PDA

View Full Version : If your country started a wrongful war....

fkdup74
04-24-2005, 04:02 PM
I am not talking about stamping yer feet and protesting. ;)
Would you take up arms against your country, if a rebellion started?
(This is kind of my answer to the WWIII/fight for country poll.)
Just trying to weed out the cowards. :shifty:

100%
04-24-2005, 04:05 PM
poll?

I am always living in the wrong country
that country is not mine
so how does your question apply to immigrants, long term tourists or refugees?
What is "your" country?

no need to answer

fkdup74
04-24-2005, 04:08 PM
no need to answer

then there was no need for you to post :P

GepperRankins
04-24-2005, 04:13 PM
i'd do the stamp feet and protest first, boycott and make a nuisense of myself first. if all else fails yes i would fight

Peerzy
04-24-2005, 04:29 PM
No, I believe in my country and it's leaders (AKA Im American)

:P

Im not sure to be honest, i might refuse to put litter in bins if i was really pissed off.

fkdup74
04-24-2005, 04:48 PM
hmmm....looks like i left out a couple of necessary options :(
"not sure" and "if all else fails" good points ppls
but i thought when i added teh "i just wanna shoot manker" option,
that i had all bases covered :lol:

i vote to shoot manker...then we can abuse grammar w/o fear of ramification :shifty:

:P

GepperRankins
04-24-2005, 05:14 PM
yeah it does. twas too much effort to stop the iraq invasion though

fkdup74
04-24-2005, 05:22 PM
In America, the rebellion should have been won or lost before any war of pure, covetous aggression was declared.

agreed, but dont spoil my poll, ok? :P :lol:

DarthInsinuate
04-24-2005, 05:27 PM
i guess it depends how well the propaganda works on me

Snee
04-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I am not talking about stamping yer feet and protesting. ;)
Would you take up arms against your country, if a rebellion started?
(This is kind of my answer to the WWIII/fight for country poll.)
Just trying to weed out the cowards. :shifty:
Again, cowardice doesn't manifest itself in not wanting to shoot anyone.

You are just being silly now.

First, in the other thread you ask us if we wouldn't feel guilty if we didn't join the army if our friends and loved ones did, now you want us to possibly start a war against them, assuming they did what the government told them. :huh:

And if it's not our friends and loved ones then it might still be people just like us who might, for any number of reasons have chosen, or been made to fight for the government.

GepperRankins
04-24-2005, 06:11 PM
nearly 2% of the entire population of britain amassed in london to protest against the iraq war. not a gnat's weight eh?

now imagine how many more millions couldn't be there because of the cost, work, school or any other responsibility

plus polls suggested over 80% of the population were against the war.

i guess we just were happier to go on with our regular lives than overthrow the government

100%
04-24-2005, 06:30 PM
i guess we just were happier to go on with our regular lives than overthrow the government

good point - but it depends how "far away" it is and how much it affects our "daily lives"

Snee
04-24-2005, 06:32 PM
One might reasonably question why a dissenter would shun beliefs shared by friends and loved ones.

If, however, the dissenter was a student (as opposed to one for whom the quest for knowledge is merely on-going), such a crevasse might be more easily understood.

The endemic indoctrination rampant in academia today needs to be scrubbed away by reality.
I don't know if that was a dig at me personally or not :huh:

There are, as always reasons as to why something like it might happen.

Fkdup mentioned people being drafted.

If that happens, and they get sent to war, while dissent grows on the home-front, they might entirely miss out on what happens at home, oppressive governments have been known to use censure after all, a situation where these people then being recalled to fight the horrible rebels without being told any of the particulars of the situation isn't entirely implausible, in fact I think it has happened once or twice throughout history, and the army does its best to teach you how to follow orders after all, so there's no guarantee they'd immediately rebel in turn.

I'm pretty sure instances of members of the same family fighting on opposite sides of a conflict because they've been in contact with different elements who have influenced their opinions are more common than you think.

In the second world war this happened, and cousins of german descent, for instance, would fight on both sides, I'm fairly certain I've read about it a few times.

The same thing probably happened during your civil war, and during the revolution in China. As far as I know, the older generations weren't quite as fond of the revolution when it happened.

I really don't think you have time to make sure it isn't someone you know in a grand scale battle before firing at them.

It seems such a waste, a war.

Civil protests might take time, lots of time, but if they mean that no one has to die unnecessarily then that's the way to choose.

fkdup74
04-24-2005, 07:06 PM
You are just being silly now.cant argue with that :P :lol:

I'm pretty sure instances of members of the same family fighting on opposite sides of a conflict because they've been in contact with different elements who have influenced their opinions are more common than you think.hence the "I'd shoot my own mother...." option :P

GepperRankins
04-24-2005, 07:22 PM
One might reasonably question why a dissenter would shun beliefs shared by friends and loved ones.

If, however, the dissenter was a student (as opposed to one for whom the quest for knowledge is merely on-going), such a crevasse might be more easily understood.

The endemic indoctrination rampant in academia today needs to be scrubbed away by reality.
one can have different oppinions to their family. that isn't even questionable

what about students?

lets just ban freedom of thought, that'll make the world a better place :01:

Busyman
04-24-2005, 07:57 PM
I voted yes.

Luckily here, there would be alot of back and forth diplomacy before that ever arose.

Snee
04-24-2005, 08:03 PM
cant argue with that :P :lol:

hence the "I'd shoot my own mother...." option :P
Me, i wouldn't do it on purpose though. :unsure:

ziggyjuarez
04-24-2005, 09:18 PM
I said yes but i mean no.i live in my apartment and dont get into politics and wars.

GepperRankins
04-25-2005, 11:28 AM
80% said they were against it 2% were almost militant

did it need to be exaclty 51% of the population or more marching in london to be a mass movement then? http://moderation.invisionzone.com/style_emoticons/default/dabs.gif

GepperRankins
04-25-2005, 07:32 PM
you gotta start by making your voice heard. if people don't listen then you fight

manker
04-25-2005, 08:01 PM
Not quite understanding where you're coming from, j2. You said it wasn't a gnat's weight toward a mass-movement, Dave correctly disputed it.

He didn't assert that it was a mass movement, he simply said that it was more than a gnat's weight toward it. Two percent of an entire country's population travelling to London to protest against a decision undertaken by it's government is rather substantial - particularly in our, relatively lackadaisical, societies, eh.

MCHeshPants420
04-25-2005, 08:09 PM
it is merely fact that a great lot of anti-war protest is mounted by students (who have the time, venue and inclination to do so), augmented by an older crowd who long for the days "at university", and treat such occasions as nostalgic reunions.

And hippies...you forgot hippies. :dry:

manker
04-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Quite true, but the psychology of the mass movement still applies.Well ... yeah, but you brought it up to dispute Dave's point about it being more than a gnat's weight, the mass-movement psycology doesn't work either because this protest demonstrates the depth of feeling among people who reside here concerning helping big boys bully smaller kids. If the government continued with similar foreign policy, the next statistic could be 5%, and then 10% ... and then ... .

It may only have been 2% that felt compelled to shift their arses this time but the 80% is relevant as mass-movement could be used as a metaphor for a vote swing next month. Elections can be lost on a single issue, the opposition parties are homing in on this very one.

In any case, talk is cheap; this nonsense about "almost militant" is bloody hilarious-I feel that way about nearly everything.

Don't you?Oh quite. I will bash a keyboard all day about my opinions and ideas but I didn't go to the protest :D

GepperRankins
04-25-2005, 08:23 PM
lackadaisical

:blink:

i'm gonna leave you guys to use your long words to argue about this shit. even though i don't talk like some kind of self righteous thesaurus, i'm always right

Smith
04-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Ide give my goverment the fists of furry :cool:

MCHeshPants420
04-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Weren't you ignoring me?

What's changed? :huh:

Yogi (a hippy :dry: ) got promoted. Or demoted depending on your viewpoint.

MCHeshPants420
04-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Oh quite. I will bash a keyboard all day about my opinions and ideas but I didn't go to the protest :D

I went to a protest but it was more for the free coach trip to London than for the protest. Stupid shops were all closed though.:(

Mr JP Fugley
04-25-2005, 11:45 PM
and then 10% ... and then ... .
Now you know me, I'm an easy going sort of guy. Always have been, always will be.

I can live with your grammatical nazism ... usually.

However to type your ellipsis, leave a space, then place a fool stop is frankly beyond the pale.

You, Sir have taken that too far, ken.

JPaul
04-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Stupid shops were all closed though.:(
I think they closed them all because the Anarchists were so well organized that day. :blink:

manker
04-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Now you know me, I'm an easy going sort of guy. Always have been, always will be.

I can live with your grammatical nazism ... usually.

However to type your ellipsis, leave a space, then place a fool stop is frankly beyond the pale.

You, Sir have taken that too far, ken.AFAIC, it's the only logical course of action when confronted with a situation that demands an ellipsis at the end of a sentence, anything else would be utter ludocrisy.

You, dear fellow, have dangled your rod in a swirlsome eddy :snooty:

JPaul
04-26-2005, 09:16 AM
AFAIC :lol:

Don't try the reverse double roddery on me that's just being ridiclious.

maebach
05-11-2005, 03:06 AM
its a pretty good poll i must say