PDA

View Full Version : movie downloads

colonblow87
04-03-2005, 06:59 PM
When looking for movies to download from IRC I tend to look for files that are titled dvdrips or svcd, and larger than 1.6 gb for a single movie. These are usually compressed tar files or teg. If the files are marked CD1 and CD2, I still look for a total file size of 1.6 gigs. That way I usually end up with good quality SVCDs. I stay away from the smaller files marked as screeners because they tend to be poor quality when burned to CD. Also, any file marked as an .avi is only playable on the PC and the conversion to a file that can be burned to a CD or DVD is too time consuming and usually ends up being crap. Any other thoughts on this subject???

colonblow87
04-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Being a relative newb I didn't notice the excellent guide put together by IKE that explains Sources, Formats and scene tags. This sheds some light on my pursuit of knowledge pertaining to movie downloading. Thanks IKE!

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=59344

Rip The Jacker
04-04-2005, 12:18 AM
You can actually check the quality of releases at www.vcdquality.com before you download them. You can see screenshots from group releases, and then download that specific release from mIRC, knowing what the quality looks like.

milhousse
04-08-2005, 04:29 PM
i agree. vcdquality is a great site, but some people will notice that some torrents (movies) arent listed there. (due to re-encodes). so dont kill yourself looking for it if you cant find it there.
its always updated quickly, and the forums are mod'd pretty good

joe113
04-15-2005, 06:36 AM
Also, any file marked as an .avi is only playable on the PC and the conversion to a file that can be burned to a CD or DVD is too time consuming and usually ends up being crap. Any other thoughts on this subject???

I use a program called winavi to convert avi files to dvd. I usually go for movies that are split into two files, 700 MB each. It takes around a half an hour to convert the movie (time consuming?), and the quality of the output files are identical to the quality of the avi files.

RealitY
04-15-2005, 07:04 AM
I use my Phillips to watch avi files in data format.
I have two of them now at $69 each, what a deal...
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_17/dvp642_17_rtf_.jpg
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=US&tmplt=CE_EU&slg=ENG&SearchTxt=DVP642&ctn=DVP642/17

Harsh!
04-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Nice one "Reality".....

I usually use, as said above..."WinAVI" though I have had trouble with it before

mlmm
04-15-2005, 02:26 PM
is there any way to convert PAL movies to NTSC?

thedazman
04-15-2005, 03:06 PM
yeah, i have a dvd player like reality, theyre GREAT!!

Those dvd players are becoming more popular by the day and more are being made by different manufacturers.

The best thing is, you can buy one at the same price as one without the capability to play avis.

Well worth it to buy one.

www.ebuyer.com thats where i bought mine.

just search for divx playback dvd players :D

Never convert again!

Tago Mago
04-15-2005, 03:09 PM
I'd really like one of those, when the funds allow.