PDA

View Full Version : Should we get rid of sig2dat links?

uNz[i]
04-17-2005, 08:14 AM
This post is 50% badly needed discussion, and 50% poll request.

Lets face it. sig2dat is okay as far as linking verifieds goes, but the FastTrack network ain't what it used to be.
Its got the RIAA sniffing around, the fakes, the virii, and it's a network that offers no built in corruption handling.

Should FST continue to offer sig2dat links in the verifieds sections, or change over to a better/safer/more secure network than FastTrack?
If the forum was to use/promote one or more official link type(s), what type(s) would you prefer?

sig2dat
ed2k
Magnet
Torrent (if only...) :(
Other?

RealitY
04-17-2005, 08:20 AM
']This post is 50% badly needed discussion, and 50% poll request.

Lets face it. sig2dat is okay as far as linking verifieds goes, but the FastTrack network ain't what it used to be.
Its got the RIAA sniffing around, the fakes, the virii, and it's a network that offers no built in corruption handling.

Should FST continue to offer sig2dat links in the verifieds sections, or change over to a better/safer/more secure network than FastTrack?
If the forum was to use/promote one or more official link type(s), what type(s) would you prefer?

sig2dat
ed2k
Magnet
Torrent (if only...) :(
Other?
I can only say what I mentioned before as why disallow them if some still use them even if others dont. As far as I see it we should encourage new types like [arlink] (ares) and generate new board traffic perhaps this way rather than worrying about what not to allow as I dont see any reason to chase any traffic away unless its a real issue like bt is as things like such will eliminate itself in the respect of if its just simply not used at some point...

peat moss
04-17-2005, 08:34 AM
For some change is hard . I only use ed2k , but a lot of people still have the k-lite flavour of sig2dat. It would be unprofessional of this forum ,to limit what form of links we offer . We're trying to get members not discourage them. :)

uNz[i]
04-17-2005, 08:40 AM
The fact that the forum offers sig2dat links basically says we as a community use and recommend the fasttrack network.

Is this true? I don't think so.

peat - I think the more members we can get using other apps rather than kazaa, the better it is for P2P as a whole...

peat moss
04-17-2005, 08:59 AM
Oh I know uNz[i], example I just uninstalled K-lite last weekend .My older boy was the only one who used it. He thought it was easier to use, I showed him how to search on limewire pro and emule . Now he's happy but like I said, change is hard . ;)

uNz[i]
04-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Good for you peat. :) But I'm of the opinion that change isn't hard, it's inevitable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm quite aware of the big picture, traffic-wise.
I'm not looking to 'chase traffic away' by offering links to another network.

But just take a look thru the verifieds sections. It's sig2dat as far as the eye can see.
Thats a bad thing for P2P newcomers - sig2dat encourages the use of kazaa in any form, so the uninitiated are bound to fall for the spyware, viruses and fakes eventually...

So isn't offering links from an unsecured network unprofessional and irresponsible of us?

...and here's another thought:

Perhaps we're unwittingly chasing the experienced P2P traffic away by continuing to offer a majority of sig2dat links?

Vargas
04-17-2005, 10:03 AM
bitzi dropped sig2dat links, even if you submit them with Bitcollider v0.40

BawA
04-17-2005, 12:27 PM
how about exeem links?
thier good for community sharing.

{I}{K}{E}
04-17-2005, 12:29 PM
how about exeem links?
thier good for community sharing.

Exeem is crap :P and as far as I know those links are the same as bittorrent links.

why should we get rid of hashes? some people still use them and most of the links posted lately are ed2k anyway.

you can post all kinds of verified links as long as they are not DDL's and torrents

Vargas
04-17-2005, 12:33 PM
but then we'd have to use exeem, and thats been shunned by the community, since it was removed from the "Which bittorrent client do you use?" poll (after i voted for it) help i'm being oppressed!
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=91218

EDIT: bit exeem (exeem://58/20547483fd2cb5d3446fd67c7b461e88d20e9cae/BIT_eXeem_v0.23.exe) v0.23 is out by the way :w00t:

Peerzy
04-17-2005, 01:08 PM
Yay, new Exeem, now packed with even more Spyware and shit. I can't wait to download, burn to a cd and burn it.

Vargas
04-17-2005, 01:21 PM
erm bit exeem is clean with no ads

RealitY
04-17-2005, 04:58 PM
']But I'm of the opinion that change isn't hard, it's inevitable.
The fact is your right and it has already happened anyway.

But just take a look thru the verifieds sections. It's sig2dat as far as the eye can see.
I havent looked in detail but I think most of the newers ones are ed2k anyway.

Perhaps we're unwittingly chasing the experienced P2P traffic away by continuing to offer a majority of sig2dat links?
I doubt that where at this point I would like the board to be well rounded and have alot to offer whatever ones thing may be.

Also the best thing you can do for your cause is a flood of some good ed2k stuff...
:) :)

uNz[i]
04-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Also the best thing you can do for your cause is a flood of some good ed2k stuff...

In other words, I should go for it, but I'm on my own as usual.
Funny, I thought this was supposed to be a community. Not a one man show.

ziggyjuarez
04-18-2005, 04:21 AM
Torrents please.Stand up to rIAA :01:

RealitY
04-18-2005, 04:35 AM
']In other words, I should go for it, but I'm on my own as usual.
Funny, I thought this was supposed to be a community. Not a one man show.
Doubt your on your own and hardly what I meant as well...
:ohmy: :ohmy:

uNz[i]
04-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Well, lets find out.

What I'd really like to suggest is that we (as in we - a group of volunteers, not just me) get together and form a verified links checking/replacing group.

The group's job would be to go through the verifieds of the... lets say... past 12 months for starters? ...and replace any verified links that are sig2dat with another network's link. ed2k, magnet... whatever the rules allow.

If members of the board want to keep the existing sig2dat links, fine, then we can just add an altenative for ed2k or whatever.

Start with a pinned topic in this section asking for volunteers who can put in time at least once a week to get a list of verified sig2dats and find a comparable list from another network.

Offer something like a special member group or sig etc for thier efforts - make it worthwhile.

What does everyone think of that?

RealitY
04-18-2005, 05:56 AM
Thats a rather good suggestion for whoever is willing to put in the effort and I would suggest just to add a new post with the other networks hash. I dont think it needs to be done quickly so if only a few or even less where done each day that would even be good as it would show as activity within the section also...

Vargas
04-18-2005, 06:15 AM
no point of posting sig2dats if all the sources are on ed2k, and vice-versa
people should only post links that will work

uNz[i]
04-18-2005, 07:26 AM
Naturally. :)

The group should always aim to find verifieds with the maximum number of sources. If a comparable file can't be found on another network, no change or addition will be made to the existing verified thread.

Most verifieds posted on FST are quite popular though. I don't think we'll have too much trouble finding the same or similar files on other networks in most cases.

I also seem to remember an old school KLB member saying that a lot of the files on fasttrack had trickled down from the ed2k network. If that's true, our job shouldn't be too difficult.