PDA

View Full Version : How do I add a Wav-Riff wrapper?

lynx
04-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Does anyone have info on how to add a Wav-Riff wrapper to a raw audio stream?

I know it is possible because I've done it before, but I can't remember how it was done and I can't find any details at doom9 or videohelp, even though I'm pretty sure I got the info from one of those sites originally.

I'll explain the problem in slightly more detail: I've got some TV episodes which have AC3 audio tracks. The episodes themselves are slightly too big, because of the stupid 350MB release standard (13x345MB=4385MB fits DVD5, 13x350MB=4450MB doesn't fit DVD5).

I don't want to re-encode the video, but dropping the audio rate from 192k to 160k will probably not give a noticeable drop in quality. I can easily extract the soundtrack to a WAV-AC3 file using Virtualdub, and I can strip out and convert the AC3 audio to 160k using BeSweet.

However, at this point I'm stuck. Virtualdub will accept a WAV-AC3 file as an input stream, but it won't accept the raw AC3 file, and I can't find a way to wrap the AC3 audio in a WAV-RIFF wrapper, so I can't combine it back with the video stream.

I can convert the raw AC3 to WAV-PCM using Headac3he but then Virtualdub has no way of encoding back to AC3. :frusty:

I know I can encode as MP3, but AC3 would be preferable. Any suggestions?

ale5000
04-23-2005, 08:31 PM
Try VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.1 - http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

lynx
04-30-2005, 12:29 PM
I had forgotten all about this thread.

Thanks for the tip, VirtualDubMod does exactly what I want.