PDA

View Full Version : Adware &Spyware in p2p

serracin
04-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Despite what they claim, my anti-adware program has shown that ALL p2p have bundled spypware. Even eMule, has BEARSHARE spyware bundled.

We pay dearly for our internet connection. And I expect, that if I have to pay for a pro version of a program, it should be free from any spy/adware.

Limewire is a classic example. Despite paying for a pro version, I still could detect Groksner spyware.

Rip The Jacker
04-12-2005, 06:33 AM
ALL p2p have bundled spypware.
The following are spyware free:
-Kazaa Lite
-Ares Lite Edition
-WinMX
-Most BitTorrent clients (BitTornado, etc.)
-mIRC

Not all P2P apps have spyware, just look around, and never pay for filesharing.

RealitY
04-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Many do indeed although there are those that have none at all...

nanotek
04-12-2005, 08:21 AM
you forgot soulseek and dc++ :D

Izagaia
04-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Many of those anti-spyware applications do not actually find legitimate malwares. They are simply scanning your system and identifying files against a central database, comparing to known .exe's and .dll's (or whatever) that have already been marked by someone else as "spyware".

For instance, K-lite K++ contains no spyware. However it still utilizes a file called "kazaa.exe". Therefore an anti-spyware application will flag it and alert you. Many of the "pro" versions have the same results. Someone has modified or created a new version of the internal files needed in order to omit known malwares yet because the overall application still utilizes files of the same name as those identified as containing spyware... well- you get the picture.

keyser_soze
04-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Emule has spyware? :ohmy:

Illuminati
04-16-2005, 10:43 PM
Emule has spyware? :ohmy:

That's what I'm thinking.

If meant eDonkey or even a variant from the official eMule project, yeah. But the official eMule client? :huh:

keyser_soze
04-17-2005, 12:17 AM
I hope not :(

RPerry
04-17-2005, 01:11 AM
I think there is some confusion here. I have never seen any evidence of emule having spyware :blink: The regular KMD had spyware, K-lite never did.

peat moss
04-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Many antispyware have false positives when scaning your computer. Giant finds my k-lite and limewire as spyware. It then tells me to ignore it, which I do.