PDA

View Full Version : Damn Am I Late!!!

Busyman
04-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm just finding out that Vanilla Sky is a remake. :ohmy:

Both versions had Penelope Cruz playing the same character ffs. :ermm:

leeferdude
04-07-2005, 11:49 PM
I have yet to see Vanilla Sky...or the remake...

Adster
04-08-2005, 12:12 AM
I walked out of the theaters halfway through the movie.....along with 3 quaters of the rest of the people

cpt_azad
04-08-2005, 08:21 AM
I walked out of the theaters halfway through the movie.....along with 3 quaters of the rest of the people

so u actually paid for it :blink: ?

SingaBoiy
04-08-2005, 08:24 AM
for ffs
Surely you mean ffs or for fs. :P

I havent seen either of them. Heard something about a remake but didnt pay any attention to it.

colt45joe
04-08-2005, 08:43 AM

i dont get how people can do that. if the movie looks interesting i go watch it, and if it doesnt i dont, and while im watching the movie its not that good, i dont just leave, cause...i dunno, just seems stupid.

did you at least maybe sneak into another theater and watch some other movie?

ziggyjuarez
04-08-2005, 10:51 AM
are you serious?I love'd this movie.Maybe my top 10 fav movies.At the end i almost cry'd :crying:

MCHeshPants420
04-09-2005, 02:41 AM
Whilst I have a lot of respect for the original content that Hollywood does produce I wish they'd stop remaking already excellent movies. Learn to read the subtitles...

Ringu
Oldboy
Abre los ojos
Der Himmel über Berlin
Fever Pitch (!?)

Like the film is never as good as the book, the remake is never as good as the original.

Busyman
04-09-2005, 05:02 AM
Whilst I have a lot of respect for the original content that Hollywood does produce I wish they'd stop remaking already excellent movies. Learn to read the subtitles...

Ringu
Oldboy
Abre los ojos
Der Himmel über Berlin
Fever Pitch (!?)

Like the film is never as good as the book, the remake is never as good as the original.
That's an old cliche that ain't always true. Usually when people say this they are shooting shit (or haven't seen the original and/or the remake). :dry:

Ringu was not as good as The Ring
Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes) was not as good as Vanilla Sky. (however they both sucked)
Oldboy (I didn't even know of a remake)
Der HimmelWhateverthefuck (neva hoid uv it)
Fever Pitch (never saw either and probably wouldn't care for either, is that a Drew Barrymore movie?)

MCHeshPants420
04-09-2005, 04:36 PM
That's an old cliche that ain't always true. Usually when people say this they are shooting shit (or haven't seen the original and/or the remake). :dry:

Ringu was not as good as The Ring
Abre los ojos (Open Your Eyes) was not as good as Vanilla Sky. (however they both sucked)
Oldboy (I didn't even know of a remake)
Der HimmelWhateverthefuck (neva hoid uv it)
Fever Pitch (never saw either and probably wouldn't care for either, is that a Drew Barrymore movie?)

Aside from the remake of Oldboy* (which isn't out until next year) I have seen all the films listed and their remakes. So what is your point?

You, on the other hand, haven't even heard of some of the films on my list so it's you that is "shooting shit". I can form on an opinion based on, wait for it, the fact that I've seen them...

I have yet, in my experience, to see a remake of a foreign film by Hollywood that is in any way superior to the source material. Glossier maybe but not better.

*Don't get me wrong though I would love for the remake of this great film to be the wasp's tits. I really would.

Snee
04-09-2005, 04:46 PM
I like vanilla sky, and the original film.

And yeah, you are late.

Oh yeah and ringu pwns the ring so much it's unbelievable.
The Ring is just a pale imitation of the original for people who can't deal with subtitles.

Busyman
04-09-2005, 09:04 PM
And yeah, you are late.
...and so is almost everyone else in this thread it seems. :dry:

You like Vanilla Sky while many people thought it to be total shit.

I like The Ring while most (at least on the forum) seem to like the original better.

To each his own.

Sometimes it boils down to what's seen first. This even occurs in books to movies.

I remember in The Ring, for instance, something simple like the first girl being shown in the closet looking fucking scary but Ringu just showed her falling out of a car. Not scary at all.

Busyman
04-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Aside from the remake of Oldboy* (which isn't out until next year) I have seen all the films listed and their remakes. So what is your point?

You, on the other hand, haven't even heard of some of the films on my list so it's you that is "shooting shit". I can form on an opinion based on, wait for it, the fact that I've seen them...

I have yet, in my experience, to see a remake of a foreign film by Hollywood that is in any way superior to the source material. Glossier maybe but not better.

*Don't get me wrong though I would love for the remake of this great film to be the wasp's tits. I really would.
I say shooting the shit for reasons like....one of the movies ain't even out yet but comment was made as to it being shit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Subtitles movies take away from the overall experience also.

I can't as good of a visual representation of a movie if I'm reading it. :dry:

btw Hollywood has remade Dark Water..... :(

Snee
04-09-2005, 10:04 PM
I remember in The Ring, for instance, something simple like the first girl being shown in the closet looking fucking scary but Ringu just showed her falling out of a car. Not scary at all.
I don't know exactly what put me off about The Ring, but it didn't feel half as intense as the original.

It wasn't bad, really, but it just didn't compare to the original.
I think they made the kid less scary by showing her face and that for one thing.

And it felt so Hollywood, you know?

As for Vanilla Sky, neither version was a mainstream type of flick tho' the casting might make you believe differently, so it's understandable that most people didn't like it.

I'm not keen on the way they cast spanish movies most of the time, but the original is still also a good film. And there was nothing quite like it at the time it was made.

MCHeshPants420
04-09-2005, 11:00 PM
I say shooting the shit for reasons like....one of the movies ain't even out yet but comment was made as to it being shit. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unless they pull a miracle out of their collective arses I doubt they'll be able to touch the original. I will come back and eat a fair dose of humble pie if they do though.

Subtitles movies take away from the overall experience also.

I can't as good of a visual representation of a movie if I'm reading it.

To me the subtitled version is superior (unless I go out and learn Japanese or whatever...), once you've watched a few subtitled movies it doesn't even become an issue:

Subtitled version > Dubbed version > Inferior remake.

parknabd
04-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Remakes suck. Automatically they are inferior to the originals since they are derivative. The only way for them to improve on the originals is to be different films completely.

puscifer
04-10-2005, 09:09 AM
The best thing about remakes nowdays (esp. japanese ones) is the chance for the directors to improve on their work and get it to a wider audience, i guess. Like in both 2 Ju-On's (The Grudge) the feel it was a bit lost in the remake. I guess it was a choice from the director and i'd appreciate a Grudge 2, since the 2nd Ju-On delved more into the story, but it seems it's not going to me made unfortunatly. It's a shame, they had a format now it gets lost. I just hope Oldboy is redone well, it's the most awesome flic, much better than the likes of Ichi the Killer for instance.

Adster
04-11-2005, 03:05 AM
id probably say remakes all suck

but I agree with bussyman subtitles are a put off..

i can't concentrate for 2 hrs Reading subtitles and trying to watch the film

remakes suck

texas chainsaw massacre remade what 3 times???
Psycho ohh lets use the exact same script with pathetic acters and COLOUR for the young kids who don't want to watch black and white

Get carter come on syvester Stallone what shit :dry: <------bussyman smiley fill in.

Italian Job
lets see whats out this weekend anavailie horror however you spell it
Alfie terrible remake!!
planet of the apes ---shit!!

different is the remakes are either about making a horror film have more gore or making something like planet of the apes special effects rather then having characters that have a personality

Busyman
04-11-2005, 04:28 AM
Unless they pull a miracle out of their collective arses I doubt they'll be able to touch the original. I will come back and eat a fair dose of humble pie if they do though.

To me the subtitled version is superior (unless I go out and learn Japanese or whatever...), once you've watched a few subtitled movies it doesn't even become an issue:

Subtitled version > Dubbed version > Inferior remake.
I just found out that Fever Pitch and Oldboy both came out Friday!!! :lol:

Oldboy got good reviews while Fever Pitch didn't.

Busyman
04-11-2005, 04:32 AM
id probably say remakes all suck

but I agree with bussyman subtitles are a put off..

i can't concentrate for 2 hrs Reading subtitles and trying to watch the film

remakes suck

texas chainsaw massacre remade what 3 times???
Psycho ohh lets use the exact same script with pathetic acters and COLOUR for the young kids who don't want to watch black and white

Get carter come on syvester Stallone what shit :dry: <------bussyman smiley fill in.

Italian Job
lets see whats out this weekend anavailie horror however you spell it
Alfie terrible remake!!
planet of the apes ---shit!!

different is the remakes are either about making a horror film have more gore or making something like planet of the apes special effects rather then having characters that have a personality
Well for most part I guess With was right.

However, as I said, usually everyone saw the original first.
It's like reading a book then seeing the movie.
The concept that the reader had in their mind will be off.

I don't read fiction often but the same happens with comic book to movie translations. The good thing is they have been getting better as of late.

scribblec
04-14-2005, 10:37 PM

ahahhahaha u got owned busyman

hows chris...

Tago Mago
04-14-2005, 10:56 PM
All of those remakes were pretty pointless, although The Ring was watchable enough. I really can't see how a remake of Old Boy is going to work. Hollywood is at least operating an equal opportunities policy by producing godawful remakes of American oldies: Stepford Wives, Bilko, Assault on Precinct 13 etc.

MCHeshPants420
04-15-2005, 01:10 AM
I just found out that Fever Pitch and Oldboy both came out Friday!!! :lol:

Oldboy got good reviews while Fever Pitch didn't.

I don't think Oldboy has come out yet (at least the planned remake).

As an aside to my point, Kung-Fu Hustle has been released in USA recently and is doing alright for itself on a limited release. Not the greatest film imo, but still nice to see a subtitled film do well.

UseYourBrain
04-15-2005, 03:32 AM

As an aside to my point, Kung-Fu Hustle has been released in USA recently and is doing alright for itself on a limited release. Not the greatest film imo, but still nice to see a subtitled film do well.
It was the old Oldboy.

Kung Fu hustle was very good.

UseYourBrain
04-15-2005, 03:37 AM

Actually based on the fact that you haven't seen 2 out of the four you mentioned, you are "shooting shit" regarding those particular films but based on your other movie viewing experiences your opinions are of course, well..yours and correct for you.

MCHeshPants420
04-15-2005, 11:55 AM
Actually based on the fact that you haven't seen 2 out of the four you mentioned, you are "shooting shit" regarding those particular films but based on your other movie viewing experiences your opinions are of course, well..yours and correct for you.

Actually I make it one out of those ten films that I haven't seen...(original+remake times 5).

And if you think I'm "shooting shit" well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. ;)

Tago Mago
04-15-2005, 12:02 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing Kung Fu Hustle when it comes out over here. I really liked Shaolin Soccer.

MCHeshPants420
04-15-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Kung Fu Hustle when it comes out over here. I really liked Shaolin Soccer.

I'd say you'll defiently enjoy it if you liked Shaolin Soccer, same weird humour and same crazy cgi effects. Watch out for the Shaolin Soccer reference right at the beggining. :D

Tago Mago
04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
I'd say you'll defiently enjoy it if you liked Shaolin Soccer, same weird humour and same crazy cgi effects. Watch out for the Shaolin Soccer reference right at the beggining. :D
Not due in Uk cinemas until June 10 I've just noticed. But then, that's what bittorrents for, I guess...

MCHeshPants420
04-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Not due in Uk cinemas until June 10 I've just noticed. But then, that's what bittorrents for, I guess...

:blushing:

Busyman
12-31-2005, 06:50 PM
I saw Exorcist The Beginning recently and it sucked ass. My friend has the straight to video sequel, hmmmmm.

However, I am watching Troy right now and this movie is good as shit!

I like it much better than, as Cheese would say, the LOTR snorefests.

Probably one of my top 10..so far. I'm at the part when Brad Pit is about to fight Hector outside the walls.

Guyver
12-31-2005, 07:24 PM
troy blew.

Busyman
12-31-2005, 08:06 PM
troy blew.
Why do you say that?

The movie didn't have one dull moment compared LOTR which was just snorable.

Ahhh but LOTR had magic.:dry:

Guyver
12-31-2005, 08:28 PM
troy blew.
Why do you say that?

I never Beleived "brad Pit" as a worrior...

Busyman
12-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Why do you say that?

I never Beleived "brad Pit" as a worrior...
Oh ok.:huh: I think he did pretty good.

That fight with Hector was nice.

Guyver
12-31-2005, 08:45 PM
i tried to watch it, but i fell asleep....

just like in last samurai, tom cruise wtf, yeh sure lol

Busyman
12-31-2005, 08:52 PM
i tried to watch it, but i fell asleep....

just like in last samurai, tom cruise wtf, yeh sure lol
Tbh The Last Samurai wasn't as action packed.

Tom Cruise seemed outta place not because it was Tom Cruise as a warrior but he was the only white man in the midst of all those Japanese.

Troy was Greeks against Spartans.

So you never saw all of the movie. Gotcha.
I don't get caught up into the hype over a particular actor being in the movie. I just watch the movie and let it go from there.

3RA1N1AC
12-31-2005, 11:02 PM
I saw Exorcist The Beginning recently and it sucked ass. My friend has the straight to video sequel, hmmmmm.
of course it sucked ass, it was directed by renny harlin. the other one was not straight to video though. what happened was, the producers originally hired paul schrader (writer of taxi driver & last temptation of christ, director of american gigolo & hard core, etc) to direct it, then they weren't happy with the film he gave them 'cause "where's all the gore and tits?" so they were like "let's put schrader's movie on the shelf and hire the guy who did die hard 2 & cut-throat island (renny harlin) to re-shoot the entire script!" brilliant. cut-throat island guy.

the studio released harlin's movie called "the beginning," and it flopped. they released "the beginning" on dvd, and it just sat there taking up way too much space at video stores. the dvd sales were prolly very low. then the producers thought "hmm maybe we should have just released schrader's original version, instead of wasting all that money for cut-throat island guy to re-shoot it as an incomprehensible horror-action flick." so the studio did a very limited theater release of schrader's version as "dominion," but really could never do a widespread release because people already paid to see "the beginning" use the exact same script only a few months before.

so yeah, one is not a sequel to the other, they're two different directors' versions of basically the same story.

maebach
01-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I thought Troy was ok but I really liked The Last Samurai.