PDA

View Full Version : Playing old pc games on xp?

newcombe6
04-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Hi all!

im trying to play some old pc games that i havent installing in bloody ages (indiana jones and the infernal machine/fate of atlantis) but they wont install with xp and you get an error message saying 'this is not compatible with windows' or something like that

is there any emulators for playing older games? the windows 98 games basically? those that are slightly newer than dos installs = but dont work with xp?

any help would be cool - cheers

Guillaume
04-12-2005, 11:13 AM
For some old Lucasart games (like Monkey Island 1&2, day of the tentacle...) there's Scummware (ScummVM).
For more recent games, no. :(
The solution is to multi-boot...

edit: Just thought about dosbox. Anyone knows if it could be used for this? :unsure:

newcombe6
04-12-2005, 11:17 AM
cheers for that

probably the easiest way to partition the hdd and load win 95/98 on

thanks

Guillaume
04-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Yeah. It's what I'm about to do. what bugs me is that win95/98 will only install on C:, meaning I'll have to install two OS in a row! :frusty:

spudmessy
04-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Erm maybe an easier solution would be to use Dosbox.

hxxp://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

newcombe6
04-12-2005, 02:08 PM
i see no reason why it wouldnt work

about to try it anyways....

Dark Ride
04-12-2005, 04:07 PM
Be sure your HDD is formated with FAT32 system, and not NTFS.

You will be not able to install Win98/95 ona NTFS formated drive.

And don't install two OS on one partition.Belive me I've tried and and it didn't work out well.

express98
04-13-2005, 06:22 PM
hi not sure where ya look but xp has a bit in it some where,where ya can run as 98 do a search cos i did it with my sons old games,will post again if i can find it ,but its poss...............found it go to help and support centre then click on fixing a problem ,then click games sound and video problem

FilesAreGood
04-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Or if the game isn't overly heavy on the CPU/Graphic card, you could get hold on VirtualPC, and install a copy of Win98 inside of it. It emulates the graphics card as an S3 Virge or something though (or at least used to in the old version, maybe updated now) so it mightn't run 3D.

DoktaLuv
04-16-2005, 02:26 AM
DOSbox by far is the easiest way to go about playing older games, but for the Win 98 thing you just have to look in the .exe, .com, etc. and switch the 'Run In Compatability Mode For' to Win 98 and it should work fine. Anyway, cheers.

RealitY
04-16-2005, 04:33 AM
I have VMWare although the video it emulates is not all that great and may not work although as mentioned above you may want to right click the exe and change it to 98 as Ive done that with some basic apps although not games and it has worked fine...