PDA

View Full Version : No Audio Codecs Recognised In Windows 98se

scottchicken
04-06-2003, 04:30 PM
Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem similar to the "disappearing codecs in Windows XP" one, but with Windows 98SE.

Over the last two weeks I have searched this and a few other forums, and googled, with no answer.

Symptoms:

Basically VirtualDub and it's variants (-Mod; -mp3freeze; etc) do not recognise any audio codecs as being present, even though they are.

The only item listed in the Audio->Compression option is <No compression (PCM)>. "Show all formats" is ticked. Video codecs ARE listed, however I cannot confirm whether ALL video codecs are listed. When running the AVIcodec (http://avicodec.duby.info/) program it crashes when selecting the "Codecs and filters" option.

I know that I have all the video and audio codecs that should be listed installed, as BSplayer plays correctly all divx, xvid, asf, wmv (etc&#33;) encoded files, with no problems with video or audio.

The contents the following registry keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows NT&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;drivers.desc
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows NT&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;drivers32

only contain references to the divx and huffyuv codecs, with no empty entries (I&#39;m not sure if this is relevant information, have included it as it was related to the Windows XP problem).

Cause:

In an attempt to get all file types to play correctly I un-installed all various codec packs and individual codecs that have accumlated over the years and installed just the Kazaa-Lite Codec Pack. This worked, but introduced the VirtualDub problem - so I can play files, but not encode audio anymore.

Attempts to correct (including un-installing K-Lite pack and using Nimo, then just trying individual codecs one by one without the assistance of any "codec packs", and various combinations thereof) have failed - the damage, whatever it is, is done.

Solution: (insert here)

If anyone has experienced this, or has a solution, or just a pointer or suggestion, I&#39;d really appreciate it&#33;

Cheers&#33;

VB
04-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Those registry keys are for NT based Windows versions only (NT/2000/XP).

In Windows 98 they are stored in "win.ini".

Make sure you install the latest version of the K-Lite Codec pack. (2.0.1)

scottchicken
04-18-2003, 03:57 AM
I can find no references to audio codes in win.ini.

I have installed the latest codec pack 2.02f.

I think the only option is a re-install of Windows, or a re-format and re-install.

VB
04-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Sorry I ment the system.ini file.

In the section Drivers32 there should be a couple of entries that start with vidc (movie codec) or msacm (audio).