM
it has something to do with work. He works at this software company

It would be impossible to make a program that works on Pro but not on Home, or near enough impossible. The only way you could do it is if you spent ages writing code for that exact purpose but no body would do that.

showstopper496
04-03-2005, 01:24 AM
I am not sure, my dad just told me he needs to install pro. I dont know this techical stuff, i will ask him if it is totally necarry

Peerzy
04-03-2005, 01:25 AM
I cannot see any reason why anyone in the world needs pro unless your copy isn't legal as pro (corp) doesn't require activation.

peat moss
04-03-2005, 01:34 AM
I think chewie had it ! :) Repair install or upgrade if using xp pro.

tesco
04-03-2005, 04:45 AM
It would be impossible to make a program that works on Pro but not on Home, or near enough impossible. The only way you could do it is if you spent ages writing code for that exact purpose but no body would do that.
Not at all true. A software company could esaily amke their software work on only a certain windows version by adding start conditions to their installers as well as to the actual program i suppose.
I'm just not sure why they would do that, but don't say it's not possible. :P

tnt-mechanics
04-03-2005, 09:33 AM
RTJ: No links to warez sites. Read the Rules (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=898420).

Chewie
04-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Hehehe.
No programs that work on Pro but not Home?
Hmmm...

What about one that requires logging on to a domain?

tesco
04-03-2005, 03:09 PM
Hehehe.
No programs that work on Pro but not Home?
Hmmm...

What about one that requires logging on to a domain?
You would never need that on a home computer.

Chewie
04-03-2005, 05:06 PM
You would never need that on a home computer.
I will soon as I'll be on 24hr call-out. I'll have a laptop and need to log on to the domain at work in order to access Kerridge and ascertain whether it's worth driving the 5 miles to work to supply our DAF-Aid fitters with emergency parts.

Peerzy
04-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Well not impossible no, but i doubt it would ever happen because people would have to write code that makes it tell Home uses to fuck off, and most legit users are home users (most small businesses use home as well i think, at least my parents does) so thats a massive chunck of the market gone, meaning less sales, meaning product gets butt-fucked.

I will soon as I'll be on 24hr call-out. I'll have a laptop and need to log on to the domain at work in order to access Kerridge and ascertain whether it's worth driving the 5 miles to work to supply our DAF-Aid fitters with emergency parts.

That sounds like your work for a company or own your own company meaning you should really be using Pro, but we should all also be paying for our Windows :P

baccyman
04-03-2005, 06:39 PM
pay for windows. i thought this was a forum for file sharing.

Izagaia
04-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Like what? :blink: I've never heard of that before, since both OS are the same except for networking, security and multilanguage options. ;)

Anyway i think you'll need to format to install pro. Home to Pro isn't an upgrade option. :(
edit: actually chewie's advice will probably work, repair install. :)

Actually, upgrading from Home to Pro is perhaps the safest of all your upgrading options, IMO. Since they are esstentially the same, there is really nothing going on other than installing those componets that XP Home does not come with. I used to do it on a previous system that had an OEM installation of Home within. At the time, I wanted to keep all of my OEM drivers and third-party softwares. I upgraded directly over it to XP Corp. No conflicts what-so-ever. Choosing the "upgrade" option this time around should not hurt a thing. :)