PDA

View Full Version : Software DVD to CDR???

skelley521
04-26-2005, 12:48 AM
OK, I have a friend that has 'Home 3d Design' on DVD (2.96 G). The problem is that he doesn't have a DVD rom drive. Can I convert the DVD to CDR??

worldpease
04-26-2005, 05:38 AM
Im confused here,
is 'it' a software, or a Documentary?

If it's a software,
once open (exploring the Disc),
does it come in CD's?, folders that say like 'CD 1', 'CD 2' or
something like that?

RealitY
04-26-2005, 07:48 AM
If your just looking to use it then mount it with software like Alcohol 120% which has virtual drives...

4play
04-26-2005, 09:58 AM
your best bet would be to extract the data off the dvd to an iso then split it into a few rar files with a file size of 700 mb so you can burn them to cds. use the cds on your mates computer put the rar back together then mount the iso file.

its alot of work. i would just get your mate to buy a dvd drive they are so cheap these days.

Virtualbody1234
04-26-2005, 10:54 AM
... i would just get your mate to buy a dvd drive they are so cheap these days.
DVD ROM drive --- $23.00 http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827136057

Or even a DVD burner:

Dual layer DVD burner --- $49.99 http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152039

fkdup74
04-26-2005, 02:51 PM
you could break it down into cd-r ISOs, no problem
but i think you would have to edit the autorun, or something,
to get to, say, prompt for the next disc, etc.
maybe a look at the setup.ini, autorun.inf or something
may give you a clue as to how to do this

meh. gimme an address, i'll send a dvd-rom¹, for free* :lol:

¹Complimenatry unit will consist of (1) outdated, beige, extremely loud DVD-ROM drive.
Extra hardware, including, but not limited to: cables, jumpers, etc. provided at customers expense.

*Free shipping to the continental United States only. Applicable sales tax in AZ, CA, TX.
Air shipments excluded from free shipping offer. Fed-Ex shipping not available.
Not responsible for lost or damaged merchandise.

:lol:

orcutt989
04-26-2005, 07:42 PM
I would just suggest breaking it into RAR files, and burning those. Then when you want to install it, copy the RAR files on all all the CD's to the computer, extract all the files to the same folder, and then install the software. I dont see what good making ISO files would do, except allow you not to install the software, but in this case you do :shifty: so I would suggest the RAR files.

fkdup74
04-26-2005, 11:57 PM
I dont see what good making ISO files would do, except allow you not to install the software

an ISO is a disc image....how would that prevent you from installing? :blink:

orcutt989
04-27-2005, 12:10 AM
an ISO is a disc image....how would that prevent you from installing? :blink:

Ooop! Did you mean an ISO image that is DVD size? Sorry, I was thinking an ISO image that was only the size of a CD RW.. :blushing:

skelley521
04-27-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the ideas everyone, gonna try a few things ;)

fkdup74
04-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Ooop! Did you mean an ISO image that is DVD size? Sorry, I was thinking an ISO image that was only the size of a CD RW.. :blushing:

either, DVD-R or CD-R
it can be done, but probably too much work involved
it would be just a matter of f00kin about with the disc menu I would believe
or else you would have to compile a whole new setup.exe, fuck that :lol:

orcutt989
04-28-2005, 03:37 PM
either, DVD-R or CD-R
it can be done, but probably too much work involved
it would be just a matter of f00kin about with the disc menu I would believe
or else you would have to compile a whole new setup.exe, fuck that :lol:

If the software is on a DVD, chances are it is bigger than 1GB, or even 2GB's, so if they will have to make an ISO image that is that size..

Chewie
04-29-2005, 03:49 AM
you could break it down into cd-r ISOs, no problem
but i think you would have to edit the autorun, or something,
to get to, say, prompt for the next disc, etc.
maybe a look at the setup.ini, autorun.inf or something
may give you a clue as to how to do this

:lol:
It's not the autorun.ini that would need to be edited, but the setup file. That would be far too fiddly to be worth fucking with, though.

Unless there's 3 gigs of tutorials, videos, help files and extras (acrobat, DirectX etc) that could be ripped, this is a bit of a no-go, really.

suhaib
05-01-2005, 12:33 AM
burn onto dvd, then use alcohol to make image of 700 mb each....then use it onur friends pc