PDA

View Full Version : IE6 v. Firefox

04-25-2005, 11:02 PM
ive heard good things about firefox. what are the advantages/disadvantages compared to IE6?

Guillaume
04-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Advantages:
Pop up blocker.
Open source.
Tabbed browsing.
Extensions.
Dozens of skins.

Disadvantages:
First load slow.
Can be a resource hog.

tesco
04-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Oh firefox without a doubt!!!

harrycary
04-25-2005, 11:35 PM
The #1 reason for using Firefox over IE is the simple fact that Firefox is not tied to your OS.

That in itself is reason enough to use anything else other then IE.

orcutt989
04-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Advantages:
Pop up blocker.
Open source.
Tabbed browsing.
Extensions.
Dozens of skins.

Disadvantages:
First load slow.
Can be a resource hog.

*Disadvantages (Added)
Wont load some flash and java scripts, not to mention some xml's, and other things of that sort.

If the website isnt, amzon.com, ebay.com, or firefox.com, then you arent going to get anywhere, very fast.

sArA
04-25-2005, 11:46 PM
I use Firefox for all my browsing apart from when I come to this forum...then I have to use IE so that I can use the Mod tools, smilies etc. :dry:

Soooooo anyone with a fix for that?

DarthInsinuate
04-25-2005, 11:57 PM
i think sm :) ilies w :shifty: ork fine :mellow: now

peat moss
04-25-2005, 11:57 PM
First load slow ? Does Fifefox still have that option to load at start up ? But I guess that would play in to the second disadvantage ! To be honest never noticed before . I guess we should be thankful for the choice ,as someone said the other day I use both.

DarthInsinuate
04-25-2005, 11:59 PM
it seems to start up a little faster in the more recent versions, or i've just gotten used to it.

something i like is being able to shove your own personalised version, extensions and all, on a portable drive then run it on another computer

peat moss
04-26-2005, 12:08 AM
it seems to start up a little faster in the more recent versions, or i've just gotten used to it.

something i like is being able to shove your own personalised version, extensions and all, on a portable drive then run it on another computer

The mozbackup is nice also . I just like a program that I can customise to suite
"ME" . With IE thats pretty tuff ! :)

skelley521
04-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Has anyone tried FireTuneUp....it's an optimizer/tweaker for firefox.

peat moss
04-26-2005, 01:04 AM
Has anyone tried FireTuneUp....it's an optimizer/tweaker for firefox.

No will give it a try. :) Made me think of this old tweak tho .

http://forevergeek.com/open_source/make_firefox_faster.php

tesco
04-26-2005, 01:39 AM
I use Firefox for all my browsing apart from when I come to this forum...then I have to use IE so that I can use the Mod tools, smilies etc. :dry:

clearing cache usually fixes it.

peat moss
04-26-2005, 01:47 AM
For what its worth. some word on EI 7 :

http://news.zdnet.com/Microsoft+discloses+some+IE+7+plans/2100-9588_22-5683842.html?part=netscape-zdnet&tag=mynetscape&subj=technews

fkdup74
04-26-2005, 05:21 AM

mod functions are fine on another forum that I mod
but that's an IPB forum, if that means anything
and smilies work fine for me here w/FF
maybe you need to tweak some settings? :unsure:

orcutt989
04-26-2005, 10:09 PM
I forgot to add, you can't play music videos at yahoo.launch.com on Firefox either, not to mention any other kinds of streamed, embedded videos.

goucho
04-26-2005, 10:11 PM
well i tried firefox today and it was a disaster......didnt like it from the start so uninstalled and my pc went potty......folder browsing was a mess etc. Ended up with a system restore.

Snee
04-26-2005, 10:19 PM
Sara, fkd is right, it shouldn't a prob, unless there's something radicaly different with VB.

And orcutt, I can't even name the last time I had any probs with ff not reaching a site, and what it doesn't play through a plugin I can dl and run anyway.

I think I've needed to open one single site in IE these last few months (when on one of the operating systems I have ff installed), and that was to play an embedded sound (maybe there was a prob with some flash game too, can't remember), and that was due to crappy programing on the sitemaker's part.

And I've never had it screw with the browsing of my folders either.

Most likely that was due to something else, system restore is usually a sure way to screw up your OS, though.

sArA
04-26-2005, 10:34 PM
Well, I cleared my cache but it still won't work properly..

peat moss
04-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Well, I cleared my cache but it still won't work properly..

Have you tryed reinstalling ? :)

@sara , just guessing here but do you have adblock inabled ? I can't post smilies unless I disable adblock ! :( Don't know why either, because some times it works sometimes not.

Peerzy
04-27-2005, 01:01 AM
I forgot to add, you can't play music videos at yahoo.launch.com on Firefox either, not to mention any other kinds of streamed, embedded videos.

I can play most imbedded videos fine, Shockwave and java is good to. Quicktime doesnt load but i have the Load this page in IE extension. Also XML pages are fucked because the webpage is written for IE and IE alone meaning other browsers have to try there hardest to read some badly written code aimed at a browser with little to no secruity updates.

Busyman
04-27-2005, 01:24 AM
Advantages:
Pop up blocker.
Open source.
Tabbed browsing.
Extensions.
Dozens of skins.

Disadvantages:
First load slow.
Can be a resource hog.
The mere fact that I don't have to go through all the tweaking is reason enough that I don't use FireFox.

I have a popup blocker (which is easy to come by) and a tabbed interface on IE. I also can change to different skins.

I have no hassles whatsoever yet FireFox users have had to tinker with their "settings".

Right now it's IE for me. I wasn't that impressed with FireFox. :dry:

Peerzy
04-27-2005, 01:28 AM
I install and use, i spend maybe 5-10minutes after each re-install of Windows grabbing my themes and extensions that just add to the pleasure of using Firefox, i need no setup time to have it up and running 30 times better than IE. It even imports your favourites and what not from that plague of a browser.

peat moss
04-27-2005, 01:34 AM
The mere fact that I don't have to go through all the tweaking is reason enough that I don't use FireFox.

I have a popup blocker (which is easy to come by) and a tabbed interface on IE. I also can change to different skins.

I have no hassles whatsoever yet FireFox users have had to tinker with their "settings".

Right now it's IE for me. I wasn't that impressed with FireFox. :dry:

I think thats what most FF users like . Its the tweaking part and just adding options that "WE" want . I admit its not for everyone , but its not just for power users either. Simple extenions add ons are a joy , If I don't like it it I uninstall. EG: Mouse cursers or popup blockers . I think what I'm trying to say is we have a choice , were not limited like some IE users. :)

Busyman
04-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I think thats what most FF users like . Its the tweaking part and just adding options that "WE" want . I admit its not for everyone , but its not just for power users either. Simple extenions add ons are a joy , If I don't like it it I uninstall. EG: Mouse cursers or popup blockers . I think what I'm trying to say is we have a choice , were not limited like some IE users. :)
I haven't seen enough add-ons to warrant a switch or headache.

Almost the same shit that's on FF I can get for IE.

I have tabbed browsing and it is most nice. :D

It seems there are many users that don't know about FF and many FF users that don't know that the same shit can be had in IE. :rolleyes:

I remember many users switching to MYIE2 for tabbed browsing while I sat quietly with a tabbed IE browser.

Busyman
04-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I install and use, i spend maybe 5-10minutes after each re-install of Windows grabbing my themes and extensions that just add to the pleasure of using Firefox, i need no setup time to have it up and running 30 times better than IE. It even imports your favourites and what not from that plague of a browser.
Why do you reinstall Windows? :blink:

sArA
04-27-2005, 07:42 PM
Have you tryed reinstalling ? :)

@sara , just guessing here but do you have adblock inabled ? I can't post smilies unless I disable adblock ! :( Don't know why either, because some times it works sometimes not.

I will give the adblock disable thingy a go.

I am using version 1.0 atm as 1.03 misbehaved. I will reinstall and see if that helps if that doesn't work.

Erm....stupid question...but how do I disable adblock without having to uninstall it?

Peerzy
04-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Why do you reinstall Windows? :blink:

I mean like when installing a new hard drive i do a fresh Windows install, when im upgrading friends computers from 98 to XP or building computers and installing Windows as an OS.

Guillaume
04-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Erm....stupid question...but how do I disable adblock without having to uninstall it?

/pats Sara on the head.

Tools>Extensions , right-click on adblock, choose "disable", restart FF. :snooty:

sArA
04-27-2005, 08:06 PM
/pats Sara on the head.

Tools>Extensions , right-click on adblock, choose "disable", restart FF. :snooty:

Oooooh! You patronising bastard!

Ta for the help...I was looking at the adblock bit and didn't notice the extensions bit.... :blushing:

sArA
04-27-2005, 08:09 PM
It worked!!

Guillarme....my hero....:wub:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mod tools and smilies all working now..... :naughty:

Guillaume
04-27-2005, 08:15 PM
Guillarme....my hero....:wub:

Meh. At least, you could try and spell your hero's name correctly. :dry:

sArA
04-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Meh. At least, you could try and spell your hero's name correctly. :dry:

Me is soooooo embarrassed Monsieur Guillaume....Je suis vraiment désolé pour mon erreur svp me pardonne :blushing:

Sorta thing.... :lol:

Snee
04-27-2005, 08:51 PM
I can play most imbedded videos fine, Shockwave and java is good to. Quicktime doesnt load but i have the Load this page in IE extension.
Quicktime loads for me in ff, I dunno' how, though, as some people seem to have probs with that.

Can't even remember how I got it to work :blink:

Storm
04-28-2005, 02:05 AM
the thing that pisses me off about IE is that it just collects to much spyware and such........
firefox doesnt have that, cause most people still use IE........ which (as said before) is a bad idea since it is linked to your OS

busyman: you dont like tweaking FF, but you do like tweaking IE? i mean, i cant remember the last time FF came with tabbed browsing as a standard option :P

as far as the tweaking goes, all i do is download the adblock extention, and get the IMDb search engine add-on and im good to go........

i do agree with FF becoming a resource hog over a couple of days....... it doesnt really bother me that much....... but you might need to restart FF every now and then (if you leave your comp on 24/7, else it aint an issue)

as for media plugins....... so many sites are getting used to there being a new heir to the browser throne that more and more sites offer a "doesnt work, click here to download" and then i just let it open in bsplayer (which is alot better than that other crap microsoft produced, you know..... WMP :sick:

Busyman
04-28-2005, 04:49 AM
the thing that pisses me off about IE is that it just collects to much spyware and such........
firefox doesnt have that, cause most people still use IE........ which (as said before) is a bad idea since it is linked to your OS

busyman: you dont like tweaking FF, but you do like tweaking IE? i mean, i cant remember the last time FF came with tabbed browsing as a standard option :P

as far as the tweaking goes, all i do is download the adblock extention, and get the IMDb search engine add-on and im good to go........

i do agree with FF becoming a resource hog over a couple of days....... it doesnt really bother me that much....... but you might need to restart FF every now and then (if you leave your comp on 24/7, else it aint an issue)

as for media plugins....... so many sites are getting used to there being a new heir to the browser throne that more and more sites offer a "doesnt work, click here to download" and then i just let it open in bsplayer (which is alot better than that other crap microsoft produced, you know..... WMP :sick:
Well that's the thing.....

I don't have to tweak IE. I added my tabbed browsing and other stuff and don't have to touch it again.
With FF all I hear is headache (I've used it for about a month and wasn't that impressed).

As far as spyware, I have a spyware blocker for that (except on my work laptop).

Even with WMP i have no problem with except I have to switch to others for Quicktime and Real files.

Monkster
04-28-2005, 05:19 AM
to each their own :)