PDA

View Full Version : 2005 PFA Player Of The Year Award

Peerzy
04-25-2005, 12:25 AM
http://www.chelseafc.com/images/players/1718.jpg

:01:

Chelsea's John Terry has won the 2005 Professional Footballers' Association (PFA) Player of the Year Award.

The defender beat off competition from team-mates Frank Lampard and Petr Cech, 2004 winner Thierry Henry, Steven Gerrard and Andrew Johnson.

The PFA Young Player Award went to Manchester United and England striker Wayne Rooney.

Shaka Hislop received the Special Merit Award, after his involvement with the "Show Racism The Red Card" campaign.

Terry said he was amazed to have been voted the best player of the year by his peers.

"It is unbelievable and the ultimate accolade to be voted for by your fellow professionals whom you play against week-in and week-out," said Terry.

"You just go out there and try to give it your best, and for them to show their appreciation and vote for me is fantastic.

PREMIER LEAGUE XI
Petr Cech (Chelsea)
Gary Neville (Man Utd)
John Terry (Chelsea)
Rio Ferdinand (Man Utd)
Ashley Cole (Arsenal)
Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
Arjen Robben (Chelsea)
Shaun Wright-Phillips (Man C)
Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
Andrew Johnson (C Palace)

"For Peter, Lamps and myself to be voted in, it was important that one of us won it.

"It has been a real special season with Chelsea and this just adds to it.

"I want to thank all of my team-mates, because without them this would not have happened.

"It is my first year as captain and they have helped me a lot, on and off the pitch."

The awards were hugely successful for Terry's Chelsea team, which supplies four of the Premier League's Team of the Year.

Terry is joined in the side by goalkeeper Cech, midfielder Lampard and winger Arjen Robben.

Terry's England central defensive partner Rio Ferdinand, of Manchester United, is also included, alongside Old Trafford team-mate Gary Neville.

Arsenal full-back Ashley Cole completes the team's defence.

Liverpool captain Gerrard and Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips complete the midfield alongside Lampard and Robben.

The two-man strike force is made up of 2004 PFA winner Henry of Arsenal and Crystal Palace forward Johnson.

Terry comes first with Lampard coming runner up for a second time in 2 years, quite harsh on Lampard in a way as he's deserved to win it both years, but theres just been a player slightly better.

Also Rooney won yound player of the year with Arjen Robben coming second, which is amazing seeing as he has spent more than 50% of the season out with injuries.

After Robben played 45minutes at yesterdays match Jose has said Robben will be at full fitness and ready to cause thw Liverpool defence problems in there Champions League clash on Wednesday.

{I}{K}{E}
04-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Robben :01: