PDA

View Full Version : bought a cheap soldering iron

99shassan
04-16-2005, 07:06 PM
15w

made by "Powertools Enterprises LTD". I can't find any tips for this soldering iron. Would any tip work?

GepperRankins
04-16-2005, 07:08 PM
heat both surfaces first is a good tip.

yeah any tip will work, it's the solder you should worry about

99shassan
04-16-2005, 07:11 PM
so are all tips the same size? Say I bought a tip made by weller, it would have to be a 15w tip, and would it fit into any 15watt soldering iron? Thanks

GepperRankins
04-16-2005, 07:16 PM
is there such thing as a 15watt tip? i thought the filament and tip were seperate.

as for different sizes i think one size fits all soldering irons, but the business end can be different depending on what you want to do.

i think i need to revise though

99shassan
04-16-2005, 07:18 PM
i meant a tip that is suitable for 15 watt irons.

can anyone confirm for me what gepperrankins said?
thanks

GepperRankins
04-16-2005, 07:19 PM
i haven't used soldering irons a lot.

i think the tip is just a piece of metal that get heated up. so any tip will work in a 15watt soldering iron

99shassan
04-16-2005, 08:07 PM
I heard you have to buy certain tips for different watts. Can someone confirm this info? Thanks

GepperRankins
04-16-2005, 08:25 PM
TheDave - look mummy i'm multi-tasking says:
do 15watt soldering irons need a specific tip?

bengerbil - housemates wanted - tony blair is freeware - featherstone is not waiting for the un says:
why?

someone on fs6t wants to know

bengerbil - housemates wanted - tony blair is freeware - featherstone is not waiting for the un says:
it depends on the fitting of the iron

right

it doesn't matter on the rating, you need a tip that fits thats all

i just asked our ben. he does lots of soldering. i don't know how to find a tip that fits, i thought they were all universal. maybe look in your instructions for the size you need

99shassan
04-16-2005, 08:52 PM
This is the info on it. The length of it was measured by me, info wasn't on the box, 3.3cm long
0.3-0.35cm thick (the side that inserts into the iron)

This was the info on the box

15w 3.5mm copper long life.

had different shaped soldering tips, the ones i want are the

B-L BC-L
B-K

I odn't know waht they mean