PDA

View Full Version : How can I run Windows XP Games with maximum free ram?

Wolfmight
04-08-2005, 12:14 AM
I want some way to run windows (and only all components needed for off line game play) with the maximum amount of free ram. I wish the games could just run in some sort of Three Dimensional DOS, where the game is the "ONLY" thing in the ram. Think of the performance difference!?
Run Half Life 2 on Windows xp with a few things open.
Then if you could run Half Life 2 in a 3D type of DOS (doubt it exists)..wouldn't you see about an added 10-15fps? Without the O/S, you should be running in console mode baby.

Now, to be realistic.. I'm looking for somewhat of a way towards my dream of running games with a very small Bare bone O/S running in the background. How come PS2 and XBOX games run without an O/S? Couldn't the PC do the very same? Would be very nice indeed, because 90% of the time I run a pc games, I don't need the Internet, anti virus, firewall, and others.

I know Linux Wine adds a few FPS to games like Quake 3, but it lacks major support for other games. (barely runs Vice City half ass).
Any ways to create a Partition with a specially modified version of windows dedicated for off line gamers? (When it comes to online games like Halo, I don't mind running Windows XP with latest updates..because It's somewhat safer that way).

Adster
04-08-2005, 02:09 AM
different is with a console you don't install the files on a HD it is ROM read only memory whats on the disk is what your running from. with a PC game you don't even need the disk with a no CD crack!! i don't think its possible without a OS where is the data to be stored/?

Peerzy
04-08-2005, 02:22 AM
different is with a console you don't install the files on a HD it is ROM read only memory whats on the disk is what your running from. with a PC game you don't even need the disk with a no CD crack!! i don't think its possible without a OS where is the data to be stored/?

Data is stored on the hard drive, an OS is just a graphical way of showing your hard drive. Think back to DOS that could be run off a floopy.

SingaBoiy
04-08-2005, 02:27 AM
Posted this about 20 min. ago but CC started f'in up. Good thing I saved it before i restarted. Here it is.

Then get Windows 2003... has barely any processes running.

No possible way a pc can play an xbox game. Other then an emu. but there is no practical emu out there.

Xbox does have a type of "OS" on it, but not really an OS. Xbox's root system code is just too different from pcs.

Wolfmight
04-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Windows 2003? Does this run most pc games? What's it ment for?

Snee
04-08-2005, 01:10 PM
Win2k>Win2k3 IMO.

100%
04-08-2005, 01:21 PM
You could simply kill as many processes as possible to free up ram

I haven't yet tried this but you can set it kill any processes etc items you want and then restore it.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartclose.html

i use this
Start & Stop Services (.bat)
When working offline & when playing games or running heavy applications - i kill these services to allow for faster machine. Its totally safe. also stops Avg & Sygate. You can add other process or services by simply adding their "name"
download here : http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=993597&postcount=2

SingaBoiy
04-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Windows 2003? Does this run most pc games? What's it ment for?
Yes. It is meant to be used as a server. Hence the name Windows Server 2003

It has at most 5-10 processes running when you first install it. :ph34r:

Wolfmight
04-09-2005, 02:56 PM
hmm, seems that SmartClose helps some. I just wish pc games could run either in windows or in the ram alone like a console. That way you have a faster system, things will go much faster. Hell, the memory is too low now of days. The system lags when the ram is clearing to fit more in right? Well, why not have 20gb+ of fast ram that has it's own cpu to clear it out. Some way that doesn't interupt you with the lag.

Anyho, I believe SmartClose is a good solution for people running windows who are trying to close most programs the lazy way. It also restores them back from a snapshot..not bad at all.

You know how there's Safemode? There should be Gamemode for gamers who don't want to be bothered with any other services and such. Barebone os with a playlist.

cpt_azad
04-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Well, why not have 20gb+ of fast ram that has it's own cpu to clear it out. Some way that doesn't interupt you with the lag.

not for another 5 years buddy. but i too wish there was something like that, think of the huge performance leap :w00t:

Wolfmight
04-11-2005, 08:50 PM
not for another 5 years buddy. but i too wish there was something like that, think of the huge performance leap :w00t:
yep, I believe that will help us with one of our major speed issues...as they have been progressing. Remember Windows 95 and 98, plus the hardware out those days? Now look how much faster things are. People still complain, but I believe one day things will be fast enough. That's when more problematic issues of overuse will arise. A nice and fast system that plays very nice looking graphics is addictive. Playing a game with graphics 200 times the quality of Half-life 2 without any load times or lag is nice. Not for us right now though.

cpt_azad
04-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Playing a game with graphics 200 times the quality of Half-life 2 without any load times or lag is nice. Not for us right now though.

that is one of my dreams, hopefully we'll see it in our lifetimes. but we also have to factor in moore's law so that "future" might be closer than we think.

Dark Ride
04-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Isn't the "Microsoft Windows XP: Media Center Edition" OS ment to be for gaming/media only ?

Would that be a good option ?

@ Wolfmight

Btw, I was asking myself that same question a few days ago.Thanks for reminding me of that :cool:

Wolfmight
05-10-2005, 10:39 PM
I believe Media Center Edition is only for Videos, Music, Images, and such. Microsoft worked hard to bring a media center o/s and hardware setup for nice telivison sets. Mainly very user friendly and hopefully won't crash while your playing those full version movies to your buddies. Something neat for non-computersavy users/familys with moooola!