PDA

View Full Version : Rounded IDE cables?

Mr. Mulder
04-05-2005, 07:43 PM
Anyone here use them? The boss got a load in at college today but I didn't get much of a chance to play with them :crying: From what I did see they didn't look very flexible, are they just as good as the standard? Can they be used in any system? It's the less mess look which makes them look appealing :unsure:

Linkage (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_IDE_Cables_151.html) :01:

tesco
04-05-2005, 08:03 PM
i use them
no they're not at all flexible, very bulky.
i'll never waste money on them again. ;)

DarthInsinuate
04-05-2005, 08:45 PM
yep, very inflexable. I'm not sure, but i would imaine they're just normal IDE cables twisted around and around then wrapped up in.

They do look nice, but i think you can make flat cables look nice if you put in the effort of arranging them.

fkdup74
04-05-2005, 08:50 PM
i use them
no they're not at all flexible, very bulky.
i'll never waste money on them again. ;)
blah, you got a bad batch :P
i will never use flat IDE cables again
i got a set of coolermasters that work nice,
and are flexible enough to do a master/slave connection with HDDs right on top of each other :unsure:

Can they be used in any system? It's the less mess look which makes them look appealing
just make sure the cables meet the requirements
for the harware you are connecting them to

and not only do they look a little neater,
they improve air flow in the case by quite a bit :)

tesco
04-05-2005, 09:27 PM
blah, you got a bad batch :P
i will never use flat IDE cables again
i got a set of coolermasters that work nice,
and are flexible enough to do a master/slave connection with HDDs right on top of each other :unsure:
so are mine. i have two cd drives on top of eachother, but it's the same distance apart for the ide connections. :P

But i think i could have hid it better if i just used the flat ones instead, as they can be folded and pushed into tight spaces. ;)

fkdup74
04-05-2005, 09:35 PM
so are mine. i have two cd drives on top of eachother, but it's the same distance apart for the ide connections. :P

But i think i could have hid it better if i just used the flat ones instead, as they can be folded and pushed into tight spaces. ;)

again i say......blah :P
the only round cable i got that wasnt worth a sqaut,
was my floppy cable (some off-brand garbage)
(yes i still use a floppy drive, so it was necessary, so hush) :P
it has a fairly thick rubber sleeve that really fks up any flexibility

sparsely
04-05-2005, 09:39 PM
I think the idea of round cables are great, but most of the material they use is rather inflexible, from what I've seen.
My Asus motherboard came with rounded IDE's, and i use them fine, but you could actually make your own.

Just use a razor blade to seperate groups of 4 wires or so on a regular IDE ribbon cable, then go to the hardware store and get some flexible tubing to wrap it in.
You'll have to be careful, but I'm sure most of us have an extra dozen or so IDE cables lying around :P

tesco
04-05-2005, 09:43 PM
I think the idea of round cables are great, but most of the material they use is rather inflexible, from what I've seen.
My Asus motherboard came with rounded IDE's, and i use them fine, but you could actually make your own.

Just use a razor blade to seperate groups of 4 wires or so on a regular IDE ribbon cable, then go to the hardware store and get some flexible tubing to wrap it in.
You'll have to be careful, but I'm sure most of us have an extra dozen or so IDE cables lying around :P
i tried that once. didnt have the patience for it.
spent a long time on it, then got near the end and f'ed up and cut a bunch of wires in half. :rolleyes: :lol:

anyway, doesnt matter anymore, all my future stuffs is gonnna be sata. :01:

Mr. Mulder
04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Very mixed reviews but they still sound tempting :unsure: a floppy cable won’t be needed as it’s the year 2005 :P Think I’ll order a couple and see how it goes :unsure: Making them is not an option as it could only turn out to be horribly wrong :ermm:

fkdup74
04-06-2005, 04:19 AM
if you do, i recommend these:
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=UTC-A24&other_title=+UTC-A24+Cable
just MHO :P
even if you dont try the coolermasters,
at least try to stay away from the rubber sleeved ones

bigdawgfoxx
04-06-2005, 12:52 PM
yeah i have rubber there not flexible at all really...but not bad

GepperRankins
04-06-2005, 12:56 PM
you could use tie wraps. they wont look half as nice but you'll keep the flexibility and have improved airflow

:gypsysolutions: