PDA

View Full Version : meh. 'nother celeron repair :(

fkdup74
04-19-2005, 11:02 PM
why can't some douchebag with more money than brains....
bring me an AMD64 to play with? :angry:
it's always an old celeron, p1 or p3 :(
as a matter of fact, don't think I've ever worked on another AMD system besides mine
hmmmm.....maybe AMD owners are just smarter? could there be statistics proving this? :P

anyhoot, the system/ppl in need this time....
played a game online and teh pc froze
instead of doing a power off with the button...
they unplugged it from teh wall, and it was fux0red after that
they say the pc wont even power on
it powered on for me :blink:

this is gonna be fun.......

GepperRankins
04-19-2005, 11:04 PM
wouldn't a douchbag with more money than brains bring a pentium. if you know what i mean :whistling:

fkdup74
04-19-2005, 11:13 PM
wouldn't a douchbag with more money than brains bring a pentium. if you know what i mean :whistling: :lol: good point :lol:
hmmm.....just checked the monitor too, it powers on fine
now as soon as I can go grab another power cord...
I can try em out together (the monitor wasnt delivered with teh power cord)
possible cause of this alleged crash? forgetting to plug in/power up the monitor? :lol:
either that or they shot a surge through it and fried the onboard video,
and this mobo has no AGP slot :huh: ....
and the cheapest 478 mobo I can find locally is 'bout 100 bucks :pinch:

but of course they could go PCI gfx if needed

GepperRankins
04-19-2005, 11:18 PM
it probably just tripped out for two minutes and they were scared to check after a few more minutes. i know thats scared me a few times :fear:

Chewie
04-20-2005, 09:20 PM
...played a game online and teh pc froze
instead of doing a power off with the button...
they unplugged it from teh wall...
Entirely rational act, seeing as instruction leaflets often omit the part where you need to hold in the power button for 4 seconds to instantly power off.

ken52787
04-21-2005, 09:50 PM
I wonder what online game they were playing with a celeron and onboard video. Java poker perhaps?

fkdup74
04-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Entirely rational act, seeing as instruction leaflets often omit the part where you need to hold in the power button for 4 seconds to instantly power off.

ummm...that info was included with my old compaq,
and HP really sux at givin instructions in case of emergency :P

anyway.....update....'twas a fried Celeron D :01: :lol:
ffs, I put my old athlon xp 2400 through hell and it's still runnin
and a celeron fries from unpluggin the power cord?
can't be, I think this lady omitted some info when she brought teh pc :dry:

Chewie
04-29-2005, 03:53 AM
anyway.....update....'twas a fried Celeron D :01: :lol:
ffs, I put my old athlon xp 2400 through hell and it's still runnin
and a celeron fries from unpluggin the power cord?
can't be, I think this lady omitted some info when she brought teh pc :dry:
Unplugging the power cord should do no damage at all. Perhaps a faulty PSU could damage the processor but I don't believe the sudden withdrawal of electricity supply could ever do damage to solid state circuitry.

Jon L. Obscene
04-30-2005, 11:29 AM
hmmmm.....maybe AMD owners are just smarter? could there be statistics proving this? :P

I'm an AMD user.. :01:

So with that in mind it kinda dissproves your theory of amd users being smart :huh:

Jonno :cool:

tesco
04-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Yup exactly.
I never knew about holding teh button in for 4 seconds when i first got my old computer. whenever it froze i'd just unplug it.

Then one time at radioshack i was looking at computers there and noticed one of them said hold power button for 4 seconds to shut off. i tried that on mine and it worked. :D
wish hp told me that tho. :dry:

fkdup74
04-30-2005, 07:02 PM
Unplugging the power cord should do no damage at all. Perhaps a faulty PSU could damage the processor but I don't believe the sudden withdrawal of electricity supply could ever do damage to solid state circuitry.

read the whole post fer cryin out loud :P

can't be, I think this lady omitted some info when she brought teh pc

suhaib
05-01-2005, 12:54 AM
Well i've got a amd2800...hell i'm annoyed at it....keeps on crashing during games....tested about 4 graphic cards...all the same....must've changed my ram 3 times, still no help...think i might just swtich to p4 :(

tesco
05-01-2005, 01:31 AM
Well i've got a amd2800...hell i'm annoyed at it....keeps on crashing during games....tested about 4 graphic cards...all the same....must've changed my ram 3 times, still no help...think i might just swtich to p4 :(
that could be anything causing the freezing.
bad drivers, not enough power (shitty power supply), overheating, corrupt windows installation, etc.

suhaib
05-01-2005, 01:42 AM
that could be anything causing the freezing.
bad drivers, not enough power (shitty power supply), overheating, corrupt windows installation, etc.

man thts the problem.....i've reformatted atleast 20 times within the last 2 months.....changed my power supply 2 times...had a 250w b4, now using a 350w.......i am sure theres no prob with windows...i've tried xp sp1, sp2, crazy xp, nemesis, rev02. Now i'm thinking abt installing 2003 or maybe me.....Prob tht might help for my gaming

Virtualbody1234
05-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Yeah. Why blame the CPU? I don't think it'll be any different with a P4.

You need to pinpoint the real problem.

Virtualbody1234
05-01-2005, 01:46 AM
man thts the problem.....i've reformatted atleast 20 times within the last 2 months.....changed my power supply 2 times...had a 250w b4, now using a 350w.......i am sure theres no prob with windows...i've tried xp sp1, sp2, crazy xp, nemesis, rev02. Now i'm thinking abt installing 2003 or maybe me.....Prob tht might help for my gaming
What about drivers?

fkdup74
05-01-2005, 02:18 AM

not once did you mention checking into the thermal issue
its worth a look ;)

and if you think installing ME is gonna slove anything.....well.....
you know what? go ahead, its your hair you'll be pulling out :lol:

you deserve bad advice for hi-jacking my thread....
so go ahead with teh P4 too, why not? :devil:

ask anyone in here, AMD pwns intel at gaming

clocker
05-01-2005, 12:59 PM
You need to quit guessing what the problem is and make a concerted effort to isolate it.
Any decent PC repair shop should be able to run hardware scans (QuickTech, etc.) and eliminate the variables.
Simply formatting/reinstalling over and over again has obviously gotten you nowhere, so quit screwing around.

kazaa2002
05-01-2005, 03:42 PM
some suggestions...
check the plug and the power cord,
and if they had a surge suppressor,if they like to play games during storms

perhaps they omitted that they always pull the
power cord out of the wall baseboard socket because it is too much
trouble to bend over and remove it properly
the office chair rolls over the cord only 4x a day

or worse yet ,someone opened the hood, to see if they
could see what was wrong and why they could not finish their game.

fkdup74
05-02-2005, 06:56 PM
some suggestions...
check the plug and the power cord,
and if they had a surge suppressor,if they like to play games during storms

perhaps they omitted that they always pull the
power cord out of the wall baseboard socket because it is too much
trouble to bend over and remove it properly
the office chair rolls over the cord only 4x a day

or worse yet ,someone opened the hood, to see if they
could see what was wrong and why they could not finish their game.

no, the cpu is fried, this was sorted already, read the thread :P