PDA

View Full Version : oh yesh!1

Mr. Mulder
04-15-2005, 09:50 PM
just switched to suse 9.1 as my main os, more importantly it gets rid of that dirty M$ smell :ermm:

TheYogi
04-15-2005, 10:01 PM
I am jealous; i can't get myself to add that OS.

Also due to the fact most of my music-apps only run on windows...........

Yogi

GepperRankins
04-15-2005, 10:07 PM
what games have you got in, arc? :D

Snee
04-15-2005, 10:11 PM
I've got starfighter (http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk/starfighter.php) and beneath a steel sky on SuSe :01:

Frohike
04-17-2005, 04:08 PM
bah!!!! and meh!!!!!!

suse does not like speedtouch dsl modems :no: so i had to install winXP again after loosing everything on the existing partition cos at first, suse kept booting me to it's grub screen which isn't exactly noob friendly - so i went for a full linux install and that worked out great except for not being able to connect to the interweb :ermm: so then i installed winxp which of course annihilates anything else on your hd if you haven't left room for it, so after making about a 30gig partition and getting set up again, my troubles have gotten me back where i started except with nothing other than a few albums and avi's i backed up :dry:

i've left 30gig spare to try again with suse, but im a bit weary because if it goes tits up again and i can't get back to windows it would mean doing all this all over again - think i'll have to start with some support forums before attempting anything else :unsure:

games were tux racing, a puzzle bobble type game with penguins and lots of others i couldn't play because i use on board graphics which suse didn't detect :(

despite all this im not giving up on it :ermm: Just asked a feck load of questions on a suse board, hopefully someone will have answeres :unsure:

Pwn3d (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/mrmulder/bugger.jpg) :no:

enoughfakefiles
04-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Why don`t you like m$. :unsure:

Frohike
04-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Why don`t you like m$. :unsure:

Hi eff, It killed my fish :crying:

enoughfakefiles
04-17-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi eff, It killed my fish :crying:

That`s a good enough reason.Dam m$ :angry:

Frohike
04-17-2005, 04:22 PM
That`s a good enough reason.Dam m$ :angry:

actually thats a lie, microsoft didn't kill my fish at all, it was probably old age or from feeding it crisps and beer :unsure:

enoughfakefiles
04-17-2005, 04:29 PM
actually thats a lie, microsoft didn't kill my fish at all, it was probably old age or from feeding it crisps and beer :unsure:

The crisps were`nt cheese and onion were they. I hear they don`t like them. :unsure:

Frohike
04-17-2005, 04:31 PM
The crisps were`nt cheese and onion were they. I hear they don`t like them. :unsure:

cool doritos, he didn't seem to like them much either, though the salt 'n shakes went down a treat :ermm:

Gripper
04-17-2005, 04:38 PM
P'raps they made him thirsty and he drank all his own water

Snee
04-17-2005, 04:59 PM
bah!!!! and meh!!!!!!

suse does not like speedtouch dsl modems :no: so i had to install winXP again after loosing everything on the existing partition cos at first, suse kept booting me to it's grub screen which isn't exactly noob friendly - so i went for a full linux install and that worked out great except for not being able to connect to the interweb :ermm: so then i installed winxp which of course annihilates anything else on your hd if you haven't left room for it, so after making about a 30gig partition and getting set up again, my troubles have gotten me back where i started except with nothing other than a few albums and avi's i backed up :dry:

i've left 30gig spare to try again with suse, but im a bit weary because if it goes tits up again and i can't get back to windows it would mean doing all this all over again - think i'll have to start with some support forums before attempting anything else :unsure:

games were tux racing, a puzzle bobble type game with penguins and lots of others i couldn't play because i use on board graphics which suse didn't detect :(

despite all this im not giving up on it :ermm: Just asked a feck load of questions on a suse board, hopefully someone will have answeres :unsure:

Pwn3d (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/mrmulder/bugger.jpg) :no:
How the fook did you manage to lose everything?

Next time do like I do and make one ten gig partition for windows, and a bigger one for files and games installs, with fat 32 on the second one suse can write to it, but leave like ten gigs for suse to install.

Install suse last, and if it gets buggered then you just swipe its partitions and begin again, you don't need to remove grub or anything for that.

if you need to reinstall windows then you can repair grub with the install disc, that should be fairly easy too. :unsure:

Frohike
04-17-2005, 05:40 PM
I lost everything because i couldn't get back into windows due to not having a fooking clue what grub is, let alone how to use it, the install disk didn't do much in the way of repair either :ermm: once i had just suse on the hd, i got the fecking graphic boot up screen :rolleyes:

what you said sounds sensible, though i'd rather find out how to sort out the modem and graphics first cos they were slowing everything down :dry:

some guy on another forum suggested this linmodems site and a linux app that does something like detect your modem? just trying to figure it all out, it's not very user friendly :unsure:

Frohike
04-17-2005, 05:41 PM
oh noez, my roms and battlestar galactica!111 :ohmy:

Snee
04-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Grub>Lilo, 'k?

I'm still not clear on how you swiped all the files, unless you expressively told windows to repartition or format they should still be accessible.

Have a look at your old linux partitions with knoppix or something :unsure:
The files should still be there, it's just grub that's gone from the boot-sector, thanks to the miracles of windows. XP can't read linux partitions is all. That's why I'd use FAT32 to save my files on, 'cos that way both linux and windows can deal with it equally well.

Also, I've got suse 9.1 pro too, and the way grub looks to me, it's just a bootlist. Unless of course, I'm changing settings, 'cos that's a whole other menu.

Grub is just the default boot-manager for suse, you should hardly have to deal with it directly 'cept for choosing which os to boot.

Mr. Mulder
04-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Yeah i told windows to format everything, i got very mad and had to use adult language :blushing:

Oh Yes!!!! I've now got suse and windows on duel boot with suse's graphic boot selector thingamajig on startup :01:

the graphics thing has sorted it's self out too, this time on installation I got more options and stuff, i think the first attempt was just a bad install or something :ermm: anyway, everythings sorted except for the interweb on suse :D

Snee
04-17-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah i told windows to format everything, i got very mad and had to use adult language :blushing:

:pinch: That was a bit geptarded, no offense.

Oh Yes!!!! I've now got suse and windows on duel boot with suse's graphic boot selector thingamajig on startup :01:
Would that be grub, perhaps?

the graphics thing has sorted it's self out too, this time on installation I got more options and stuff, i think the first attempt was just a bad install or something :ermm: anyway, everythings sorted except for the interweb on suse :D
You might need to get drivers off the update-site, so run that the first thing you do.

Too bad you can't reach it though :P

Mr. Mulder
04-17-2005, 08:02 PM
could be grub? does grub have a purple background? :ermm: yeah the windows thing was a bit geptarded - BSG :no:

how the fook do i get connected then? :tear: this bloke on a support forum is pointing me in the direction of linmodems which makes my teeth hurt :no:

Snee
04-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Sent you a pm, no idea if it'll help you any.

Will look some for speedtouch drivers.

Mr. Mulder
04-17-2005, 08:13 PM
thanx :wub:

Snee
04-17-2005, 08:16 PM
It was a usb modem, then? :unsure:

Not sure what kinds of modems they make.

Might need this too, in case you missed the link from the page I linked you to. (http://sourceforge.net/projects/speedtouch) :unsure: