PDA

View Full Version : UK Election

JPaul
04-22-2005, 07:25 PM
The Official Monster Raving Loony Party http://www.omrlp.com/ have promised to introduce a 99p coin, in order to save on change.

This is the most sensible thing I have heard in years.

GepperRankins
04-22-2005, 07:42 PM
some of them sound like pretty good policies

Any MP whose constituency sells off a school playing field for development will be required to relinquish their own back garden as a replacement sports facility for the school.

bigboab
04-22-2005, 07:55 PM
We intend to make free university tuition available to all students named Grant.

:lol: :lol:

I think I know who I am going to vote for this time. :)

sArA
04-22-2005, 08:18 PM
Dammit....we don't have a candidate here.... :(

Biggles
04-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Anyone caught breaking the law will be made to mend it.

:lol:

Sadly neither do we. :(

SGG is a big fan - she was reading these out to me the other night. I spent a happy hour reading their rather comprehensive web site.

Rat Faced
04-22-2005, 09:14 PM
I'd rather vote for them than the big 2 at the moment.

Anyone know when Blaire will hold the referendum on PR he promised in 1997? :shutup:

GepperRankins
04-22-2005, 09:18 PM

Anyone know when Blaire will hold the referendum on PR he promised in 1997? :shutup:
what do you think this is. a democracy?

JPaul
04-22-2005, 09:52 PM

I think we got it for the Scottish Executive, or at least a hybrid system. Local winners plus selections from a list.

Biggles
04-22-2005, 10:10 PM
I think we got it for the Scottish Executive, or at least a hybrid system. Local winners plus selections from a list.

Also, I believe, we are about to get PR for local elections (much to the annoyance of some councillors)

Mr JP Fugley
04-22-2005, 10:50 PM
Also, I believe, we are about to get PR for local elections (much to the annoyance of some councillors)
One wonders why.

Do you think they prefer a majority of t'votes being held by one party. Rather than having to debate and compromise in order to reach accord. (I use the last as an homage to j2 using the word fiat).

Peerzy
04-22-2005, 11:34 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm im not sure who i will vote for, with no MRLP candidate in my area im forced to choose between the main 3, and right now for some reason Lib Dems seem the best choice, i don't really listen to all the hardline shit there gonna do, but TB is a cawk face who does nothing but lie, MH seems wierd and looks like a pedo, and CK seems like an alright guy, non of the bitchyness of the other two and he speaks funny :01:

uNz[i]
04-23-2005, 06:19 AM
Pardon my colonial ignorance, but is voting compulsory in the UK?

Mr JP Fugley
04-23-2005, 08:20 AM
']Pardon my colonial ignorance, but is voting compulsory in the UK?
No.

uNz[i]
04-23-2005, 09:56 AM
The reason I ask is that once a person registers to vote in Aussie land, that's it, they are obliged to vote at every federal election for the rest of thier natural.

There was a closed debate in parliament a few years ago, the topic of which was 'Should voting continue to be compulsory?'
It was decided for us by the politicians that yes, the public should be made to vote, because if we were given a choice, nobody would turn up at the polls on election day.

(Side note - That very debate happened just before a small percentage of the Aussie populace suddenly converted to the Jedi religion, which excuses its followers from voting because it goes against the church's beliefs. Coincidence?)

So anyway, I'm curious to know - what's the voter turnout usually like in the UK?

lynx
04-23-2005, 10:20 AM
']So anyway, I'm curious to know - what's the voter turnout usually like in the UK? :blink: I didn't know there was a dress code.

uNz[i]
04-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Of course there is... its the best way for political analysts to gauge trends at the polls. :P

GepperRankins
04-23-2005, 12:09 PM
i wonder if the result would be any different if everyone had to vote. i reckon a bunch of people just aren't voting because they can't trust any politicians so if they all gave the liberal pussies their vote they could win the country :01:

bigboab
04-23-2005, 12:59 PM
']Of course there is... its the best way for political analysts to gauge trends at the polls. :P

Too much danger of a tie. :)

I wonder how many of the MRL Party original ideas have been adopted. The 24 hour drinking is one. :)

Guillaume
04-23-2005, 01:18 PM
4 wheel drive vehicles will only be allowed to drive off road, therefore stopping mothers picking up their children from school in them when they only live 100 yards down the road. They will also be wrapped in bubble wrap to make them safer.

We'd really need a french branch of the OMRLP.

Oh, wait. We've already got the communists.

Biggles
04-23-2005, 08:00 PM
We'd really need a french branch of the OMRLP.

Oh, wait. We've already got the communists.

There is not a French equivilent? I am surprised (genuinely - I would have thought such a surreal response to politics would be very French)

Is it just me or is this the most lack-lustre election ever? That is two weekends in a row I have wandered into town to find political types to debate my views on why they are wrong (well a boy needs a hobby) to find nothing - not even someone punting leaflets. There are no posters or cards hanging from lamp posts. Has it been cancelled and no one has bothered to tell me? :blink:

I suppose they are to be congratulated for not bothering people really. :)

GepperRankins
04-23-2005, 09:01 PM
maybe they realised the words "vote conservative" and some old guy's name have no effect on one's political persuasion

Peerzy
04-23-2005, 09:25 PM
If anyone watches Bremier, Birdy & Fortune or whatever its called on Channel 4 thats very funny for taking the piss out of politicans.

keyser_soze
04-24-2005, 12:56 AM
Don't believe half the things politicions say and the other half is bullshit :01:

GepperRankins
04-24-2005, 01:08 AM
http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/extremeright.php

Mr JP Fugley
04-24-2005, 03:19 PM
We get the Government we deserve.

If you can't be arsed voting, don't moan about who gets elected.

Clichés are ten a penny.

GepperRankins
04-24-2005, 03:35 PM
If i vote lib-dem then get labour i can moan?

bigboab
04-24-2005, 03:51 PM

If you are too liberal and end up in labour, you will moan. The doctors could be a bit surprised too. :)

Mr JP Fugley
04-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Yup, so long as you make the effort you get moaning rights.

Except about the people you voted for, coz you picked them.

GepperRankins
04-24-2005, 04:10 PM
even if it turns out they dont even try to meet any of their targets and are a bit shit in general

Peerzy
04-24-2005, 04:27 PM
Clichés are ten a penny.

Can I save money by ordering in bulk :unsure:

Mr JP Fugley
04-24-2005, 06:03 PM
even if it turns out they dont even try to meet any of their targets and are a bit shit in general
Yup, coz it's up to you to make sure that they stick to their manifesto promises.

GepperRankins
04-24-2005, 06:13 PM
Yup, coz it's up to you to make sure that they stick to their manifesto promises.
yeah. the first step in doing that would be complaining about it though.

Snee
04-24-2005, 07:03 PM
The Official Monster Raving Loony Party http://www.omrlp.com/ have promised to introduce a 99p coin, in order to save on change.

This is the most sensible thing I have heard in years.
They have my vote, and I don't even live in the UK :01:

Don't believe half the things politicions say and the other half is bullshit

Do you believe the bullshit then? :blink:

Rat Faced
04-24-2005, 07:54 PM

Like erm... doing the opposite on Top Up Fee's and Tax to that which was promised?

How'd we do that then? He ignored the vast majority when they made sure he knew what we wanted over Iraq...

Cant vote Labour again whilst that lot are in.. and by the current polls in Newcastle, Labour may lose these seats, like they did the council ;)

My LibDem vote might not be wasted after all :01:

Hi, I'm Charles Kennedy, you may remember me from such party political broadcasts as: "If it's the economy, then we're stupid" and "Ginger Scots – not as bad as bald Tories".

I would like to take up just a wee bit of your precious time – and it is precious, given the way Gordon Brown continues to tax it – to explain just why voting Liberal Democrat is not as silly as it sounds.

Firstly, the Lib Dems are a personal, caring, sharing party, so please, call me Charlie, or Chas, or Chuck, or anything you like really – I'm 'down' with all sorts – that's what being a Lib Dem is all about (so long as you're not too successful – we don't like your sort round here, you greedy capitalist swine!).

Politics can often be seen as intensely boring, and often it is, but that's what we're here for: we're intensely boring too - sometimes, more so than the so-called 'opposition'! But we do try to make it more exciting, and we try ever so hard; we've been campaigning on entertainingly fatuous election gambits for years now, but unfortunately you lot have taken such little notice that sometimes I wonder whether it is all in vain. But now we're different. Honest.

A close personal friend of mine, John Cleese, taught us all not to mention the war. But I think, and I hope you agree with me, that war is an important thing, and thus should be mentioned. Unfortunately, I've been having trouble sleeping lately – kids, eh? – so haven't been able to talk properly about anything, and with Menzies getting on a bit and Lembit under orders not to open his mouth during the campaign, we've been a little slow to seize this opportunity. Which is why I'm taking the time to remind you that we still exist, and we care. About you, about the war, about students, and therefore, the very future of our beloved country.

Fair enough, I may not have a clue when it comes to how we're going to run the economy, but I'm sure we'll figure it out. Together. You and me.

So go on, vote Lib Dem – The Real Alternative. It'll be fun. Think of it as a duty – a British imperative to support the gutsy underdog. You can even make a day of it – go out and get lashed, then stumble into the voting booth and vote for me. Then, look forward to even more exciting times as we work out just how to run a country!

Failing that, remember the others. When he's not clubbing baby seals to death with Brown's budget briefcase, Tony Blair worships Satan and lunches with George Bush. Michael Howard, on the other hand, sleeps in a coffin and eats the children of the working class. So even if you don't want to vote for me, vote against them, which means voting for me – which makes everybody happy! That has to be a good thing.

Love and drinks,

Charlie K.

Strange, even the satirists make him sound better than the alternatives :lol: