PDA

View Full Version : Amityville Horror? (the new one)

_mattyboy_
04-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Amityville Horror

I imagine it'd be either really good or really crap.

that's usually the case with remakes.

Anyone seen it? is it worth seeing?

see ya

Tago Mago
04-16-2005, 12:41 PM
I was curious about this as well, but the reviews aren't really inspiring me to see it and the trailer looks a bit meh.

3RA1N1AC
04-16-2005, 05:16 PM
well, the original wasn't really any good, to start with. that should be a clue. Amityville (1979) was a pretty lame, unexciting haunted house novel + movie that sold like hotcakes 'cause they were advertised as being a "true story." 'cept it wasn't really a true story... the true part was that these people (the Lutz family) bought a house where the previous owners (the DeFeo family) had been murdered by their son, the Lutzes lived there for one month, then they moved out.

and they wrote a ridiculous book about how the house was possessed by Satan, Indian spirits, a DEMONIC PIG lurking outside the window, grape jelly oozing out of the walls. that part was a hoax, all of the haunting stuff.

it wouldn't be difficult for the remake to be better than such a crappy original, but it'd require some kind of miracle for it to be really GOOD, considering the quality of the "true story" they're working with.

but i haven't seen this remake. i suppose if you wanna watch a family get chased around their house by ghosts and a demon pig and such, without much emphasis on a coherent & motivated story, then maybe it'll be your sort of thing.

Tago Mago
04-16-2005, 06:36 PM
It's a long time since I saw the original, and I can't remember whether it was quietly eerie, or just a bit dull. I think possibly the latter.

asmithz
04-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Umm, ok movie. Ryan Reynolds was funny as always. Great movie to take a girl to :-p

Adster
04-16-2005, 09:48 PM
heard mixed reviews same say its better then the original

but of course Ive also read the same problem that always is the case with remakes

too much focus on special effects and shit and not much focus on characters!! they used to have personalties characters look at star wars

DoktaLuv
04-17-2005, 12:59 AM
Yeah, I thought it was hilarious that the trailer was touted as a "true" story when the Lutzes ADMITTED that they made it all up to make some cash. So it's based on a true-made-up story? How does that work? Heh.

_mattyboy_
04-17-2005, 05:16 AM
meh.

I'm going to see it tomorrow anyway, there isn't many good movies out right now.

Anyone in here a Jimeoin fan, they seen his new movie "the extra" or something?

sameer0807
04-19-2005, 02:10 AM
I'm watchin this movie tonight.

Skiz
04-19-2005, 05:48 AM
I haven't seen the old one in quite some time and have yet to see the new one. One guy at work said it sucked and one guy on TeamSpeak said it rocked....I'll wait till the DVD.

_mattyboy_
04-19-2005, 06:31 AM
wasn't that bad. good for a fright. very very loosely based on a true story though I think.

kellenator
04-24-2005, 11:54 PM
i thought the new one was pretty bad.

davec8
04-25-2005, 12:24 AM
I watched it last night. I could look at it with an open mind because I didn't remember anything about the first one it's been so long since I've seen it. I thought Ryan Reynolds was pretty good(bringing some humour into a horror isn't always easy) and thought they did a decent job of staying away from any REALLY cheezy special effects(thought they stayed failrly basic considering today's capabilities) or other crap that horrors can easily fall back on although some of the storyline's a bit of a strech. Comparing it to other horrors that have come out the last few years, overall I'd say it's allright. Not one I'd gush all over but not one I'd tell people to stay away from either. Decent.

ziggyjuarez
04-25-2005, 03:30 AM
I have it on right now,its scary as hell :unsure:

Adster
04-25-2005, 04:12 AM
it is not a true story technically

what they say is the defoe family was murdered by yeah the father murder his sisters brothers and parents.

the next family moved in the real reason they left after 28 days eas because they couldn't pay off the mortgage on the house

the Defoe Father and lawyer had made a deal with George that to lie about the house being haunted with ghosts in the attempt he could be found innocent due too hearing voices in the house making him insane!

the whole story really is a hoax

ziggyjuarez
04-25-2005, 04:21 AM
That gos without saying.

Monkeee
04-25-2005, 04:25 AM
just saw the movie, holy shit scariest movie i've seen!!!

Adster
04-25-2005, 06:05 AM
The original had some scary scenes had yet to see the reamke...

the scene on the original with the eye hehe my fav...

BTW what is different about the remake ten the original apart form having a Aussie chick in there

turtlehead
04-26-2005, 08:04 PM
I watched this yesterday and I cant believe I'm saying this but I did enjoy it you want my opinion thought the storyline was more of a rehashed Shining off course theres no real comparison between the two in the big scheme of things but still enjoyable there is some jumpy moments and genuine scary ones dont really want to elaborate on the comparison for fear of spoiling but worth a watch not like chainsaw massacre which really was massacred in its remake. Watch it

droppie
05-01-2005, 10:44 AM
I saw this movie last week and i think it's a good movie

Bebi
05-01-2005, 04:59 PM
I just watched it last night, it was so-so I mean its nothing that will be remembered. :dry: