PDA

View Full Version : HD Acceleration

Aurora
04-20-2005, 06:37 AM
Not sure if this is hardware or software question :unsure:

Where can I accelerate the speed of my Hard Disc? And what is the best speed that will not cause crashes?
No idea what I have.

S!X
04-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Not sure if this is hardware or software question :unsure:

Where can I accelerate the speed of my Hard Disc? And what is the best speed that will not cause crashes?
No idea what I have.

You cant. IT runs at the speed that it runs at. Whatever that my be. 5200 RPM 7200 ect..

thedazman
04-20-2005, 10:41 AM
you can speed up the reading from a HD tho, Run disk fragmentor on a weekly basis.

clocker
04-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Ah, the truely hard core...wants to overclock his hard drive.
I can think of but two ways to do this.

Open up your wallet and buy a WD Raptor or even better, a 15K SCSI Cheetah.

A less expensive option would be to change your hamster's diet.
Look carefully at your current HDD.
There is a tiny hole there ( frequently marked with a sticker telling you NOT to block it).

This is where you should have been inserting the nourishment that keeps your hamster performing at his best.
Switch from the recommended gruel to Starbucks Espresso.
Don't overdo it.
You will see an immediate and dramatic change in your disk performance.

Common side effects include increased smoking and a new fondness for loud death metal music.

Aurora
04-20-2005, 05:42 PM
hahahahaha :lol:
Interesting answer!

Reason I'm asking is that after reinstaling Windows, computer is working slower. So I thought maybe in the store they did something, and now that seting is gone.

Ah, the truely hard core...wants to overclock his hard drive.
I can think of but two ways to do this.

Open up your wallet and buy a WD Raptor or even better, a 15K SCSI Cheetah.

A less expensive option would be to change your hamster's diet.
Look carefully at your current HDD.
There is a tiny hole there ( frequently marked with a sticker telling you NOT to block it).

This is where you should have been inserting the nourishment that keeps your hamster performing at his best.
Switch from the recommended gruel to Starbucks Espresso.
Don't overdo it.
You will see an immediate and dramatic change in your disk performance.

Common side effects include increased smoking and a new fondness for loud death metal music.

Virtualbody1234
04-20-2005, 06:43 PM
Reason I'm asking is that after reinstaling Windows, computer is working slower. So I thought maybe in the store they did something, and now that seting is gone.
Ah. Now that is a different question. There could be drivers needed for your specific hardware. Using the proper drivers will improve performance.

What operating system? List all your hardware components.

clocker
04-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Don't forget to list your hamster's age, sex, and revision number.

Aurora
04-20-2005, 08:31 PM
I instaled XP Profesional, And I have Chipset CD(systemboard, or whatever you call it) so I think I have all the drivers I need.

HD: HITACHI_DK23EA-30
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
504 MB of RAM (shouldn't be 512)

Virtualbody1234 what else of components you want to know?
Oh btw, it is a Samsung lap-top and it is like year old.

Aurora
04-20-2005, 08:35 PM
haha wery funny clocker!

clocker
04-20-2005, 08:41 PM
Oh geez...this a laptop.

I hate laptops.

Virtualbody1234
04-20-2005, 10:21 PM
The chipset CD probably has the drivers you need but you could probably find updated versions on the laptop makers website. So check here. (http://www.samsungelectronics.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecuk/product/product_type.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0807601389.1114034937@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddeglgmlfmcfekcefedffgdfmi.0&categoryPath=%2fSEUK+Products%2fIT+%26+Business+Related+Product%2fNotebook+PC)

Virtualbody1234 what else of components you want to know? How about the model of the laptop. :frusty:

lynx
04-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Oh geez...this a laptop.

I hate laptops.You never complained about AnnaMiller on your laptop :w00t:

clocker
04-20-2005, 11:59 PM
You never complained about AnnaMiller on your laptop :w00t:
Oh, thanks for that.
Just as the wounds were beginning to heal I am yet again ripped asunder.

*sob...*

peat moss
04-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Don't forget to list your hamster's age, sex, and revision number.

"SEX" ? not lately ................... :(

Aurora
04-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Virtualbody1234 on the computer sais Samsung V25, but there is no souch model on this site or Samsung international.

Virtualbody1234
04-21-2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.samsungpc.com/products/v25/v25.htm

Aurora
04-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks Virtualbody1234 I'll try reinstaling the drivers.

lynx
04-21-2005, 11:38 PM
Oh, thanks for that.
Just as the wounds were beginning to heal I am yet again ripped asunder.

*sob...*It's your own fault, you should have realised when she was classified under "hardware".

Aurora
05-09-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi! It’s been a wile.
Just want to tell you that I reinstall the drivers and didn’t help. The computer is getting slower by the day. Now it is not just HD, it is like opening programs too (IE for example).
Could it be RAM? Is there a way to check if the entire RAM is working without actually changing it?

Snee
05-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Do you have DMA enabled?

Have a look if it's running in PIO for some strange reason.

If it does then you might be able to set it to DMA manually.

Also, how often do you defrag and stuff like that?
And did you change the disc your pagefile was on after the reinstall, if you have more than one hd?

fkdup74
05-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I hate laptops.

as does the hamster no doubt, what with the limited room and all.
I sincerely hope its being fed lowfat Starbucks...

Aurora
05-16-2005, 01:38 PM
I did not undrestand that!
What is DMA and how do I check if it is running in PIO?
I defragment once (sometimes twice) a week, doesn't help much.
I do have two HD's, but one is external, and I don't really understand your question: did you change the disc your pagefile was on after the reinstall??? What page file?

I'm bad with hardware and don't know much about it.
:(

lynx
05-16-2005, 05:37 PM
Easy bit first: If you've got more than 1 internal hdd putting the virtual memory file (also known as page file) on a drive which doesn't hold your system and programs can give a big performance boost, but never put it on a removable drive. Since you've only got one internal drive you don't need to worry about that.

There are two possible modes for data transfer: Direct Memory Access or Programmed Input/Output. DMA is much quicker, and there are also several levels of DMA. To find out which your pc is using, go into Device Manager (via Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management) and find the IDE controller(s). Right click and select properties. Then find the Primary controller and look at the transfer mode for any drives you have connected, and repeat for the Secondary controller. If it says anything other than "Ultra DMA" for the HDD then you've got a problem.

I assume the external HDD is connected via USB or firewire. If so I don't think you can tell what mode that's running in since it isn't directly connected to a controller.

Snee
05-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Sorry, Aurora, I should have explained it better, I was in a hurry, and then I just forgot about making the post I guess.

Lynx explains it well, though.

I think it may be possible to set it to DMA manually, through the device manager, if it's running in PIO, I did it once with win2k and it worked. But if it is running in PIO it means that it's not being recognized properly, so if that is the problem, new chipset drivers may be necessary.

Aurora
05-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi guys, just to tell you that I'm on a trip right now, and that I'll try checking that thing out soon as I get home, I'll let you know what it sais :)

Aurora
05-27-2005, 03:31 AM
Hi Guys!

I’m back :D

I found what you told me and here is what it said:

Primary IDE Channel Properties:

Device 0 : Transfer mode: DMA if available

Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5

Device 1: Transfer mode: DMA if available

Current transfer mode: Not Applicable

Secondary IDE Channel Properties:

Device 0 : Transfer mode: DMA if available

Current transfer mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2

Device 1: Transfer mode: DMA if available

Current transfer mode: Not Applicable

Now for the transfer mode there is only one more option and is: PIO only.

Please divine these findings for me :blink: hahahahahaha

lynx
05-27-2005, 05:22 AM
Assuming the Primary Master is your internal HDD and the Secondary Master is your CD/DVD drive (if not, that's the problem), then it all looks good.

The fastest available speed is UDMA 6 which is the same as ATA133, but not many drives work at this speed. UDMA 5 is the same as ATA100, which is correct for most modern parallel ATA drives.

UDMA 2 is the same as ATA33, which is the speed used by many DVD drives and some CD burners.

In case people are interested, UDMA 4 is the same as ATA66.
There are also definitions for modes 0,1 and 3 (=16.6, 25 and 44.4 MHz respectively) but they've never been used.

Aurora
05-27-2005, 03:52 PM
I do have cd/dvd reader/burner.
So that means there is no problem there?
So what else can be a problem? Computer is only year and some old.

P.S. just curious, what is ATA100?

lynx
05-27-2005, 08:31 PM

ATA = (IBM) AT Attachment, the original name for the specification for connecting HDD to IBM AT computers.
100 = Speed 100MHz, approx = 100MB/s.

Aurora
06-01-2005, 01:14 AM

ATA = (IBM) AT Attachment, the original name for the specification for connecting HDD to IBM AT computers.
100 = Speed 100MHz, approx = 100MB/s.

But what does that mean? :blushing: :unsure: