PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft And Riaa

merlin-1
04-07-2003, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE]WMP in the future (When?) will be checking for hidden authorization codes in downloaded music. They plan on enforcing their own version of copy control. RIAA and M'soft have gotten together and you will not be able to play whatever you happen to have.

If Msoft is planning to do this i'm dumping my wmp.Would'nt this be considered a privacy issue.

Jibbler
04-07-2003, 01:50 PM
There is already some mp3 files which require a licence to copy to disc. This means they will play in WMP9 but I can't burn them to CD. In the rare occasions when this happens, just search for another copy of the file. B)

4play
04-07-2003, 01:59 PM
how will m$ be able to prevent the playing of divx, xvid and ogg?

the answer is thery can't.

and who uses wmp for mp3 :rolleyes:

Fatal Error
04-07-2003, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE]WMP in the future (When?) will be checking for hidden authorization codes in downloaded music. They plan on enforcing their own version of copy control. RIAA and M'soft have gotten together and you will not be able to play whatever you happen to have.

If Msoft is planning to do this i'm dumping my wmp.Would'nt this be considered a privacy issue.
I would consider it a privacy issue. I really dont think it would be in their interest to do this however. Its NOT illegal to download copyrited material for your personal use, only when you upload it, or "otherwise distribute" it, does it become illegal.

My feeling is that once the material is on your computer.. its your business, and any effort to control it after that point would be privacy invasion.

Just my opinion.

merlin-1
04-08-2003, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE]My feeling is that once the material is on your computer.. its your business, and any effort to control it after that point would be privacy invasion.

Just my opinion.

Same here!Whats on my computer is my buisness.

Switeck
04-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Windows Media Player has been doing this for WMA and WMV files since version 7.0

Fatal Error
04-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Switeck@8 April 2003 - 11:29
Windows Media Player has been doing this for WMA and WMV files since version 7.0
I read a post in the forum some time ago that linked it to an article.. in essence, that M$ was in the process of developing a file-sharing app that they planned to incorporate in a future version of Windows.. this was NOT an "anti-filesharing" app, I cant find the original post, but I was wondering if you heard anything about this.. I guess they figured they could cash in on the market..regardless of the RIAA/MPAA campaign.

scribblec
04-08-2003, 04:11 PM
i use media p[layer for everything
even though i could get alternatives

Fatal Error
04-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by solidsnake@8 April 2003 - 12:11
I still use it also.

Fatal Error
04-08-2003, 05:35 PM
Ok.. I found the post (http://www.klboard.ath.cx/bb/index.php?act=ST&f=13&t=18212&st=0&#entry115337) that I was referring to.
and here's the article (http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-986127.html)

I also seem to remember a few years back when M$ incorporated the use of UGI's (unique global identifiers) into one of their O/S's software, and when it was discovered that a user could be "tracked" with it.. they were FORCED to come up with a way to disable it.. people refused to buy it. I guess people just don't like to be "spied" on. :D

Edit: corrected url

merlin-1
04-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by solidsnake@8 April 2003 - 12:11
Same here! So far no problems guess i'll have to watch my M$ updates.

The Knife Thrower
04-08-2003, 07:49 PM
I use WMP9 also. But I prevent it from connecting to the internet by using Zone alarm Pro.

lunatacs
04-08-2003, 09:26 PM
I dont use much of media player, In fact, I rather use videolan or bsplayer. Don't see whats this whole idea of media player. It's only good for watching streaming videos or anything else streaming...another then that, useless, sorry. :(

Jibbler
04-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by The Knife Thrower@8 April 2003 - 14:49
I use WMP9 also. But I prevent it from connecting to the internet by using Zone alarm Pro.
This makes no sense. It doesn't even connect to Microsoft, it connects to a database that holds CDDA info for songs.

Jibbler
04-08-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by lunatacs@8 April 2003 - 16:26
I dont use much of media player, In fact, I rather use videolan or bsplayer. Don't see whats this whole idea of media player. It's only good for watching streaming videos or anything else streaming...another then that, useless, sorry. :(
Its integrated into the operating system, which means you don't need to open any other programs, which use up your valuable resources. I have always wondered why people have 100 different players on their machines that do the same thing...? :huh:

koko67
04-09-2003, 03:52 AM
i don't use wmp for listening to music. it suxors.

i only use winamp and xmms. B)